Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Masters of Sex

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Showtime (USA) drama about the relationship between / research of Masters & Johnson in the late 1950s-early 60's. It's our era and I thought I'd like the story for all the up-tight Eisenhower Era stereotypes I expected. I've only seen episode one (I'm late to the game) but I don't think I can make myself watch another. Certainly not out of prudishness, but I found it hard to care enough about what I was watching to bother trying to follow it.

masters-of-sex-011.jpg

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2137109/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I watched both seasons, and while it's no Mad Men, the show definitely has its moments. I liked the first season more than the second. The first had a terrific, moving subplot for which Allison Janney deservedly won a guest-star Emmy.

The opening title sequence is hilarious. The acting is uniformly excellent. The production design is good, if sometimes a bit broad and stereotypical. The writing varies. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the third season - and its time-jump to the mid-sixties, when Masters and Johnson finally publish their book - next month.

Full disclosure: I'll watch Lizzy Caplan in anything. She's deserved a meaty lead part for years.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I restarted this last week and am now into season 2. I don't know what I found dull first time 'round, but I am certainly enjoying it now. A great story and all the clothes and cars and hats a person could want. My SO is now asking me to get a bunch of bowties, so there's a bonus.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting how that can happen - I've also found shows or films I didn't like once suddenly appeal, often a few years later.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Interesting how that can happen - I've also found shows or films I didn't like once suddenly appeal, often a few years later.
Try as I might, I couldn't get into it. Michael Sheen was the draw to it for me, he's the master of getting into political roles, his, "Tony Blair" was amazing and his portrayal of David Frost in the Frost/Nixon interviews so good that I almost believed it was Frost. Still couldn't get into Masters of Sex though.

Edward

Bartender
Sheen is really something in both of those (not seen Masters of Sex myself); also in The Damned United. As I recall, he also did an outstanding turn as Kenneth Williams on the television (BBC?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto