Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Question folks: Those with very light felts - how do you get pronounced side dents to stay?

I have a Gannon with a silver mist felt. This afternoon before wearing it I steamed it like crazy. Worked the felt to open crown against a wooden block and then put in top creases. I used a wooden spoon to put in side dents. Went for a dog walk and they all but disappeared. Suggestions? Any experiences like this?

Hat pics:
i-sNfvP2R-M.jpg

i-5pbcWzC-M.jpg

i-WJBZNRQ-M.jpg

I have given the hat a modified teardrop to manage all of the tall crown. I wished to have the hat show a bold rake and a swoop in the brim. Change the crown to something else? Would this give me the desired effect.

I like this felt, but this hat puzzles me.

Steaming this afternoon, Eric -

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Ha! Will you handle the suit? Problem was solved when I thoroughly saturated the entire ribbon and I stains blended in but I ended up with a slightly darker ribbon.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I dunk my hats in the shower then shape them how I want. The debts stay quite happily after the felt dries.

Cheers!
David

I've had success with David's method but I just use a spray bottle of distilled water to soak the felt. Good luck Eric!

+1. Shower is probably ok but after trying both methods I prefer the spray bottle of distilled water. No risk of discoloration from mineral deposits from shower and less of a risk of shrinking the felt.

I've misted my crowns with distilled water and the lighter color ribbons picked up some water stains. What's that about?

Thanks guys. I will pick-up some more distilled water and try it this weekend. Sage advise!

Eric -

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. I will pick-up some more distilled water and try it this weekend. Sage advise!

Eric -
Mike at Northwest Hats said the same thing (water caused ribbon spotting) has happened to him. He believes it's a starch or some type of treatment used on ribbons that causes water spotting. His treatment of the problem is the same as mine.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
But you need silver belly advice.......
I think there may actually be something to that; the silverbelly felt, I mean. In my limited experience, I've had a harder time getting the light colored felts to take a crease than others. My black cherry Gannon, for example, took to the diamond and side dents very well after a moderate amount of steam. A very light tan 50's? Stetson took a lot more attempts to finally hold the crease I wanted. A silvermist seemed to fight anything more than a basic moulding as opposed to a defined crease...

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I think there may actually be something to that; the silverbelly felt, I mean. In my limited experience, I've had a harder time getting the light colored felts to take a crease than others. My black cherry Gannon, for example, took to the diamond and side dents very well after a moderate amount of steam. A very light tan 50's? Stetson took a lot more attempts to finally hold the crease I wanted. A silvermist seemed to fight anything more than a basic moulding as opposed to a defined crease...

+1. That is my experience to date. This weekend - distilled water spray.

philosophy101

A-List Customer
My second Gannon just arrived. Basically a Stratoliner clone, but I requested both ribbons to be 5/8" rather than the more authentic 3/8". Pecan beaver with dark brown ribbon. Brim measures about 2-3/4" in width. Beautiful, meticulous workmanship by Michael. I'm in love with this pecan color, which is represented pretty accurately, at least when viewed on my iPhone. A very versatile mid brown with a distinctly olive cast to it.
IMG_3357.JPG

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
+1. That is my experience to date. This weekend - distilled water spray.

Keep us posted, @Short Balding Guy. My silvermist from Gannon suffers from the same ailment.

I love the silvermist color, but not it's weight, and ended up placing a nearly identical order with Michael in Silverbelly to compensate. My silvermist only sees daylight in late spring / early fall months, and the silverbelly is at the top of my rotation the rest of the year.

Gannon_Silvermist_Silverbelly_01.jpg

First world problems for sure...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
My second Gannon just arrived. Basically a Stratoliner clone, but I requested both ribbons to be 5/8" rather than the more authentic 3/8". Pecan beaver with dark brown ribbon. Brim measures about 2-3/4" in width. Beautiful, meticulous workmanship by Michael. I'm in love with this pecan color, which is represented pretty accurately, at least when viewed on my iPhone. A very versatile mid brown with a distinctly olive cast to it. View attachment 68409
absolutely beautiful piece and impeccable crease ... congrats sir ... that is one dimepiece of a hat

I have a Gannon in pecan and it is a wonderfully complex color ... just fantastic

My second Gannon just arrived. Basically a Stratoliner clone, but I requested both ribbons to be 5/8" rather than the more authentic 3/8". Pecan beaver with dark brown ribbon. Brim measures about 2-3/4" in width. Beautiful, meticulous workmanship by Michael. I'm in love with this pecan color, which is represented pretty accurately, at least when viewed on my iPhone. A very versatile mid brown with a distinctly olive cast to it. View attachment 68409

MOAR PIX!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko