Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Fed; That is a dapper lid sir! Love the ribbon color and seeing it used in the fray ribbon is GRAND! Congrats sir - wear the hat with pride.

That’s breathtaking. I’ve been thinking about a natural. You just pushed me over the hump. Gannon it is.

Excellent choice in the color hue. I have found it working for black, navy winter jackets as well as the more easily paired earth tones. Love the hue.

The natural I recently received from Mr. Gannon is also one of the softest, easily shaped hats, I've gotten from him. They've all been great, but there is something about the natural that stands out. Whether it be the felt or Mr. Gannon's increasingly improving skills, I don't know. Just compare the creases on the two hats posted in the comparison thread. The Gannon almost looks better than the 50s Stetson.

i-NHsdqhC-XL.jpg

Not all felts are created equal! Long ago a discussion went forth on the VS thread about the felts. I took away that the process creating the hood and the removing color/imperfections and the various color die gave the felts many characteristics. I read that Winchester can vary the felt characteristics for folks ordering a larger amount. Examples: the amount of "stiffener," or the felt thickness (ala Art light weight felts),even small changes to the die (black cherry). Each of the beaver felts I have aquired have been slightly different. I have several moss green (even from 2 custom hatters) and the felt is very similar. Darn near similar to each other. I do not have a light weight green oss to compare to, but I imagine that Dave's lightweight VS hat felt is very similar. I see, by my experience that the hued felt has more differences than different hoods.

When the hats are pounced thinner, the characteristics of "felt" start to show. The raw materials are made into a hood. They are processed so that the hairs "felt together." If you feel the thin edge of a hat you might be able to feel a denisty change. This is an example of a modern felt that does not have perfect uniformity. The uniformity in a vintage hat is much the quality of the original hood and that over time the felted hairs have come closer - making a uniform density. The above said, I do enjoy feeling the thinner edge of the modern beaver winchester felts of my hats. The felt imperfections remind me of the handmade qualities and that the hat is going to get better with age. As an aging human, I do find some mental satisfation with that.

It has been said that Michael's abilities with pouncing are improving. In many ways that is an understatement. Working the felt is not a numbers game, rather a feel and experience game. As he has produced more hats, his experience has greatly changed and the hats I have recieved have benefited. The crown/brim transitions, brim to edge consistency, the crown density and lots more have been obvious changes to me.

Love the natural felt!

you guys are killing me

I may have to get back in line for that Santa Rosa that I had canceled ...

those new sweats alone make me want to just throw my credit card in the air like a clay bird

Anthony; The sweats! We have to work on Michael to aquire a stock of the dove, bluemist or some of the lighter weight felts. Options! Ahhh, hats. On the dreaming....how about a vent punch he could use with the lighter weight felts? Amazing. I am spending others money so I better go back to my corner.

i-rbGg4vx-M.jpg

Enabling this morning. Best, Eric -

Last edited:
Fed; That is a dapper lid sir! Love the ribbon color and seeing it used in the fray ribbon is GRAND! Congrats sir - wear the hat with pride.

Excellent choice in the color hue. I have found it working for black, navy winter jackets as well as the more easily paired earth tones. Love the hue.

Not all felts are created equal! Long ago a discussion went forth on the VS thread about the felts. I took away that the process creating the hood and the removing color/imperfections and the various color die gave the felts many characteristics. I read that Winchester can vary the felt characteristics for folks ordering a larger amount. Examples: the amount of "stiffener," or the felt thickness (ala Art light weight felts),even small changes to the die (black cherry). Each of the beaver felts I have aquired have been slightly different. I have several moss green (even from 2 custom hatters) and the felt is very similar. Darn near similar to each other. I do not have a light weight green oss to compare to, but I imagine that Dave's lightweight VS hat felt is very similar. I see, by my experience that the hued felt has more differences than different hoods.

