Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnoli's suits.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, it's the Super 120 wool/cashmere. It's a great suit!

The measurements are important, I think you wouldn't go wrong having a tailor make them. You can print out Indy's sizing form and take it to a tailor.

I'm hoping to lose some weight before my next suit. What I'm planning on doing is to have my suit retailored and write down the measurements at the same time.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Yes, all prices are in USD and include shipping costs. As for measuring, we've had a very high success rate of self-taken figures. Only rarely is there a problem, and when there is it's usually something small that can be altered locally. In any case, if you prefer, you can send measurements taken directly off a well-fitting suit instead of "off the body". If you do, it'd be best to e-mail me for details on how to do this accurately.

And, as for reviews, you should read some of "Doc" Devereux's reviews at my site. They make for an entertaining read: https://host385.ipowerweb.com/~indyprop/osCommerce/catalog/reviews.php

Currently they're at the bottom of the first page and the top of the second.

Kind regards,
Indy

undertaker

Practically Family
I ordered a Washington DB what aready seems like a century ago (its only been a week, but you all know how this waiting works;) ). I am very excited about this suit and can't wait to try it on for size and post some pictures. I have for some time wanted a suit made for my wharped, misshapen frame and once again because of the FL I have found someone to do it for me reasonably, my Thanks to all on the lounge:eusa_clap .

By the way, Indy, has it really ONLY been a week?lol lol lol

Regards,
J.S.

ramblinBOB

One of the Regulars
well at least some ones trying there not that bad i dont think .
its better than any thing in the stores ? he has talent maybe he will get better and lower his prices a bit

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Veronica Parra said:

You bet it did. CHINATOWN was one of the first Hollywood films to faithfully utilize vintage '30s clothing, as opposed to costumes "modernized" by studio wardrobe depts. CHINATOWN didn't try to give a contemporary twist to period costuming. Before then, every Hollywood film would "modernize" costuming, make-up and hairstyling to make period films "accessible" to modern audiences. Think GUYS AND DOLLS. Think CLEOPATRA (the '60s and the '30s versions). Think BONNIE & CLYDE. Think HELLO, DOLLY. Better yet, try to forget them!

This mania for modernizing continued into the late '70s. THE GREAT GATSBY was Ralph Lauren laying an egg: it's a small step from that to Travolta's white disco suit. Even THE GODFATHER mixed vintage with groovy, especially in the Vegas scenes. Strangely enough, THE GODFATHER, PART II got it right: just about all the costuming there looks authentic, and most of it was real vintage. Another exception was BUGSY MALONE, which (according to its costumer) utilized 100% period vintage.

Things really changed in the early 1980s, when such films as RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and THE COTTON CLUB were quite authentic when it came to their costuming. THE UNTOUCHABLES dropped the ball a bit, but that's what happens when you ask a famous clothing designer (Georgio Armani here) to design your costumes. In more recent times, BILLY BATHGATE, LAST MAN STANDING, SEABISCUIT and even OH BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU achieved high standards in authentic '30s period costuming.

muy interesante sus historias! Are you related to the famous Chilean singer I used to listen to in the 70s - Violetta Parra?

cookie said:
Are you related to the famous Chilean singer I used to listen to in the 70s - Violetta Parra?

Actually, I'm not related to Violeta. The surname Parra is fairly common in Chile. Violeta Parra came from a very talented, artistic family, noted contributors to Chilean culture, with almost every member being a distinguished national artist: her brother Nicanor is a world famous poet, her other brother (Tio Lalo) and nephew (Ángel) are two of Chile's most important folk singers, and Ángel's son (Roberto) is an important jazz/rock musician.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Zach R. said:
My grandfather bought me a Washington suit in Dark Grey as a semi-Graduation gift, and already the wait is getting to me!:p

From the looks of it I'll be recieving a fantastic suit.

Goldfinger suit...you-are-next. :p

Hey Zach,
Any pictures of the Washington suit yet? The main thing curbing me from buying it was the lack of any pictures of real people wearing it.

GOK

One Too Many
Sin Khan said:
So, I was about right on the money for what the materials would cost to make a normal suit by yourself or under consignment. The real question is, "What does labor cost?" I budgeted another 300 dollars for labor. That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a lot of labor, and that puts the total figure right about at the 500-600 dollar mark that I stated in a previous reply. So, if your going to tell me that it cost more than that to make a suit, please show it too me because so far, I have only found evidence that it does not cost, or should not, cost more than this to make a suit.

So you're willing to work for less than $10 an hour? I wouldn't even get out of bed for that! I earn minimum $40 an hour and frankly, I could still charge more. As for $15 a yard? Nooooo!

Also, you didn't factor in client consultation, measuring, pattern drafting, fitting, alteration, more fitting. These things all take time and skill.

And let's not forget that you are paying for the tailor's experience; I've been doing this for 31 years - my experience is worth paying for. :D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Veronica Parra said:
Things really changed in the early 1980s, when such films as RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and THE COTTON CLUB were quite authentic when it came to their costuming.
I remember being a 14 year old vintage jazz nut and eagerly awaiting The Cotton Club's release. Some magazine or another had done a feature on Milana Canonero's costuming and it really opened my eyes as to the style and verve of that era.

I was impressed by a walk-on by a very elegant mobster in a Homburg and double-breasted vest, who laid down the "law" to Gregory Hines in a calm and measured tone. Years later, on reseeing the film, I recognized him as Laurence Fishburne.

Canonero later did the clothes for Out of Africa, BTW...

drownman

New in Town
[Insert your choice of frustrated outbreak here]

My choice would be: "YAAAARGGH!!11:rage: :mad: :rage: :mad: "

My suit has reached Sweden, but it's caught up in customs! Now I won't have it for new year's, most likely :( It's so close I can taste...er, touch it! Picks will come, I s'pose I have to register at one of those pic-hosting sites...

melankomas

One of the Regulars
drownman said:
My choice would be: "YAAAARGGH!!11:rage: :mad: :rage: :mad: "

My suit has reached Sweden, but it's caught up in customs! Now I won't have it for new year's, most likely :( It's so close I can taste...er, touch it! Picks will come, I s'pose I have to register at one of those pic-hosting sites...

:( how frustrating! i can offer you a bit of space on one of my servers if you are against signing up at an image host, but that's all the consolation i have to offer!

drownman

New in Town
melankomas said:
:( how frustrating! i can offer you a bit of space on one of my servers if you are against signing up at an image host, but that's all the consolation i have to offer!

Thank you for your kind offer! I will try and work something out with a friend, but if all else fails, I know where to turn.
I will have the suit on tuesday, better late than never I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112