Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Thanks.

Sharksgill-I would place an order for a couple hats if he announced this ribbon option. Perhaps we can pitch in for Michael's tuition to full ribbon school. You in? My checkbook is ready? (I date myself by using the checkbook reference. Last time I wrote a check was a long while ago.).

Sharksgill is of my fav ribbon treatment. So cool in eye appeal.

Ready to walk the walk. Eric

I'm in! Maybe if we just all ganged up on him and requested it, he would acquiesce. He does great ribbon/bow work; I can't imagine he wouldn't tackle a sharksgill with the same level of artistry.

Thanks.

Sharksgill-I would place an order for a couple hats if he announced this ribbon option. Perhaps we can pitch in for Michael's tuition to full ribbon school. You in? My checkbook is ready? (I date myself by using the checkbook reference. Last time I wrote a check was a long while ago.).

Sharksgill is of my fav ribbon treatment. So cool in eye appeal.

Ready to walk the walk. Eric
+1

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hat is in production. 6" crown, 2 3/4" brim with moderate flange. Natural beaver felt with !" ribbon and 3/8" brim binding. The ribbon color is commando which is a close match to the natural beaver. I am excited to see the finished product. Tried to post a picture of the crown and ribbon but the site would not allow. Listed it as too large.
Try Tapatalk as your photo host.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good afternoon Gannon hat thread folks. I am just wanted to share a couple of pics of wild Gannon's.

My Gannon and I were out and about in my neighborhood this afternoon.

i-cGJLJmB-M.jpg

i-3BwNg3T-S.jpg

Thankful to be a client of Gannon Hat Co. Best, Eric -

dschonn

Familiar Face
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I took several pictures yesterday evening, but when I try to upload them here, they come out sideways. So here are a couple of indoor shots from just moments ago. The hat has a six-inch open crown creased to about four and three quarters front and back and somewhat over five inches at the highest points along the sides. The brim is two and a half inches wide. The felt is dark brown beaver fur felt, and the band is a midnight blue vintage ribbon about an inch and three quarters wide. The brim is bound with a dark brown ribbon to match the felt.
IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0876.JPG
I'll try to get some good pictures of the bow and sweatband/liner with my good camera at some point.

I'm really enjoying the ability to crease and re-crease the hat on a whim. The felt is better than anything I've owned, although I've never owned a vintage hat of the era so prized around here, so I can't compare it with vintage felt. But I have put in a cattleman crease, a diamond, this center dent, and many other variations, and they all stay where I put them, and yet release without a trace when I want to change back to the center dent. Only the brim won't always stay where I put it. I expect it will soften up and be more responsive over time. I'll have to post some pictures of the crease possibilities as well.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I took several pictures yesterday evening, but when I try to upload them here, they come out sideways. So here are a couple of indoor shots from just moments ago. The hat has a six-inch open crown creased to about four and three quarters front and back and somewhat over five inches at the highest points along the sides. The brim is two and a half inches wide. The felt is dark brown beaver fur felt, and the band is a midnight blue vintage ribbon about an inch and three quarters wide. The brim is bound with a dark brown ribbon to match the felt.
View attachment 75423 View attachment 75422
I'll try to get some good pictures of the bow and sweatband/liner with my good camera at some point.

I'm really enjoying the ability to crease and re-crease the hat on a whim. The felt is better than anything I've owned, although I've never owned a vintage hat of the era so prized around here, so I can't compare it with vintage felt. But I have put in a cattleman crease, a diamond, this center dent, and many other variations, and they all stay where I put them, and yet release without a trace when I want to change back to the center dent. Only the brim won't always stay where I put it. I expect it will soften up and be more responsive over time. I'll have to post some pictures of the crease possibilities as well.
that's a beauty

the brim seems to have a quite flat flange so it most likely will not snap ....with a little steam the brim will do as you wish

Last edited:

dschonn

Familiar Face
It's taken me several days, but I've finally gotten around to taking some good pictures of my Gannon hat.
Top view of crease by dschonn, on Flickr

Hat on head by dschonn, on Flickr

I'm trying out this brim shape for now. It's kind of like the curve on the western hats I like best, and on a fedora of these dimensions looks very 1920s to me.

Liner shot by dschonn, on Flickr

Hat profile by dschonn, on Flickr

The hat seems to have lost some of the fulness it had out of the box; whereas the center crease initially pushed the front and back out slightly beyond parallel (the so-called "reverse taper"), now they are quite straight when creased and taper slightly when I push the crease out. I'm surprised that this should have happened so quickly, after less than a week's wear and a light sprinkle or two of rain. The effect is subtle for now, but I worry that the crown may continue to shrink.

Bow detail by dschonn, on Flickr

Sweatband stitching by dschonn, on Flickr

Invisible stitches by dschonn, on Flickr

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
It's taken me several days, but I've finally gotten around to taking some good pictures of my Gannon hat.

I'm trying out this brim shape for now. It's kind of like the curve on the western hats I like best, and on a fedora of these dimensions looks very 1920s to me.

The hat seems to have lost some of the fulness it had out of the box; whereas the center crease initially pushed the front and back out slightly beyond parallel (the so-called "reverse taper"), now they are quite straight when creased and taper slightly when I push the crease out. I'm surprised that this should have happened so quickly, after less than a week's wear and a light sprinkle or two of rain. The effect is subtle for now, but I worry that the crown may continue to shrink.

You and your hat look sharp sir. The felt and ribbon are dynamite. I like the brim shape. As you can tell from my postings I prefer a flatter town/country brim.

As to the reverse taper; I do not know. I have worn all of my Gannon's in the rain and the felt does tighten, but it has never distorted on my hats. Tightened felt can often produce the smoother feel that folks comment about. I would not worry. Wear the hat - you will be amazed at how durable it is. The beaver felt will shed water and dirt. Drop the hat, brush it off and you are good to go.

The ribbon stitching is grand. Congrats sir. Wear the hat with pride.

Best, Eric -

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

the hat looks great

I've worn every one of my Gannons in multiple downpours and have never experienced any difference in the felt ... not even a slight difference ... they are actually my go to rainy and snowy day hats because of their durability ... more so than even my Akubra hats

looks awesome ... wear it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