Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers In Print!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Scotrace and Paddy - Thank you! Yes, it's a WONDERFUL Christmas present. Even better is that I get to tell Mary Lou's story - she was only 19 when she went to Washington D.C. during the war to work for the FBI. She's still going strong at 87.

Mojito

One Too Many
What a brilliant feeling - and I like the fact that it's not just the idea of being in print that delights you, it's that you get to tell a story you're passionate about. Congratulations!

blendra

New in Town
my new eBook, Hatatorium: An Essential Guide to Hat Collecting

I joined Fedora Lounge a while ago, but you may not remember me because I haven't been back in a while.

Yesterday fellow hat collector Mary Robak (a medical administrator in Chicago) and I (a lawyer in Mill Valley, California) published an eBook on Smashwords.com called Hatatorium: An Essential Guide to Hat Collecting. It's 67,000 words long (180+ pages in full size pdf format). It is an interactive eBook for those with the latest generation of eReaders -- iPad, Nook Color, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox, although anyone can use the pdf version on their computers.

It is a reference manual on vintage hats (1900 on) to present, including info on 800+ milliners and store labels and the eras in which they were known to be active and other information useful in dating hats. It has thousands of links, many of which lead to a dedicated website database we created, which contains over 1,000 photographs of hats in our collections. It also links to many fine hats in museums with on line collections. This edition mostly focuses on women's hats, but also includes men's hats.

We listed Fedora Lounge in the Bibliography internet resources list.

Here is a link to the listing on Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/111578

We're hoping this book takes off because, in addition to wanting to encourage the wearing and collecting of vintage hats, we want to publish some more spin off eBook publications about vintage hats. If any other writers in the Fedora Lounge group are interested in participating such a project please talk to me.

Here is a link to the book and a coupon code anyone can use to get 1/3 off. Feel free to give the coupon code to anyone who might be interested.

Your coupon code is XS24W (not case sensitive).

Please share this code with prospective customers on your fan email lists, your blog or website, your social networks, or in your press releases and other promotions.

Customers enter the code prior to completing their checkout.

Promotional price: $9.99
Coupon Code: XS24W
Expires: January 1, 2012

I'm going to post this message also in the general section, if I can find where to post it, since men might be interested in the book too.

Brenda Grantland
Mill Valley, CA

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
I'm pretty excited to announce that Wearable Vintage Fashion, by Jo Waterhouse and Clare Bridge, which I've contributed a two page text & photo feature to about me being a 20s/30s vintage fashion enthusiast, is now available for pre-order on Amazon! I am thrilled and honoured that I was asked to be a part of this text, which promises to be a fascinating read for those of us who seek to integrate vintage fashion into our everyday lives. Visit http://www.vivays-publishing.com/wearable_vintage_fashion.htm for more info on the book and a few page mock-ups or go straight to Amazon to pre-order!

Kishtu

Practically Family
Two Types, that sounds very interesting - the very ticket for a birthday present for someone I know.

Sadly not vintage related, but I've just been commissioned to write a series of articles on early 19th century children's clothing.
The best bit is that I also get to provide the photographs. Oh no! I have to recreate lots of really gorgeous whitework embroidery! Oh, the tragedy!!!!

jameson

New in Town
Since it's tax season I know that I made a whopping $25 in royalties off of my e book this year.
So, my question is: does anybody know anything about promoting your work on a budget (of, say...$25)?

Mojito

One Too Many
titanic-valour.jpg

My biography of Harold Lowe, published this year by The History Press in the UK...there are US and Australian distributers, but Amazon is probably the quickest bet. Although the Titanic is perhaps a bit early for Lounge, I know it's a subject of some interest to the Loungers, and Lowe lived until 1944...so there's his WWI history, the 1920s on the liners (including a photo of him dressed as a Valentino inspired Sheik for a ship's costume party, complete with his own version of Agnes Ayres), his retirement in the Depression years and his voluntary WWII service, so it may be of interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto