Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Memphis Belle 60th Anniversary DVD - WOW!!!

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
Today I received a copy of the new Memphis Belle 60th Anniversary 2-DVD set from Aircraft Films , and let me tell you, if you have ever seen this documentary before, you have not seen it quite like this! The quality of the film restoration is unreal; it's like I'm seeing the documentary for the first time. Over the years I've seen it on TV, and it always looked like an old film. And last year when I picked up a DVD of the film off of ebay, the quality was on par to the VHS copy I had copied off of PBS years ago. But this new DVD blows them out of the water (Which is not surprising; Aircraft Films is pretty much the same company as Spacecraft Films , the company that has been putting out all of those DVDs on the US Space Program).

Anyway, don't take my word for it; check out these screengrabs I did of the same scene from each DVD. It's only a single scene, but I chose one that had a lot of A-2s in it! :)

I haven't had time to check it out, but there are some additional goodies on the 2nd disc. There's a lot of unused footage that William Wyler shot for the film, and they also included the classic Jimmy Stewart recruiting film, "Earn Your Wings". All in all a great product, all for just $25. if you're student of World War II, the AAF, or the B-17, this is the DVD for you.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great 'heads up' on Memphis Belle.

Thanks for that Capt! sadly it is probably not out on REGION 2 DvD yet for Europe. But cannot wait when it comes here. That quality looks amazing!

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
I don't know, Paddy. Their website says that "The Aircraft Films line of products is available worldwide. We'll be glad to ship anywhere in the world." That most likely means that the DVDs are Region 0. At their sister site, Spacecraft Films, they say "The new Fox releases (all our products) are Region 0, and will play in all regions of the world. The discs are NTSC format, but most DVD players will play both PAL and NTSC discs. At the present time we do not intend to issue PAL versions. This is due to the large number of DVD players that can play both NTSC and PAL discs."

You're probably ok, but I would check with them first.

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
Yup, MK, that ugly mug is me. I was inspired by your original avatar you had used, the formal portrait one. I tried to copy the style of real WWII pilot portraits I had seen, with moderate success.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Smashing.

You look like you just parked your P-38 Lightening out on the ramp, unbuckled your harness, and sauntered in for a cup of joe. That must explain your smile.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Capt, big thanks on behalf of many WW2 enthusiasts.

Capt,

Just to let you know that I flagged up your posting about the new redigitilised Memphis Belle DvD on the other two websites I belong to on Yahoo (VintageLeatherJacketsII and TheClassic20th).

Many of the guys have now bought the DvD and are just raving about it. So thanks to you Capt. many more people are a little bit happier in their lives!

I'm saving up for it, as I am hoping to buy a Knox 20 Fedora (my first! yep, I'm a virgin when it comes to Fedora's).

Many thanks, as this is what these vintage forums are all about I feel.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by Captain Krunch
Yup, MK, that ugly mug is me. I was inspired by your original avatar you had used, the formal portrait one. I tried to copy the style of real WWII pilot portraits I had seen, with moderate success.

Looks great. You pull off that look really well.

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
Glad to hear others are enjoying the DVD. I'm almost done watching the entire thing myself, and it's been great checking out all those original A-2 jackets everyone was wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk