Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

I don't have AMC, so I just watched the clips on the website.

Here's the classic 50s (1953) tie on Peck - probably 2.5" to 2.75" width.

Here's Jack Lemmon in The Apartment, shot in 1959/1960

(For some reason, these pics aren't coming up)

Certainly, there's going to be crossover in every era, so in 1960 older gentlemen would have their ties from a decade before, while the younger men, entering the workforce, would probably be wearing the narrow tie. My thought is that the ties aren't too wide, but they're too boring. Mostly stripes. No geometric shapes or chessmen that were popular in the era.

I have more of a problem with the speech, language, and mannerisms. Do any of those guys talk like any grown man you knew when you were a kid? They certainly don't sound like the New York executives I remember. In the late 80s, I worked at a New York agency, and all the executives were left over from the 60s. Most of them spat when they talked.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Sylvester D

Familiar Face
Senator Jack said:
Yes, 1960s style really sucked big time.:rolleyes:

1965 is when fasion went crazy.

however, in the workplace, or at least in the corporate world, men still wore conservative suits until the early '90s.

As a lawyer, I still wear a suit everyday to worl, but i see men wearing stuff I wouldn't wear to a corner bar now

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
As recently as 2004, a very prominent bank in Chile's capital had an "unspoken" rule: every floor of its corporate headquarters had to have at least two naturally blonde young secretaries. This, in a country where nearly everyone has dark hair and eyes. Oh, and resumes must be accompanied by a photo of your face -- no matter what kind of work you're applying for. Unattractive or overweight receptionists don't tend to get hired.

I noticed the same thing in Argentina. It is especially noticable after spending a lot of time on Aerolineas Argentinas, and then taking a flight on an American airline. I think Aerolineas has a height/weight and a headshot requirement, and at the airport you always see a group of young, thin stewardesses smoking their cigs while waiting for their car.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I'm really liking the show. I'm mainly mid 40-50's but this is the best new show on TV next to Burn Notice. These guys are really screwed up and I like it. The last episode when the kid came in with the drycleaning bag on her head and the mom said the clothes better not be on the floor, that was classic. Forget about the bag on her head. Great stuff

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
I noticed the same thing in Argentina. ... I think Aerolineas has a height/weight and a headshot requirement, and at the airport you always see a group of young, thin stewardesses smoking their cigs while waiting for their car.

Chile's national airline, LAN, has very specific (and exacting) height, weight, age and 'attractiveness' requirements for its female flight attendants. The company is very open about this policy.

And have you ever seen the stewardesses of Singapore Airlines? Oh, my! :rolleyes:

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Nick Charles said:
I'm really liking the show. I'm mainly mid 40-50's but this is the best new show on TV next to Burn Notice. These guys are really screwed up and I like it. The last episode when the kid came in with the drycleaning bag on her head and the mom said the clothes better not be on the floor, that was classic. Forget about the bag on her head. Great stuff

Louis and I laughed so hard at that. And then the neighbor lady stands up with her cigarette...and she's prego....I am loving this show because it doesn't seem to be pulling any punches yet. We'll see if they can keep it up. I feel for Betty, though....you know they are just going to put her on Valium and she'll be doped up and think she's happy. Don is a weird combo of jerk and sweetheart. I love Joan!!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
I have more of a problem with the speech, language, and mannerisms. Do any of those guys talk like any grown man you knew when you were a kid?
Hell, no! You nailed it - not just the callow, lackluster delivery of the men (who come off like dull boys), but the dead, stale feeling in every scene.

The characters are flat and two dimensional, and the actors play them that way, with long stifling silences between lines - as if all anyone did in 1960 was repress their feelings like a lot of drawing room Edwardians.

gobler

One of the Regulars
Mad Men

There is a new series called Mad Men. While not strictly golden era it is set in 1960. The look of the show is pretty accurate and the social demeanor is spot on. What's interesting is that it's right before the Nixon/Kennedy election so the men still wear hats; not indoor of course.

Cheers,
Jeff

gobler

One of the Regulars
:eek: Well I "thought" I did a search for this...sorry for the double topic MK. Some may think this is a tad "thick" in portals but keep in mind, it is set in Manhattan at one of the best add agencies during 1960. Yes sexism was that blatant and male/female roles were that divided. This was also the beginning of the end for great America. Attitudes changed in just a few years due to the Cuban Missal Crises and the Kennedy assassination. By 1965 the boomers started growing up and "fighting the establishment", sorry a little :eek:fftopic: ..Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Cheers,
Jeff

panamag8or

Practically Family
I just caught it last night, so I need to catch up on the first two episodes. I like it so far, but then again, my favorite era is the post-war through Kennedy years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21