Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

kowalski

Practically Family
yes

it is a little different than the original details I mentioned above, oryginal alpha vs repro alpha

one more detail ; sizes
oryginal jacket made 60- 70 y e.g. size Large now it size M and old size M it now size Small .

I noticed a trend increasing the same size. < However, the size designation (S,M,L) remained the same

in other words ; e.g. now size S is greater from its predecessor S

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know if original military issue jackets had vertical stitching?

Actually, yes. And I just remembered this...Greenbrier had one MA-1 contract. They were better known for making early Nomex CWUs. This contract was for post-Vietnam, E-Series jackets in 1976. The Greenbrier had vertical windflap stitching and pocket flaps. I notice, though, the example illustrated below has a brass Serval zipper and McQueen's appears to have an aluminum zipper. But I'm not too concerned about this difference. Several contracts used more than one brand of zipper. For example, the '61 Skyline and the '65 Alpha used both C&C and Conmar main zippers. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the McQueen jacket is very likely a '76 Greenbrier.

greenbrier_zpsfbd2d364.jpg

greenbrier2_zps201d009f.jpg

AF

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Was considering going for a Blue 'Vintage Series' MA1 I've seen for sale. Contacted vendor regarding shoulder measurements because they can vary within the same size ( by 1 inch in the Blue version). Unfortunately it's another of the smaller shouldered Blues in XL 20" as opposed to 21" shoulder seam to shoulder seam :(

This issue came to light when I purchased an XL Vintage series in Blue & found it too snug on the shoulders as opposed to the 3 Sage versions I've owned. Compared a sage and the blue side by side to discover the difference. Had to sell it on.

I've never encountered this issue with jackets from the B-15 Vintage series sage or the blue.

IMG_0154.jpg

kowalski

Practically Family
Normally I wear a jacket in size L (sizes Europe) my jacket repro MA1 Alpha sage green made in USA has a size Small and lies on me very well !!!
Jacket contract MA1 made in 68 y has size L and there are slight differences between them in the size, I'm in shock. but the size of the jacket and its marking dependence of the market on what is meant US or Eu. Small in USA , in Europe it is analog as M\L .In USA people live bigger than in Eu.I think e these differences

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Was considering going for a Blue 'Vintage Series' MA1 I've seen for sale. Contacted vendor regarding shoulder measurements because they can vary within the same size ( by 1 inch in the Blue version). Unfortunately it's another of the smaller shouldered Blues in XL 20" as opposed to 21" shoulder seam to shoulder seam :(

This issue came to light when I purchased an XL Vintage series in Blue & found it too snug on the shoulders as opposed to the 3 Sage versions I've owned. Compared a sage and the blue side by side to discover the difference. Had to sell it on.

I've never encountered this issue with jackets from the B-15 Vintage series sage or the blue.

View attachment 7933

That's quite a big difference for a single model BN and that's a pain for getting the right fit.

I've found Alpha sizing also (unsurprisingly) tends to differ slightly from series to series and between models and I agree that getting actual measurements is the way to go with them. One thing I've seen that sometimes confuses the nylon uninitiated is that the shoulder and pit to pit measurements will be larger due to the insulated lining. I know a few people who have bought their first time nylon jackets sight-unseen thinking they're getting the correct size and ending up with the wrong fit because they aren't used to this and don't take it into account.

And BN, you're looking for a blue one? You've got a B-15C Mod as well haven't you?

Cheers,

Tim

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
Does anyone know if original military issue jackets had vertical stitching?
Actually, yes. And I just remembered this...Greenbrier had one MA-1 contract. They were better known for making early Nomex CWUs. This contract was for post-Vietnam, E-Series jackets in 1976. The Greenbrier had vertical windflap stitching and pocket flaps. I notice, though, the example illustrated below has a brass Serval zipper and McQueen's appears to have an aluminum zipper. But I'm not too concerned about this difference. Several contracts used more than one brand of zipper. For example, the '61 Skyline and the '65 Alpha used both C&C and Conmar main zippers. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the McQueen jacket is very likely a '76 Greenbrier.
Great info! and you're probably right they used one of those jackets. The movie dates from 1980, which means it would have been made over the previous year, so those jackets would probably still be around. I bet the costume department chose one with the vertical stitching because the flap stays rigid and doesn't fold over or wrinkle up like it does with the zig-zag stitching and would therefore look better on film (the difference is quite apparent in photos).

bn1966

Hi Tim,

Much as I love Alphas I have found huge size differences series to series model to model. The only decent MA1 fit I've found for me is the Vintage Series & one other Alpha I own 'series unknown' (blanket lined) see pic:

IMG_0369.jpg

I haven't found an Alpha MA1 (orange lined) that has fitted right yet. Too big XXL, snug on shoulders XL.

I do own a Blue Vintage Series B-15 XL that is a perfect fit (21" across shoulders), I would like a Vintage Series MA1 in the Blue too. My holy grail would be a Vintage Series L2B Sage or Blue in XL (have never seen one in that size for sale).

I did have a brief flirtation with L2Bs: One 1966 Alpha & a 90s Civilian version (see pic). Both far too small in all measurements apart from sleeves.

IMG_0067.jpg

Ended up with a modern (Chinese) Alpha L2B in XL which needs shortening in sleeves and length (local seamstress to do)

IMG_0212.jpg

Have moved into CWU jackets which have there own sizing issues between different contracts.

Currently considering a 'ground crew' MA1

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
I have a question, understand what I write just a little? I do not have good English:mad:

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi BN,

That blanket lined one is a cracker. That's the one we were all having trouble with trying to work out whether it was supposed to be a repro first generation MA-1 a month or so back right? I love it, the colour (from this end anyway) is great.

I find nylon flight jackets to be the most problematic size-wise from all the jackets I've bought. I'm tallish (6' 1'') and so often I have a problem with body length. That's why I only have 3 at the mo, I always have to go through about 3 jackets before I find the right fit. But it's fun getting there!

But boy I like that blanket lined one of yours, bloody nice looking jacket ;)

bn1966

Thanks Tim,

That blanket lined MA1 is my favourite, the blanket lining really shows the shape of the shell off & I love the pale sage colour.

One thing I've noticed about the current civilian Alphas is that they appear much longer in length and sleeve, hence the need to alter my L2B (XL is about 28" in length from base of collar to end of waistband). I like a more original fit at 5.10"

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
One thing I've noticed about the current civilian Alphas is that they appear much longer in length and sleeve, hence the need to alter my L2B (XL is about 28" in length from base of collar to end of waistband). I like a more original fit at 5.10"

Doesn't surprise me BN, most originals tend to be shortish in the body (as we know it's a flight jacket after all and meant to be worn whilst you're parked on your backside) and I reckon Alpha have changed the length for the "civilian" market where people want a jacket that tends to be longer.

Although my Vintage Series seems to be pretty close to a standard military fit.

Blackadder

Doesn't surprise me BN, most originals tend to be shortish in the body (as we know it's a flight jacket after all and meant to be worn whilst you're parked on your backside) and I reckon Alpha have changed the length for the "civilian" market where people want a jacket that tends to be longer.

Although my Vintage Series seems to be pretty close to a standard military fit.
The Alpha new slim long MA-1 is called Re-issue as opposed to the normal MA-1 they still carry. Same goes for the "long, slender" version of the Buzz Rickson William Gibson collection.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/earthmarket/item/br12667/

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The Alpha new slim long MA-1 is called Re-issue as opposed to the normal MA-1 they still carry. Same goes for the "long, slender" version of the Buzz Rickson William Gibson collection.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/earthmarket/item/br12667/

Thanks Blackadder, didn't know that the slim long is called a re-issue.

I've got 3 Alphas and they are all slightly different sizing . As BN said above measurements really are the way to go if you're looking for the right fit rather than picking your "normal" size.

Edward

Bartender
I'm always saying it's a crying shame Alpha don't do a bang-on redux of their Replica Series from the early 90s, but I suppose the market for these just isn't big enough for their interests. Shame.... I'm hoping one day to hage a reasonable repro of each of the B15s and the first issue, green-lined Ma1. L2/L2A/early L2B ideally also. I'll never be able to afford / justify that at Buzz money, though.

bn1966

I totally agree Edward, I'd love to see Alpha reviving the 90s Replica series :)

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I got a recent Alpha in large long, it fits but is still a little short. But it's so puffy and wide shouldered and I'm 6 feet 2 and wide shouldered that I look like a security guard. I don't care for the look. I reckon a slim Buzz Rickson would be better but I won't pay that $ for nylon.

devilish

A-List Customer
Seb, believe me, the difference in quality between even the best Alpha has ever made and Buzz Rickson is so great that the price of the Buzz is pretty close to what it should be. The outer cloth is of a completely different nature altogether and all the other materials and workmanship are leagues above Alpha. Easily on par with any leather jacket manufacturer.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure that Rickson makes the best quality nylon repros on the market. I've heard nothing but good things about them. My problem with Rickson is two-fold. First, they are way undersized and seem not to make a true size XL jacket. Second, their prices are typically higher than originals.

Quality original nylon is still available, though nowadays you do have to beat the bushes to find it. It’s not like the '90s when A, B and C series MA-1s were frequently on eBay in even size XL. But it is still out there and at prices well below what is charged by the premium repro makers.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points