Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love Letters

alexandra

Practically Family
This is probably going to sound really creepy and pathetic, but I'm going to throw it out there just because if you don't do it now, I know at least one of you will have the temptation to try it at some point in your life.

Does anyone else write love letters to imaginary WWII soldiers who never existed while pretending to live in the 1940's? Well, I do obviously. I know it's lame, but I like to put on a record and sit and write letters to people who I imagine wrote me back (obviously they never do. Maybe I should hire someone to write me back haha)

I have 3 people I write letters to:

Red Dennison - My best friend since the playpen.

Jack Williams - My English pilot love interest.

Johnny Morrison - My childhood sweetheart.

I have a whole storyline that's been going for sometime. It's almost like writing a novel, only without any of the street cred and plus 50 nerd points. It's fun though because I never know what's going to happen until I write a new letter.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it's wonderful!

What a great idea!
It shows that you are a romantic with a lot of imagination.
And you could gather them together and make a novel, sort of a fictinal Studs Terkel thing.

epr25

Practically Family
I would think of it more like being an author. I would think this is a common practice in the writing world. How else would books be so emotional and personal?

You know they aren't real so I think it's just being creative.

alexandra

Practically Family
I forgot how supportive this forum was. I'm glad you all see it as creative and imaginative.

I have a lot of fun because while I wouldn't actually like having friends and lovers overseas in WWII, I can't help but fall victim to the romance of the situation.

I think my goal in life is to act in one of those completely overdone WWII romance drama blockbusters haha.

And if anyone DOES do it, I think you should tell me who you write to. For fun.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I sometimes write letters to keep my writing up to scratch - I don't get enough practice any more, it's a cute thing to do though :) xx

TessTrueheart

This sounds a lot like one of my favourite writing exercises (I am a creative writing student at uni). "Ten lives I wish I had lived". I set my mind free and imagine lives, not just necessarily ones that I wish I had lived, just lives that pop up in my imagination. It's very interesting to see what pops up! And sometimes I will scare myself ;)

alexandra

Practically Family
I don't write back because it feels less real. Like TessTrueheart said about being a creative writing student, I'm an acting student so a lot of things in my life are about portraying a character. I think if I wrote back to myself it would break character or something. This way, I feel like it progresses more naturally. It's fun because I've learned so much about the three boys, even though they're imaginary.

I think it's cute that retrogirl and her husband write back and forth to each other. If I had a boy, I'm sure I'd peer pressure him into doing it, but now that I've had such lovely imaginary companions, he'd have to try really hard to please my love letter side!

ShortClara

One Too Many
I think it's wonderful! Any such creative hobby is just splendid in my opinion! When you're published, are we all invited to your fabulous book party?

alexandra

Practically Family
You can all come to the book party, but you all have to act and pretend like they're real letters and like it really, truly happened or you'll be banished!

alexandra

Practically Family
In the latest letters I wrote, I just landed a job on a radio hour doing voice acting and singing. I'm excite because I've been trying to get even a small break for a long time now and even though it's kind of a crummy part, at least it's something.

Heh.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Aw! That's wonderful, not creepy at all. Sometimes when I'm writing a note to my friend in school, I pretend it's a WWII letter. I write it in cursive and everything, I really don't know why! It's fun though. :)

epr25

Practically Family
I think it would be a good book. Interesting angle to take only one sided. Like hearing a phone conversation and trying to figure it all out.

Mary

Practically Family
It sounds just lovely!

I love love letters. Have never got any but I have written some to guys I liked. I seems very romantic. But was is a WWII-letter? And I'd love to hear what you like so much about writing them.

Is it more romantic cause you're not able to see eachother? Do you write old-fashioned declarations of love? Do you write about your everyday life?

I saw a friend last night who was rediciously in love but couldn't say what was so wonderful about the girlfriend. I so love to hear people speak of beauty.

And are there any love-letter-books you'd recommend. Sweden didn't participate in WWII so we don't have them here as much. And I suppose you have a stronger tradition cause the US is at war quite often. What do you and your men think of war?

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk