Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yes spot on. My undergrad degree in Engineering produced habits of detail that are life long lasting. I keep a caliper in my desk. Using the caliper when I received my last hat found it measured darn near spot on (only millimeters different). Not significant, IMO. I have been finding that the leather sweat shrinks a tad bit. Not shrink like my experience with an Akubra CD, but a little bit. I wear my hats "tighter" than most, as I feel the strong wind blowing across the lake most days. I snug my fedoras down on my head. On rare occasions do I use a wind cord.

I will document more details as the week developed. Wait tip you see the upgraded sweat, liner and even box that Michael is using. It is well done. Hopefully I will make some time the next couple of days.

Best, Eric -

ingineer

One Too Many
Harv; have no fear. i pestered Michael for my in-between size and it came out just right.
he was using a chrome tanned sweat that does not shrink like the veggy tanned sweat in the Akubras.
Eric's notes are spot on, Micheal is continuously upgrading
talk to him, nice chap

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good morning folks. This morning brought new snow. I have been out doing chores in the moss green Gannon Wanderer. I am very pleased with the hat. In fact, very pleased with both of the Gannon Wanderers.

i-Z7F8dNT-M.jpg

My newest, the moss green beaver felt sports Michael's brown leather sweat. I had the opportunity to work in the hat, shoveling snow, and find the sweat even more comfortable than the previous version. The brown sweat has a look that I prefer. Oh, yes how about the liner? Excellent! A terrific improvement. In a kind gesture, I recieved a replacement liner for my charcoal felted fedora.

i-Dv2zrk4-M.jpg

I applaude Michael's patience and efforts at securing green ribbon material that fits my request of more matching with the moss green felt. The ribbon color, IMO, gives the fedora a sharp, clean look.

i-VZ4hGLP-M.jpg

i-n69mdCC-M.jpg

I have been using an Akubra CD (bluegrass) as a go to hat prior to getting the Wanderer inspired Gannon fedoras. A go to hat for me is the hat(s) that can handle chores, weather, offer protection, but offer fedora styl'n.

Recently, I have found myself reaching for my charcoal Gannon hat instead of the Akubra. The felt has suffered rain, snow, sleet and even a soda pop spill. The felt has recovered without a mark. The ribbon on my charcoal has proven to be like-minded durable. The brims of the dress felted hats are more like the Akubra CD in "stiffness." The differ in that the Gannon beaver can be "molded easily." All you do is take the felt between your fingers, and mold away. This dress weight brim was expected and what I wished for. The brims, I asked for, are be a bit more flatter flanged to give the hat a City/Country look. The crown on the beaver felts are much easier to mold than the Akubra CD. The eye and hand appeal is WAY above the rabbit felted CD. The beaver felt, in person, is alluring in richness to my eye.

The taller crown, desired and delivered, gives the fedora dimension and eye appeal.

I am very fortunate to be able to choose between the charcoal and moss green Gannon Wanderer inspired fedoras that are in my wardrobe. Here again are my current go to hats. Hats to wear and work in with pride.

i-LJGNH5Q-M.jpg

Best to all, Eric -

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
that hat is so impressive Eric !!!

Michael is out doing himself ... your pics inspired me so much that I just now emailed Michael to put an order in for my second Gannon

this time I am leaving everything but the block size and brim size up to the artist.

I cannot express how fantastic your new Gannon is ... I knew we were on to something

Michael is the real deal and will only continue to get even better

I love the new liner and sweat ... can't wait to have one of his pieces with these ... I also love that we got some originals from before he had the name on the liner :)

thanks for the great pics

RJR

Good morning folks. This morning brought new snow. I have been out doing chores in the moss green Gannon Wanderer. I am very pleased with the hat. In fact, very pleased with both of the Gannon Wanderers.

i-Z7F8dNT-M.jpg

My newest, the moss green beaver felt sports Michael's brown leather sweat. I had the opportunity to work in the hat, shoveling snow, and find the sweat even more comfortable than the previous version. The brown sweat has a look that I prefer. Oh, yes how about the liner? Excellent! A terrific improvement. In a kind gesture, I recieved a replacement liner for my charcoal felted fedora.

i-Dv2zrk4-M.jpg

I applaude Michael's patience and efforts at securing green ribbon material that fits my request of more matching with the moss green felt. The ribbon color, IMO, gives the fedora a sharp, clean look.

i-VZ4hGLP-M.jpg

i-n69mdCC-M.jpg

I have been using an Akubra CD (bluegrass) as a go to hat prior to getting the Wanderer inspired Gannon fedoras. A go to hat for me is the hat(s) that can handle chores, weather, offer protection, but offer fedora styl'n.

