Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men rings - How to choose? What do you wear?

Edward

Bartender
I have a whole bunch of rings. I love my jewellery. Not all of them have any real monetary value, but I enjoy nonetheless. Daily I wear a titanium ring that was a present from a good friend on my left middle finger; on my right ring finger I wear a gold signet ring with a large, cut garnet in it, a birthday present from my parents for my 20th. My right pinky has a simple gold and silver band which was a 40th present to me from Herself. I also have a bunch of other rings that get worn out on occasion - several biker-style rings from SWS London (all repros of original 40s Mexican pieces), a repop of Keith Richards' skull ring, and a few other simple silver and titanium band types. These other, occasional wear pieces have no specific meaning, but I enjoy them nonetheless. I usually wear only three or four at a time, but I have been known to go up to six. :)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My father wore a similar ring in addition to his wedding band.

I wear only my wedding band; I'm not a jewellery guy at the best of times.

This is the only ring I wear apart from my wedding band.
I purchased it at the Santa Fe flea market 20years ago.
Pn5ifWQ.jpg

Leacock

Familiar Face
I just wear a promise ring which eventually will be replaced by a wedding ring.
When it comes to men and rings, I think they should only be worn as a symbol, a representation of something rather than just an accessory.
I agree with you there, I think something like a graduation ring, or a ring for some fraternal lodge makes more sense, it ought not to be just a fashion accessory, it should be more meaningful.

I've always thought a signet ring would be cool, alas I don't think my family has a coat of arms.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I wear a US Army Special Forces silver team ring with a gold cross and a seven diamond encircled bezel depiction of the constellation Orion. The shanks are etched with the Trojan Horse.

Last edited:

Leacock

Familiar Face
Make one up. Nobody can stop you, and it's as much use these days.

Initials in a monogram were also a common option.
Assumption of arms without being granted said right from the Crown is still illegal.

It may not be enforced, but it is still illegal.

Though I have been thinking of just making one with a personal symbol on a gem, but I have no idea where to find a jeweler I could commission such a thing from.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Assumption of arms without being granted said right from the Crown is still illegal.

It may not be enforced, but it is still illegal.

In theory possibly, but much like the Treason Act, I highly doubt that would in any way stand up under Article 10 scrutiny.

In theory possibly, but much like the Treason Act, I highly doubt that would in any way stand up under Article 10 scrutiny.

Especially here in the backwoods of the Colonies.

I've always wanted a family crest/coat of arms ring, and I know we have one (crest/coat of arms, that is). I want something simple, just the crest on a plain round signet ring, I don't want a lot of embellishment, and the ones I've seen have all sorts of greenery and Knights' heads and whatnot on them. I suppose I could have one specially designed and made, though that would surely up the cost. Also, being of the solid English stock that I am, I'm guessing the Old Country would be the best place to find something like that?

On a side note, I only wear a wedding ring, a simple gold band with rolled edges. The crest ring would be my second.

hutch

Familiar Face
8f40dc4c5fb65356ccba3a1824814901.jpg

I occasionally wear this ring that was a family estate consignment purchase from a local shop. The original owner (who passed) had it custom made. It is an oval bloodstone with a small center diamond in a 14k yellow gold ring.

I get many compliments from women who frequently turn to their husband and ask why he doesn't have enough confidence wear something like this.

Hutch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

fiftyforfifty

Sponsoring Affiliate
8f40dc4c5fb65356ccba3a1824814901.jpg

I occasionally wear this ring that was a family estate consignment purchase from a local shop. The original owner (who passed) had it custom made. It is an oval bloodstone with a small center diamond in a 14k yellow gold ring.

I get many compliments from women who frequently turn to their husband and ask why he doesn't have enough confidence wear something like this.

Hutch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Though I don't wear ring but must say its a great ring

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
I wear the traditional plain wedding band all the time, and a gold ring I inherited from my father. For a while I wore a another ring my father had, gold and onyx as a pinky ring. Weight loss rendered its wearing a high-risk enterprise.
I used to wear my college ring, but lost it in move to another house.

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
I own a rose gold filled and red moss agate ring circa 1880, a cheap brass and celluloid cameo ring circa 1930s, an art deco and glass ruby ring by Uncas circa 1925, abrass and gold plated Edwardian ring circa 1900, and an Ostby and Barton red glass and gold filled ring with unusual lyre shaped crescents on the side. Several sellers of identical rings have said it was 1880s, but I say it's more 1910s. I love all the unique ones that you guys have! Of all things, a man's ring must be a statement piece without being too big or showy.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Great thread, always cool to see other men not afraid to wear jewellery.
I like rings that are sculpted. So far I have a silver one in the shape of a dragon, and I recently laid my eyes on a nice bronze one shaped as a lion's head, as well as a silver one shaped as a serpent. I also own a not-so-nice steel skull ring, but am looking for a decent replacement, maybe in silver.
Plus I have an antique blank silver signet ring, which I'm planning to have engraved at some point.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