Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I ought to clarify, my BR jacket is the green nylon type, not that god awful Gibson eyesore (wrong color, wrong pattern, not even an MA-1 really, is it).

If Gibson wanted to wear a military jacket, he needn't have dodged the draft ;)

Thanks! This Avirex one that I got is nearly two inches above my belt. Granted, none of the trousers that I got are particularly high waisted but this really looks stupid on me... I think it's even less that 21" because it immediately rises up. Would look good on a flight suit or something I suppose... And it's a really nice jacket!

devilish

A-List Customer
Monitor, I find it helps to make them look better if you wear a hoodie that is the same colour as the knits (or close) but is just a couple inches longer. Although I really don’t mind the length. It makes them look more accurate than the cheap fashion knock-offs.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Turned off of the Buzz Gibson because of length (I don't like my MA-1 / L-2B half way down my ass..). Could have coped with the black color (my job doesn't allow me to wear Military colors to the office..E.G: sage / olive).

Recently purchased a couple of older used Schott MA-1's..appalling quality!!! Thin outer shell, paper lining, baggy sleeves & failing zippers..avoid IMHO!!!!!

No MA-1's here currently (aside from the Schott's I need to move on..don't wear them).
Alpha 'Vintage' B-15 came out this evening..well cut & good for the money (cheap). Soon be time to break out the N-2B's & my 50's N-2A

IMG_0941 (1).JPG

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Monitor, I understand your pain about the jacket 'riding up' your back.
I wear my MA-1 with 501's and a white t-shirt, it's a really warm jacket! The reason for this is the thick wool batting lining. It's heavy! And this means that the jacket has a structure and drape that cheaper jackets with poly linings just don't have. It makes all the difference.
I agree that Japanese nylon flight jackets are expensive, but they do look so much better.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I was always made to feel uncomfortable about my size as a kid, and as an adult that made me paranoid that my clothes don't fit properly, that they are too small. And then there were all those fashion trends for baggy clothes when I was a younger man. End result- it takes conscious effort to wear a jacket that fits properly. My 'instinct' is like a devil on my shoulder whispering 'it's too small!', but I have to take a look at myself in the mirror and realize that the fit is the way it's supposed to be, I've just been made paranoid about it.

Edward

Bartender
Still looking for a decent repro MA-1..may have to think about the Cockpit USA version when funds allow :)

The Cockpit looks to be about the best one out there at the minute in terms of being reasonably close (if not as 101% accurate as the Japanese made stuff), but without costing the earth. I have my eye on one of those as I'd like an MA1 (it being the last of the flight jackets that interest me, historically speaking), but I'm not prepared to pay crazy money for it. I'd spring for the right second hand bargain on a Buzz with the green liner, though. I wish - based on my experience of owning an Alpha B15-C from the Replica Series of the 90s - that they'd bring those back. This Winter, I might well buy myself one of the Alpha N2Bs in the current range - though in Replica blue, so effectively an N2A. Really have come to like those in recent years.

Never handled one of the black Gibson ones, though I know they changed the length of some of the jackets in that series (I think they made some changes to the fit as well; making them neater would exaggerate any change in the length, imo). There was at one time a black Buzz MA1 that was *not* the Gibson one. I think it was, from memory, a Buzz 10th Anniversary jacket. Exactly the same as the regular Buzz MA1 but black. Narrowly missed one on eBay a few years ago. I do have a Buzz B15-C MOD, though I need to find somewhere to have the knits replaced as carpet beetles got to it....

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up

My graduation from Aircraft Electrician School Chanute AFB January 29, 1969
I am the Airman kneeling on the right. In front of a TF-102

January 28th, 2009 will mark the 40th anniversary of my graduation from United States Air Force Aircraft Electrician Technical School at the great old Air Force Base at Chanute, Rantoul, Illinois.
On this day all 9 Airmen in the photo graduated from the course. We got to choose our favorite instructors to pose with us on the left is T/Sgt English and the right S/Sgt Addis. We now were full fledged 3 level Aircraft electricians. To graduate we had to take a practical test in troubleshooting on an actual aircraft. That aircraft was an old B-66 in one of the hangars. To this day I remember my test.. The work order stated that the “Nose Gear Taxi light was inop” So armed with my tech Order Wiring Diagram for the B-66 I began my troubleshooting, completely beside myself and worrying the whole time I would be the only airman to flunk the test. But fortune smiled upon me that day and I found after many minutes of reading and tracing the wiring diagrams, taking voltage readings, going from cockpit to nose gear a few items, I finally found the problem… A POPPED CIRCUIT BREAKER BEARING THE NOMENCLATURE… TAXI LIGHT. I was so proud of myself! I now was a full fledged Aircraft Electrician.. Well not really.. A few months of training on the C-124 and a test for the Journeyman 5 level then I was an Aircraft Electrician, a job I truly liked.I remember shortly after this picture was taken we went back to the barracks and found our assignments on our bunks, almost everybody that graduated with me got the base they requested but I didn’t! I had put in for McGuire AFB, N.J. or Dover , AFB Del. Close to home bases but I got sent to my first base at Kelly AFB, Texas and began my career working on C-124’s. It was a great assignment. From there it was, McGuire, Finally, Then Vietnam at Bien Hoa, Cam Ranh Bay and Can Tho,. After serving in Vietnam they usually said you got your choice of bases, I put in for all the Air Force bases in Florida I could find. And got assigned to Loring AFB in Northern Maine. Oh well it was fun anyway. Working on F-106 fighters in the 83rd FIS. A little strange at first because all I ever worked on was recip aircraft.. C-124, C-118’s at Kelly, C-7a’s in Vietnam, C-131, T-29’s at McGuire along with the C-141A’s my first jet. And then the F-106. The six was a big change. Anyway I really enjoyed my time working in the USAF.

source: http://propspistonsandoldairliners.blogspot.ca/2009/01/graduation-from-usaf-aircraft.html

kowalski

Practically Family
Hi All
i have question , jacket not have label :( it is MA1 or L2B ?
best regards , jacket not have windflap and pocket in lining

Attachments

• IMAG0186_preview.jpeg
    IMAG0186_preview.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMAG0184_preview.jpeg
    IMAG0184_preview.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMAG0182_preview.jpeg
    IMAG0182_preview.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,843
  • IMAG0178_preview.jpeg
    IMAG0178_preview.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,850
  • IMAG0177_preview.jpeg
    IMAG0177_preview.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,908
  • IMAG0174_preview.jpeg
    IMAG0174_preview.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,995
  • IMAG0169_preview.jpeg
    IMAG0169_preview.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 1,850
  • IMAG0167_preview.jpeg
    IMAG0167_preview.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,944

bn1966

Looks like an L-2B to me, no label in the pocket?

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
unfortunately, no label in pocket, only just empty space and sewing in pocket after label
pocket sleve have zip Gripper, front zip it Scovil

Attachments

• IMAG0167_preview (1).jpeg
    IMAG0167_preview (1).jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,926
Last edited:

bn1966

Alpha L-2B in my opinion :) 1970's at a guess :) Looks like my 70's version.

kowalski

Practically Family
Super
. ps
jacket have only thin orange cotton /wool (?) lining ( not as thick as in MA1)
I paid for it 70 $ , excelent condition lining , no holes in lining and in nylon , no stains . :cool:

bn1966, Atticus Finch thanks for information
best regards

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