When the hats are pounced thinner, the characteristics of "felt" start to show. The raw materials are made into a hood. They are processed so that the hairs "felt together." If you feel the thin edge of a hat you might be able to feel a denisty change. This is an example of a modern felt that does not have perfect uniformity. The uniformity in a vintage hat is much the quality of the original hood and that over time the felted hairs have come closer - making a uniform density. The above said, I do enjoy feeling the thinner edge of the modern beaver winchester felts of my hats. The felt imperfections remind me of the handmade qualities and that the hat is going to get better with age. As an aging human, I do find some mental satisfation with that.

It has been said that Michael's abilities with pouncing are improving. In many ways that is an understatement. Working the felt is not a numbers game, rather a feel and experience game. As he has produced more hats, his experience has greatly changed and the hats I have recieved have benefited. The crown/brim transitions, brim to edge consistency, the crown density and lots more have been obvious changes to me.

Love the natural felt!

Anthony; The sweats! We have to work on Michael to aquire a stock of the dove, bluemist or some of the lighter weight felts. Options! Ahhh, hats. On the dreaming....how about a vent punch he could use with the lighter weight felts? Amazing. I am spending others money so I better go back to my corner.

i-rbGg4vx-M.jpg

Well put, Eric, as usual.

RJR

Love the natural felt!

i-rbGg4vx-M.jpg

:cool:

Love the natural felt!

i-rbGg4vx-M.jpg

Very interesting treatise on our beloved felt. I agree that Gannon pouncing is on the upswing, just based on images here on the lounge. And yes, you are an enabler.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Love the natural felt!

i-rbGg4vx-M.jpg

Well said.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I see I've missed too many posts between being sick and starting a new job.

While I love my black cherry "Rodolfo" from Michael, this new natural/slate hat is indeed "the berries." I'm headed out in a bit to do some shopping and it's the perfect excuse to grab the new natural Gannon for the trip.

The felt and the pouncing are different, clearly. Michael asked me if I wanted my hat pounced a little thinner, like he did for Eric, aka @Short Balding Guy. I immediately said, "yes!" and wondered what I was going to get. I believe this has added to the ease of bashing the new hat. It will take anything, and I wore it with a center dent for a day, but I like the diamond crease best... and all of this with no steam.

Some might think the colors would be hard to match well with clothing, but it really is quite versatile. The natural felt is taupe in appearance and the ribbons just add to overall appeal. Others, especially browns, - IMO - made it look too neutral/drab for my personal taste. That was why I shied away from a brim binding that closely matches the felt.

I can't say enough about the quality of the hat, guys. The new sweat is uber comfortable and while sweating may not affect the soft leather, it did stain a touch strictly from the body oil on my forehead, but just a little and does not make me regret my decision to go with the new style.

The dark colored liner is really classy as well and just adds to the overall package.

If anyone is on the fence about ordering a hat from Michael, rest assured he will take care of you in fine style with professionalism and expertise. My email thread has nearly 50 emails between us regarding this hat and Michael was always open to discussing ideas and options and mailing me swatches of felt and ribbon samples to view in-hand.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

While I love my black cherry "Rodolfo" from Michael, this new natural/slate hat is indeed "the berries." I'm headed out in a bit to do some shopping and it's the perfect excuse to grab the new natural Gannon for the trip.

The felt and the pouncing are different, clearly. Michael asked me if I wanted my hat pounced a little thinner, like he did for Eric, aka @Short Balding Guy. I immediately said, "yes!" and wondered what I was going to get. I believe this has added to the ease of bashing the new hat. It will take anything, and I wore it with a center dent for a day, but I like the diamond crease best... and all of this with no steam.

Some might think the colors would be hard to match well with clothing, but it really is quite versatile. The natural felt is taupe in appearance and the ribbons just add to overall appeal. Others, especially browns, - IMO - made it look too neutral/drab for my personal taste. That was why I shied away from a brim binding that closely matches the felt.

I can't say enough about the quality of the hat, guys. The new sweat is uber comfortable and while sweating may not affect the soft leather, it did stain a touch strictly from the body oil on my forehead, but just a little and does not make me regret my decision to go with the new style.

