Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-69 Transport Coat

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Many aviators in Navy dirigibles wore them. There was definitely more room in an airship gondola to wear a long M-69 then inside a cramped bomber cockpit. I've also seen photos of Navy officers (Captains and Admirals) wearing them in extreme cold weather climates (such as the Aleutians).

And the Navy's sheepskin jackets were the M-444 and M-445.

Thor, I'm not sure, but isn't the M-445 the same as the AN-J-4? If they are, I could get a repro of one of those.

Edward

Bartender
C'mon everybody!

For real? That's cool!

The very one... Here's the photo of which I was thinking:

Don%27t_forget_me%28UK%29.jpg

The cover of a bio of Cochran, co-authored by Darryl Higham, something of a neo-rockabilly name in his own right (his current gig is playing lead guitar in his wife's eponymous Imelda May Band). I have a hazy memory of a long ago conversation about Darryl spending a long time on tour in the US looking forf one of these for himself. Not sure if he managed it, he's a big man(!) - got to be at least six three, and fairly broad. AFAIK, this is the photo that inspired him. It's the only one I've seen of Cochran in that coat, but it looks to be the same one to me.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Thor, I'm not sure, but isn't the M-445 the same as the AN-J-4? If they are, I could get a repro of one of those.

not the same but similar .... M445 has a different collar closeure and diamond patches on the sleeves ..... M445a has very similar button / latch closeure to the ANJ-4 and similar leather overlay on the sleeves.

You can get a repro of the :

M-444
M-445
M-445a

and the ANJ-4

with differing levels of accuracy based on original labeling and patterning which was slightly eerrr ... variable :)

I'm sure more experts on the sheepskins ( John Lever / Andrew S) could give more detail ..... HTH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points