Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Max's Display Case

-Max-

New in Town
I'm new here, haven't offered much more than a bit of idle chatter in the Observation Bar, but I do have some things to show off/talk about. Recently I've received some neat things from my mother for my home, some furniture with a bit of history.

To start off, this is a table that belonged to my Great-Grandmother Winfrey:
grandmas-table.jpg

I was poking around in the basement of my folks' house and found it under the stairs with a blanket thrown over it and boxes piled on top. I asked if I could take it and got the green light. Ma says that it was given to her mother by her grandmother, who fished it out of the river following a catastrophic flood upriver. Apparently there was all sorts of stuff like that washing up on the banks for some time after, and people would pull it out, clean it up, and use it.

So there that is. I've got some other stuff I need to clean up and photograph. I live in a 1910s era bungalow, so I suppose if I tried hard enough I could have a "vintage home", but for now I'm just wanting to replace all my modern self-assembly furniture with nice pieces and live like the bachelor gentleman I try to dress like.

Also, I found a tie case at an estate sale the other day:
tie-case.jpg

It's not really special, but it's a starting point and it only cost me a dollar. I picked up a pair of bright red button-style braces with it as well for 50¢. I figured it was worth that just because it had the reinforced buttons safety-pinned to them with a set of instructions on where to sew them into your trousers.

Not sure exactly how to use the tie case. The wire frame and hanger part is sort of a mystery to me. Are you supposed to hang it up? When you do, it hangs at what looks like it would be an awkward angle...

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Max, welcome to the addiction. The tie holder is just like mine. You hang the tie over the metal and fold it up and use the button straps to hold them together. Ties were also a bit shorter back then.

Mike

-Max-

New in Town
Cheers for the encouragement!

Since I posted that I've been given the start of a decent set of china, purchased and learned how to tie a bow tie, and sworn off jeans. I'm also working on cleaning up a dresser that used to belong to my grandmother. It's part of a set that goes with my bed frame, but both of them are in pretty rough condition so far as the finish goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21