The dark colored liner is really classy as well and just adds to the overall package.

If anyone is on the fence about ordering a hat from Michael, rest assured he will take care of you in fine style with professionalism and expertise. My email thread has nearly 50 emails between us regarding this hat and Michael was always open to discussing ideas and options and mailing me swatches of felt and ribbon samples to view in-hand.

Thanks for the follow-up. Wear the hat with pride. Eric -

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Eric.

One additional note is that Michael now has Long Oval blocks. My first Gannon was made as a size 60 for me, which was just a touch on the large size for my noggin. I asked Michael to make this one 59.5 cm LO and it fits like a dream.

Last edited:

That's a super hat, Doug. Yes, Mr. Gannon has done it again.

My last hat, I was also asked about whether I wanted it thinner, too. To my knowledge, all four of mine are "thinner." Tough to tell due to differences in the felt, for me. I wonder what the heavier weight thickness is like.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Pics are here but really, they just don't capture the colors well. I'm sick so I'll post these and try to get some sleep as I've been up since midnight.

Dry crease and the diamond just appears now after playing with the felt a little. Pics show more grey than reality, which is more red/pinks coming through. I am loving this hat as much as I can in my current state. It's a spectacular hat by Michael Gannon.

i-qMd9nRz-X2.jpg

i-2XkbsJj-X2.jpg

i-NCnjFNS-X2.jpg

i-CbvdHtx-X2.jpg

i-pJ4TknP-X2.jpg

i-PM9Qz4p-X2.jpg

i-fGQG9LX-X2.jpg

i-2HXBfMP-X2.jpg

Wowowowow......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics are here but really, they just don't capture the colors well. I'm sick so I'll post these and try to get some sleep as I've been up since midnight.

Dry crease and the diamond just appears now after playing with the felt a little. Pics show more grey than reality, which is more red/pinks coming through. I am loving this hat as much as I can in my current state. It's a spectacular hat by Michael Gannon.

i-qMd9nRz-X2.jpg

i-2XkbsJj-X2.jpg

i-NCnjFNS-X2.jpg

i-CbvdHtx-X2.jpg

i-pJ4TknP-X2.jpg

i-PM9Qz4p-X2.jpg

i-fGQG9LX-X2.jpg

i-2HXBfMP-X2.jpg

Day-um Doug! Love the ribbon/frayed bow. This new sweat Mike has is really supple and nicely textured looking. Pushing me to get off my duff and order the Charcoal I've been wanting. Lounge Enabler Society in full force.

I'm in the queue & my order should have been about ready to go on the block. I just received an email from Michael & he has had an unfortunate accident while hiking on Saturday. He fell & broke his leg, & is currently still in the hospital. He is unsure of when he will go home or what his recovery time might be. No other details are known.

Here's to hoping Michael has a pain free & successful recovery. That's the most important now!

I'm in the queue & my order should have been about ready to go on the block. I just received an email from Michael & he has had an unfortunate accident while hiking on Saturday. He fell & broke his leg, & is currently still in the hospital. He is unsure of when he will go home or what his recovery time might be. No other details are known.

Here's to hoping Michael has a pain free & successful recovery. That's the most important now!

Oh, no! I hope the break isn't too serious and will heal quickly. Thanks for the update.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I'm in the queue & my order should have been about ready to go on the block. I just received an email from Michael & he has had an unfortunate accident while hiking on Saturday. He fell & broke his leg, & is currently still in the hospital. He is unsure of when he will go home or what his recovery time might be. No other details are known.Here's to hoping Michael has a pain free & successful recovery. That's the most important now!

Thanks for the news Jack. +1 to the pain free and successful recovery. Get well Micahel. I tip my brim in your direction this morning. Eric-

:( We need to send positive Lounge energy his way. Sorry to hear this. It has been kind of rainy around here, makes trails slippery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk