Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maclachlan Hats

buler

I'll Lock Up
Reed and overwelt detail.

maclachlan_13.jpg

maclachlan_14.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Really beautiful colors and finishing! I see a bit of extra thread on the sweatband--might have paused in the machine--must make it sub-standard.

maclachlan_8.jpg

How's the fit?

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Really beautiful colors and finishing! I see a bit of extra thread on the sweatband--might have paused in the machine--must make it sub-standard.

How's the fit?

I can wear it, but its going to need a tiny stretch to really fit well. This one is worth the risks of a slight stretching.

B

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Got this Mac today. I wonder if "sub-standard" is the model name.... I really don't see a reason why its marked that so maybe Mac had some pretty high quality standards. I was hoping it was a cav edge, but its a single stitch overwelt. Great color combo with color matched wind trolley cord and button. Fully tacked bow. Air-Vac sweatband with open crimped front area. The felt is very nice. Has that beaver "rebound" especially in the crown.
maclachlan_4.jpg

Bill, all I can say is....WOW......JUST WOW. That MAC is nothing short of beautiful. I hope after the little stretch, it will fit perfect. To my eye there is nothing sub standard about that hat. Its possible that "sub-standard" could have meant factory 2nd. (As Robert said, maybe the stitching was a factor) Gibson used to do that with guitars that may have had a slight finish imperfection that they didn't want to sand out. Ive played some Gibson 2nd's and they play just as good or better than the "1st's" and Im sure that this MAC is no exception. I tell you what though, if this hat is MAC's "sub standard," it beats the pants off of many companies "Standard." Beautiful hat Bill!!!!!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Maclachlan Hats

There is a rare hat on Ebay now. A White Mac Lachlan hat from the 1950's. I've never seen one before but someone has bid the price way up. If its someone on the lounge, its all yours!!!:cool:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
What kills me is that, more than a year ago, I sold on eBay a pristine 1950s MacLachlan (size 7 1/4) that was an absolute dead ringer for the fedora worn by Bruce Willis in "Last Man Standing". It ended up going for less than $90.

Last edited:
Looks like consumer confidence is on the upswing.

Nice hat, and I'm happy for both the seller and the buyer. But $411.06? Still a better deal than most new production hats, I suppose. That's what I'd be telling myself if it were my 411 bucks.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I cant believe it went for that much. I stopped bidding on it once it hit 200.00. For some reason, it looks to me as if it were retrimmed. The crown seems very high to me. Anyway, it is a beautiful hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot