Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men rings - How to choose? What do you wear?

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
I don't wear rings on a daily basis, a combination of holdover tendencies from my service (Aircraft and rings don't mix well) and seeing a former coworker get his finger broken while climbing a fence in a foot chase. My Marine Corps ring also chafes my fingers quite a bit when shooting, so is never worn to the range.
When I do wear rings, I keep it to a maximum of two. The aforementioned Marine Corps ring goes on my right ring finger, and I occasionally wear my grandfather's three stone wedding band on my left middle finger.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I have my college ring, yellow gold with an onyx inset and a (fake) diamond chip centered in that. Also a simple stainless steel ring, purchased for me by Miss Linda from Coldwater Creek (when they sold men's items), with a series of running foxes or wolves incised. I wear the first M-F at work; the second occasionally on weekends.

My perfect ring would be a gold model with the letters SPQR incised into the flat gold face, or with an onyx inset and the 4 letters picked out in silver or gold. But custom jewelry ain't cheap.

Though in the '90s there was a local shop that did such things for a reasonable fee. I brought him a drawing of a griffin -- the gold image on the paperback cover of Ian Fleming's On Her Majesty's Secret Service, if it matters -- and he did a tremendous job of making a detailed griffin pendant. You can see the wing feathers and even a hint of the claws. Linda wears it frequently to this day. I don't recall his name, and the shop location is now something else. But if I could find him --!

pgoat

One Too Many
Just a wedding ring for me, although I think like most things it depends on the individual, the type of attire they are matching to their jewelry and how much confidence & self-assurance they project while wearing it all. At the risk of being sexist, however, I feel generally speaking, less is better for men's jewelry.

I'll add that I have big palms and short fingers, so a larger signet type ring somehow seems to look better on my hands than a small, narrow band. I used to wear either a simple wedding band, or a Claddagh ring my wife gave me; the clunky inexpensive ring I now wear (another gift from the missus) seems to work better for me.

Not sure if that's just an overall preference for a more 'masculine' substantial ring on my part, or just how I perceive it looks on me. I suspect it's more the latter, because I see plenty of guys with narrow bands and they look great - perhaps they have longer fingers.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
I've got a few but this one is my favorite. I had this custom made by a jeweler back in the mid 70's. It's 14k with two 1/4 carat diamonds.
MySkullRing-13Dec2016.jpg

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never been one for rings personally (wedding ring excepted). Coming around to the idea gradually that it's an unexplored avenue for me that's worth a look :)

Love that ring 1955 Mercury..

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Haven't worn any kind of ring in years. Although I can admire them as works of art, I just don't like bothering with any sort of jewelry. I don't even wear a watch anymore.

iwantthatimp

New in Town
From first watching 'The Talented Mr Ripley' I fell for his 22ct gold and uncut emerald ring, and then there's the all silver signet ring Suchet wears from his Poirot masterclass. I tried to combine the two with a poor quality 6ct emerald on
emeraldring2 (2).jpg
silver. In the pic you can see I wear it on the wrong hand, traditionally it would be worn on the left hand but I feel it balances the look of my wedding band.

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
IMG_0968.JPG
I enjoy the idea of wearing rings - but seldom do in my every day life as I find they impede me in the things I need to do and especially when I do "manly" things like work on my cars/motorcycles, home repairs - and well - yes - even washing the dishes. I feel guilty if I get scratches on them. However when going out on the town I do wear my wedding ring and a 1-total carat diamond cluster ring sent in 14k. I also love the look of turquoise in a heavy silver setting and class/military type heavy rings. I wish I had one to represent my service years in the USN but alas, never did get one and now the really good ones are very expensive and I'd rather spend my money on jackets and boots. ;) One thing that is a big NOPE for me are "thumb rings"...I don't know they just don't look right to me.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 63183 I also love the look of turquoise in a heavy silver setting and class/military type heavy rings. I wish I had one to represent my service years in the USN but alas, never did get one and now the really good ones are very expensive ....

The other night I was in a restaurant when a fellow diner remarked my service ring, which is silver and features an Orthodox cross and seven diamonds
set along the bevel for the constellation Orion with the Trojan horse carved across both sides, asking if I had earned it. Before I could reply, he showed
his ring-different and we complimented our respective souvenirs of long ago and far away youth.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
From first watching 'The Talented Mr Ripley' I fell for his 22ct gold and uncut emerald ring, and then there's the all silver signet ring Suchet wears from his Poirot masterclass. I tried to combine the two with a poor quality 6ct emerald on View attachment 62830 silver. In the pic you can see I wear it on the wrong hand, traditionally it would be worn on the left hand but I feel it balances the look of my wedding band.

I see you're also a fan of Bond's watch?

iwantthatimp

New in Town
I see you're also a fan of Bond's watch?
Yea. I'm pretty big fan of all bond clothing and accessories. The watch goes well with anything, meetings in suits, shorts on the beach and looks particularly good saving the world while defusing a nuclear device (I'm informed) My budget doesn't stretch as far as playboy spy's does though. But it looks the part and I don't have to worry about scratching it, which I have a habit of doing. It's the nato strap I feel that stops it looking to flash and makes it a bit more versatile.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Yea. I'm pretty big fan of all bond clothing and accessories. The watch goes well with anything, meetings in suits, shorts on the beach and looks particularly good saving the world while defusing a nuclear device (I'm informed) My budget doesn't stretch as far as playboy spy's does though. But it looks the part and I don't have to worry about scratching it, which I have a habit of doing. It's the nato strap I feel that stops it looking to flash and makes it a bit more versatile.

