Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mackintosh, rain officers

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Does anyone know where I might be able to acquire an old rubberised mackintosh at a reasonable price? Nightandthecity posted some photos of his one here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=139703&highlight=mackintosh#post139703
There is one listed on UK ebay at the moment, but it would be a bit big on me.

I have a rather nice burberry trenchcoat which needs to go off for repair, and this has prompted me to look for something which is well-styled and really waterproof to wear in the meantime and in torrential downpours.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
If you don't want the exact military version (or a replica thereof) I would recommend looking in charity shops. I recently picked up a 1950s (I think) Macintosh fabric coat (SB, with rear cape, belted with throat latch) for less that 5 GBP as it was missing several buttons. Big deal!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
If you can sprint to one, Cordings have some of the nicest-looking macs around, they're unfussy and beautifully made.

They have them in light tan and a sort of light pea green (like a very light version of olive drab, short of pastel).

At £400 plus, perhaps these are more for US loungers at the moment.

robojam

New in Town
Cordings

Prof Branestawm said:
Those are rather nice. As they indeed should be, given the price.

They Cording coats are nice but not as good as they used to be. I have two of their older riding mackintoshes. One in off white and one in what they call a putty colour.
Both are in the heavyweight material that they no longer stock. They only sell a lighter weight version that is not as good in my opinion. You can still get similar coats from www.Rainmac.com a bit cheaper.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Given the phenomenal price of these macs, the charities shops would appear to be the only sane source.
What size do you need ? A friend of mine has a light khaki one that he might be prepared to sell (he got it from an Oxfam shop).

robojam

New in Town
Creeping Past said:
Well, a bit: £300 is better than £400+ They look nice. But way over my limit.

The Rainmac offering is still expensive I agree but cheaper than Cordings for a coat that I think is as good but in a heavier cloth.
I notice they do a riding mackintosh style coat in a material they call SBR. It looks as if it has the waterproofing on the outside surface.
Does anyone have any experience of this material?
It certainly looks like I simply have to have one!

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Old Fogey UK said:
Given the phenomenal price of these macs, the charities shops would appear to be the only sane source.
What size do you need ? A friend of mine has a light khaki one that he might be prepared to sell (he got it from an Oxfam shop).

I take a 40L chest in jackets.

The difficulty with charity shops is the amount of rubbish one has to climb through to find something worth having - unless it's a charity shop somewhere like Kensington, where bespoke suits are generally hanging next to the front door.

robojam

New in Town
Cordings

Nice looking mackintosh from Cordings but still £180 more than the equivalent from Rainmac and I suspect it comes out of the same factory.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Ex-Danish Army 'Don-R' (or whatever they call them in Denmark) coats are common and cheap at the moment. Expect to pay around 35 GBP. Try Soldier of Fortune.

But, I respectfully point out, it's not a 'riding Mac'...

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Thanks to Hal, who pointed one out on ebay, I am now the proud owner of one of these coats.

A couple of problems, though - does anyone know a way to get rust spots out of the fabric, or to re-glue the peeling edges of one pocket?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks to Hal, who pointed one out on ebay, I am now the proud owner of one of these coats.

A couple of problems, though - does anyone know a way to get rust spots out of the fabric, or to re-glue the peeling edges of one pocket?
If I recall correctly, lemon juice can remove rust stains.

As for the glueing, I have had luck with this stuff.

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
If 'Macintosh' macs are pricey try going to Aquascutum or Burberry. You're looking at well over 1000 squids. There's prestige and exclusive, and then there's the point of no return. Crazy. Then again The Macintosh look really good, but for 400+ there has to be some more detailing... a button down on the slant pocket, and what about a cuff strap guys to make it you know authentic Mac? C'mon put a little more effort and love into it...we're your custom and we're right...almost always :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points