Recently, I have found myself reaching for my charcoal Gannon hat instead of the Akubra. The felt has suffered rain, snow, sleet and even a soda pop spill. The felt has recovered without a mark. The ribbon on my charcoal has proven to be like-minded durable. The brims of the dress felted hats are more like the Akubra CD in "stiffness." The differ in that the Gannon beaver can be "molded easily." All you do is take the felt between your fingers, and mold away. This dress weight brim was expected and what I wished for. The brims, I asked for, are be a bit more flatter flanged to give the hat a City/Country look. The crown on the beaver felts are much easier to mold than the Akubra CD. The eye and hand appeal is WAY above the rabbit felted CD. The beaver felt, in person, is alluring in richness to my eye.

The taller crown, desired and delivered, gives the fedora dimension and eye appeal.

I am very fortunate to be able to choose between the charcoal and moss green Gannon Wanderer inspired fedoras that are in my wardrobe. Here again are my current go to hats. Hats to wear and work in with pride.

i-LJGNH5Q-M.jpg

Best to all, Eric -
Very nice,Eric.The "Wanderer"style is nearly the perfect hat,imo.

ingineer

One Too Many
Eric; another Engineer. Bravo Zulu. we are rare birds
i was not copying you, don't know what a Wanderer was
preview picks of my second, just paid for
moss green, 2-3/4 brim 4-3/4 after the crease, requested diamond
i had asked for a Art F type ribbon, look carefully a little blue keyhole
this gets better and better

ingineer

One Too Many
Thanks guys;
Moon you are going to be delighted
such fast turn-around for a custom.
little upgrades: 2 inch sweat is larger, the bow is now there in the back; even the box improved with his logo
sweat seems a lot more comfortable

Bama; the boots were a cheap mistake. headed to the Daughters of Miriam thrift
will post the replacements soon
Michael, please more felt colours; cherry, blue?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Richard; Dynamite sir. Wear that hat with pride. The blue stripe is like a jewel in the ribbon. Very Art Fawcett-like in inspiration. I look forward to seeing pics of you wearing it in real life.

To details, you asked for a "flatter" vs "cupped" flange? In your pics it appears to be the case. I happened to ask for my mod felted hat to be flatter. I deliberately wanted to sit astride the country/city fence of appeal. Does the moss felt color meet your expectations?

Classy fedora sir. I tip the brim of my Gannon in your direction tonight, Eric-

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys;
Moon you are going to be delighted. such fast turn-around for a custom.little upgrades: 2 inch sweat is larger, the bow is now there in the back; even the box improved with his logo. sweat seems a lot more comfortable

Michael, please more felt colours; cherry, blue?

Blue smoke please. Any color in light weight!

The new sweat is dynamite. Surprising how the change of sweat really is noticeable. I was asked today by a youngish guy, in his 30's, to look at my hat. He felt the brim and turned it over to look into the inside and stared. He said the inside was stunning. I swear he said that. I had been wearing the lid pulled down tight to fit the high temps of -5'F and the leather showed some perspiration. The styl'n dude looked past my wear and loved the inside. Cool! I gee him the Gannon info and I hope he contacts the artisan. However, he like many, are always surprised when they hear about the price - in their eyes pricey - in our eyes worth the price paid.

Congrats Michael.

ingineer

One Too Many
Blue smoke!!! yes please, been considering Arts's just for the color, even bunny.
no request for flange given, just requested brim size
and to do a little keyhole in ribbon, no colour request.
some things better left to the artisan.
the moss green is rather like the bluegrass green Akubra, very subtle, yet different
i no longer need the forest green hat for fishing.trout, you are safe for the moment
yes! Bravo Micheal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk