Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medium-wave ends, in Germany.

On 31. December 2015, medium-wave finally ends, in Germany. "Deutschlandfunk", the last public-station offering a medium-wave-signal, will shut down its medium-wave.

Thank you for this notification, TrenchF. JUST yesterday, I was having a video call with my son in Israel, asking him about Medium Wave broadcasts there. Our concern was his being notified of any calamity in his community, such as happened last week. What will replace this aspect of medium wave programming in Deutchland, I wonder?

Medium-wave will have no successor.

And our beloved ultrashort-wave, still used by nearly everybody, is threatened, permanently. Next time will show, if DAB+ will have it's triumphal procession or not.

There MUST be some kind of system planned. Think of derailed rail cars carrying toxic chemicals as an example of an emergency incident... how will the population know to evacuate, or otherwise react?

I'm thinking of a system to alert the general public of catastrophes, in the event all people need to react to an emergency.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
What do you mean by medium wave? Would it be like North American AM 560-1700Khz or FM 88-108Mhz?

I have a few German tube radios, the prize of the collection is a SABA Breisgau with 16 tubes and 4 bands.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
It's kind of eerie. I drive an older car (sort of--it's a '99) and it has an AM/FM radio. The AM band is basically static, although I can pull in the odd French station from time to time. At the right time of day, I can even pick up the BBC. It's been quite a while since I've heard any German stations on AM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points