Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

RJR

the hat looks great

I've worn every one of my Gannons in multiple downpours and have never experienced any difference in the felt ... not even a slight difference ... they are actually my go to rainy and snowy day hats because of their durability ... more so than even my Akubra hats

looks awesome ... wear it
+1

It's taken me several days, but I've finally gotten around to taking some good pictures of my Gannon hat.
Hat on head by dschonn, on Flickr

I'm trying out this brim shape for now. It's kind of like the curve on the western hats I like best, and on a fedora of these dimensions looks very 1920s to me.

That's a very nice hat, and I like the brim treatment. Like the others have said, My Gannons seem to true workhorses and have weathered some stiff elements. I'm very happy with all of them.

Wear yours in good health, sir!

i-F5Qd6dJ-S.jpg
i-MFnmnf9-S.jpg

i-cBDbLCB-M.jpg

Gannon Hat Co. whiskey, silver belly and blue felts worn the past two days.

Best to all hatted folks, Eric -
Mmmmm, love them all.

Seems like yesterday that I contacted Mike Gannon about my Navy creation. It is going on the block this weekend! I'm still pondering a charcoal brim binding like Eric's or going more formal with a matching brim. I have still been bugging him about special ribbon treatments, we will be were that goes. I should be posting a new Gannon in a very short time. I'm stoked!

Seems like yesterday that I contacted Mike Gannon about my Navy creation. It is going on the block this weekend! I'm still pondering a charcoal brim binding like Eric's or going more formal with a matching brim. I have still been bugging him about special ribbon treatments, we will be were that goes. I should be posting a new Gannon in a very short time. I'm stoked!

I am expecting mine to arrive today or tomorrow. Very excited to see it in the flesh.

I am envious of both of you.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

If it helps, Charcoal trimmings work well in the rain. Seriously though the charcoal is my deliberate attempt to have the hat stride comfortably between country/city wearings. Downtown would be a classy matching blue ribbon.

Congrats Red and Mark. I am excited for you fellows.

dschonn

Familiar Face
You and your hat look sharp sir. The felt and ribbon are dynamite. I like the brim shape. As you can tell from my postings I prefer a flatter town/country brim.

As to the reverse taper; I do not know. I have worn all of my Gannon's in the rain and the felt does tighten, but it has never distorted on my hats. Tightened felt can often produce the smoother feel that folks comment about. I would not worry. Wear the hat - you will be amazed at how durable it is. The beaver felt will shed water and dirt. Drop the hat, brush it off and you are good to go.

The ribbon stitching is grand. Congrats sir. Wear the hat with pride.

Best, Eric -

the hat looks great

I've worn every one of my Gannons in multiple downpours and have never experienced any difference in the felt ... not even a slight difference ... they are actually my go to rainy and snowy day hats because of their durability ... more so than even my Akubra hats

looks awesome ... wear it

That's a very nice hat, and I like the brim treatment. Like the others have said, My Gannons seem to true workhorses and have weathered some stiff elements. I'm very happy with all of them.

Wear yours in good health, sir!

Thanks, all! I had hoped it would be a very durable hat. And by all accounts it sounds like it should be. It could be the memory of the crease in the felt that causes the appearance of taper; since the rain, the crease won't come all the way out back to smooth open crown (not without steam anyway). And then of course the appearance of taper changes dramatically at different angles, and maybe the crease changed between being photographed and being rained on. I'm not trying to freak out just yet.

Very Stylish , looks the way I would want it in every way @dschonn , I think you'll be fine . I can't recall , did you go with 100% Beaver ? Have a great Memorial Day and remembrance . Are you in east Nashville ?

Thanks! I did go with the 100% beaver; Mr. Gannon strongly recommended it over the rabbit felt he is able to get. I live in south Nashville.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, all! I had hoped it would be a very durable hat. And by all accounts it sounds like it should be. It could be the memory of the crease in the felt that causes the appearance of taper; since the rain, the crease won't come all the way out back to smooth open crown (not without steam anyway). And then of course the appearance of taper changes dramatically at different angles, and maybe the crease changed between being photographed and being rained on. I'm not trying to freak out just yet.

after a hat is creased and worn there will always be at least a minor ghost of the crease until the hat is put properly back on a block

....also the slightest change in a crease can dramatically change a hats appearance

I would bet that if you slightly dipped your fingers into each peak of the center crease you will find that the look you once saw will return

Mark53

New in Town
Received in mail a few minutes ago. High crown looks great with a diamond crease. I have never tried one before but with this felt it was easy. Not having any luck with pictures so, I'm sorry Red, I guess it didn't happen. I am trying to get the picture thing going. When I do will post entire collection, such as it is (small).

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
so great how Michael keeps his queue moving along in such a reasonable manner ... his communication is also to be commended
he is great for the business and bespoke hat community

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good day folks. I hope your Gannons are hats for going places.

Thread announcement: A new Gannon Hat Co. hat day is on the horizon for me. My expectations are high!

Soon traveling to my hat rack will be a Gannon Wanderer inspired lid. With warmer weather at Minnesota's doorstep at this time of the year I had asked for a warmer weather hat. Thin felt that appropriate for the warmer weather.

I was inspired by the bone felted hats that other folks have showcased on this thread. Thanks for the push into the bone world folks! I walked around with a felt sample I have of the bone seeing if it might work for the attire I would pair it with. Bingo it appeared to be an excellent fit with warm weather stuff. Bone beaver felt!

Now it was time to work out the hat details. I prefer the mid-ribbon size. I have spoken to my preferences before and in summary the ribbon size is an excellent compromise between city/country hat looks. Being of small stature I like the look of the mid ribbon when I catch glimpses of the hat in the mirror. Michael had suggested I take a look at the silver belly ribbon and binding combo. The one look convinced me. Binding edge ribbon size - check out the pic below. I asked Michael to choose as his hand and eye would be in a much better place to choose. Proportion is everything in these details. I love the result shown in the accompanying pics. Well done Mr.Gannon!

i-DqVP6f8-M.jpg

Windcord - yes. I do use them and they are practical. A couple of occasions folks have commented on the "string," but I do not worry as I have not surrendered my gorgeous hats to the wind. I am thankful that I am able to have them on my Gannons.

Added spice - check out the sage ribbon accent in the pic. Excellent eye appeal. While I believe I will really enjoy the bone, I also wanted to spice up the big bone on top of my bald pate. That is a lot of bone on top of my shoulders! An accent would do the trick. It does!

i-MDW8L2M-M.jpg

The accent is the delicious real butter cream dark chocolate frosting, not just the spreadable frosting from the refrigerator. Special!

The interior is the hat owners providence. I do like the look of the brown sweat and the white satin interior. Clean, neat and classy.

i-ZjhxsVv-M.jpg

Not easily seen in the accompanying pics is the extra effort that Michael put into the brim flange. I had asked for a bit more snap to the brim. This bone hat I wanted to have as a bit more "downtown." More swoop would give it that aura. Michael had to go to work modifying the brim flange - WOW! That extra effort is grand customer service. I publicly thank Mr.Gannon for this effort on my behalf. Thanks! I can not wait to open the box, remove the crown protector, put the hat on, adjust the tilt of the hat and snap the brim. Can not wait.

All in all, my expectations are high! Lovely hat in the pics.

Best in your daily adventures folks, Eric -

KarlCrow

One Too Many

Thread announcement: A new Gannon Hat Co. hat day is on the horizon for me. My expectations are high!

Soon traveling to my hat rack will be a Gannon Wanderer inspired lid. With warmer weather at Minnesota's doorstep at this time of the year I had asked for a warmer weather hat. Thin felt that appropriate for the warmer weather.

I was inspired by the bone felted hats that other folks have showcased on this thread. Thanks for the push into the bone world folks! I walked around with a felt sample I have of the bone seeing if it might work for the attire I would pair it with. Bingo it appeared to be an excellent fit with warm weather stuff. Bone beaver felt!

Now it was time to work out the hat details. I prefer the mid-ribbon size. I have spoken to my preferences before and in summary the ribbon size is an excellent compromise between city/country hat looks. Being of small stature I like the look of the mid ribbon when I catch glimpses of the hat in the mirror. Michael had suggested I take a look at the silver belly ribbon and binding combo. The one look convinced me. Binding edge ribbon size - check out the pic below. I asked Michael to choose as his hand and eye would be in a much better place to choose. Proportion is everything in these details. I love the result shown in the accompanying pics. Well done Mr.Gannon!

i-DqVP6f8-M.jpg

Windcord - yes. I do use them and they are practical. A couple of occasions folks have commented on the "string," but I do not worry as I have not surrendered my gorgeous hats to the wind. I am thankful that I am able to have them on my Gannons.

Added spice - check out the sage ribbon accent in the pic. Excellent eye appeal. While I believe I will really enjoy the bone, I also wanted to spice up the big bone on top of my bald pate. That is a lot of bone on top of my shoulders! An accent would do the trick. It does!

i-MDW8L2M-M.jpg

The accent is the delicious real butter cream dark chocolate frosting, not just the spreadable frosting from the refrigerator. Special!

The interior is the hat owners providence. I do like the look of the brown sweat and the white satin interior. Clean, neat and classy.

i-ZjhxsVv-M.jpg

Not easily seen in the accompanying pics is the extra effort that Michael put into the brim flange. I had asked for a bit more snap to the brim. This bone hat I wanted to have as a bit more "downtown." More swoop would give it that aura. Michael had to go to work modifying the brim flange - WOW! That extra effort is grand customer service. I publicly thank Mr.Gannon for this effort on my behalf. Thanks! I can not wait to open the box, remove the crown protector, put the hat on, adjust the tilt of the hat and snap the brim. Can not wait.

spectacular, jaw, floor, drop.

RJR

i-DqVP6f8-M.jpg

i-MDW8L2M-M.jpg

i-ZjhxsVv-M.jpg

Very anxious to see it!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

i-DqVP6f8-M.jpg

i-MDW8L2M-M.jpg

i-ZjhxsVv-M.jpg

Buttercreme frosting from scratch I hope. I certainly see more cup and depth in the brim. Lovely hat. Was a lighter weight felt used or was it pounced more aggressively?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
spectacular, jaw, floor, drop.

Thanks sir.

Very anxious to see it!

Thanks. Just in time for summer wear.

Buttercreme frosting from scratch I hope. I certainly see more cup and depth in the brim. Lovely hat. Was a lighter weight felt used or was it pounced more aggressively?

Thanks. The felt was pounced thin. Silver mist and bone do feel thinner to the touch. We have conjectured in the past it may be what is done to get the color. Michael's efforts went well not making it thin. Other hats on the thread have been made thin with rave reviews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21