I've been considering the Parnis version. (Chinese build, with Japanese Mintoya movement). Nice watch.

iwantthatimp

New in Town
I've been considering the Parnis version. (Chinese build, with Japanese Mintoya movement). Nice watch.
Looks like a lovely watch at a great price. You could wear it and not have to worry to much about it. At about double that price is the seiko skx007 which I really like and for lor less than tenth of it is the mirvaine divers (with a quartz movement. The same as a timex I belive) with the mirvaine, the nato strap cost me more than the watch. Would you put a nato strap on the parnis? There's a nice pic of it with a brown leather strap on google.

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="... seeing a former coworker get his finger broken while climbing a fence in a foot chase.[/QUOTE]
Ouch! Well not to delve on the "dark side" of jewelry but I can't resist. Similar story from a previous work-mate who jumped down off of a flat-bed truck with side panels...his wedding band caught in one of the cross panels. He said he felt a slight "tug" and heard a "tink" on the ground - looked down and there was his ring rolling on the pavement - looked at his hand..and well you can guess the rest. He put that severed finger in a napkin and rushed off the hospital - but by that time there was nothing they could do.

John_Z

Familiar Face
[QUOTE="... seeing a former coworker get his finger broken while climbing a fence in a foot chase.
Ouch! Well not to delve on the "dark side" of jewelry but I can't resist. Similar story from a previous work-mate who jumped down off of a flat-bed truck with side panels...his wedding band caught in one of the cross panels. He said he felt a slight "tug" and heard a "tink" on the ground - looked down and there was his ring rolling on the pavement - looked at his hand..and well you can guess the rest. He put that severed finger in a napkin and rushed off the hospital - but by that time there was nothing they could do.[/QUOTE]
And the motto of the story: If you wear a ring don't get a job :)

Edward

Bartender
Looks like a lovely watch at a great price. You could wear it and not have to worry to much about it. At about double that price is the seiko skx007 which I really like and for lor less than tenth of it is the mirvaine divers (with a quartz movement. The same as a timex I belive) with the mirvaine, the nato strap cost me more than the watch. Would you put a nato strap on the parnis? There's a nice pic of it with a brown leather strap on google.

The temptation is very much the Nato strap, though that said the leather one that came on the (different model) Parnis I have is very nice indeed. I've long been a fan of the Russian Vostoks, Poljots and the likes, but these civvy watches are a great alternative too.

iwantthatimp

New in Town
The temptation is very much the Nato strap, though that said the leather one that came on the (different model) Parnis I have is very nice indeed. I've long been a fan of the Russian Vostoks, Poljots and the likes, but these civvy watches are a great alternative too.
There is something a bit more relaxed and traditional about the Russian watches. My only one is this sekonda sterela/arrow. Been in the family as long as I can remember, holds terrible time but I still love to wear it now and again (like at my wedding). It always had a lovely old expanding strap that didn't agree with my hairy arm. Currently it's got a not very flattering chrome strap that will have to go. Brown leather maybe?
805d69157849495982705af8dfd6ea47.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're right: you can get absolutely lost in them. Last summer I became interested and went through all the Russian watches on Ebay (took a while) and started wondering if there were any in the Constructivist style, but I only saw one or two, and because I know almost nothing about vintage watches I was a bit squeamish about getting involved. I asked about it on the vintage watch thread but got a rather frosty response (none). I'd love to find one that worked well.
That's a sweet little watch above: I'd go with the brown leather band, or even with the reddish tone that you see with the Hamilton watchbands.

Edward

Bartender
There is something a bit more relaxed and traditional about the Russian watches. My only one is this sekonda sterela/arrow. Been in the family as long as I can remember, holds terrible time but I still love to wear it now and again (like at my wedding). It always had a lovely old expanding strap that didn't agree with my hairy arm. Currently it's got a not very flattering chrome strap that will have to go. Brown leather maybe?
805d69157849495982705af8dfd6ea47.jpg

Brown looks nice with gold, though if you only plan to wear it on 'formal' occasions, I'd go black. I'm a fan of those expanding straps, though. If/when I need a replacement strap for my Paernis, I'll probably get one of those. Of all the strap types I've ever worn, those were the most durable, comfortable, and practical.

You're right: you can get absolutely lost in them. Last summer I became interested and went through all the Russian watches on Ebay (took a while) and started wondering if there were any in the Constructivist style, but I only saw one or two, and because I know almost nothing about vintage watches I was a bit squeamish about getting involved. I asked about it on the vintage watch thread but got a rather frosty response (none). I'd love to find one that worked well.
That's a sweet little watch above: I'd go with the brown leather band, or even with the reddish tone that you see with the Hamilton watchbands.

Some fields do seem to attract snobbery in relation to nonUS or nonEU production. But hey, haters gonna hate. While the people who will buy into only the big name, inflated price items don't want to know, it leave mored bargains for the rest of us. ;)

I'd love one of the recent automatic versions of the Hamilton Ventura (I like the anachronistic nature of a mechanical, winding movement in that style), but there's a lot to be said for a daily wearer that is nice enough to show off but still won't break the bank if anything should happen to it.

MitchellFW

New in Town
I used to wear two rings, one on each middle finger, daily in my youth. Although, ever since I got married my wedding ring has been the only one I wear, it's a white gold sort of neo-art-deco fashion with a sapphire so I feel that's glitzy enough these days, if not a little over-bearing for my long skinny fingers.

I still keep all the rings, a lot of them have sentimental value such as the ones my Father gave me, the "family ring" (some ridiculous thing from the Edwardian era involving spiders I inherited) and the one my Nana gave me when I turned eighteen, but it's a rare occasion I actually put them on, usually for parties. The only downside I've found with wearing rings daily for so many years though is I've developed permanent gaps between my fingers where the flesh was compressed from the bulk of the rings. Looks a bit unsightly when the rings are off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto