Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men wearing vase/flower lapel pins?

Tiller

Practically Family
Is the character of Hercule Poirot's famous flower vase lapel pin vintage? Did most men of the time wear one, or is it just another aspect of his eccentric character?

0724n_poirot.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
The lapel vase is called a tussy mussy. Did most men of the time wear them? No. Was it an expression of his distinctive personality? As Poirot might have said, "Bien sûr, tout à fait."

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Well a chap might wear a buttonhole (flower such as a carnation or a rose) through the lapel, but usually they had a sort of holder that slotted behind to put a drop of water in to keep the flower fresh.

The BF has one. It is a flat oval shape and has a small hooked piece at the top that goes on the outside which is hidden by the flower whilst being worn. One of his vintage suits even has a little bit of looped thread behind the lapel to hold the bottom of the holder in place during wear.

It's very practical. See, they thought of everything then. :) Keep your eyes skinned at Antique Fairs or markets where they are selling cigar or cigarette holders, cufflinks etc. I've seen them lumped in with that sort of thing in cases.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miss Sis said:
a little bit of looped thread behind the lapel to hold the bottom of the holder in place during wear.

It's very practical. See, they thought of everything then.
It's called a stem keeper and you're right that it's rarely found on RTW suits these days. Oxxford suits have them, maybe Kiton and Brioni. Also, it functions just as well sans holder.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
swanky_frankie said:
I've been trying to look for one myself. would anyone know where I might find one?
Frankie, most wedding supply houses carry a selection of them. Be careful when ordering online to check the measurements, as large bouquet holders go by the same name. You will be looking for something less than 3" in length.

Some have hooks that slip into a lapel's button hole, and some have a pin that allows one to attach them where you will. As Miss Sis said, some allow the wearer to add a drop of water or two throughout the day as needed, a distinct advantage over wearing a simple boutonnière.

TussyMussy.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks SP and Miss Sis for your info,

Printing out the pages from the link as I type... This may just be the ticket for a llttle something extra for our Art Deco era Fred Astaire wannabe son.

Slim Portly said:
Frankie, most wedding supply houses carry a selection of them. Be careful when ordering online to check the measurements, as large bouquet holders go by the same name. You will be looking for something less than 3" in length.

Some have hooks that slip into a lapel's button hole, and some have a pin that allows one to attach them where you will. As Miss Sis said, some allow the wearer to add a drop of water or two throughout the day as needed, a distinct advantage over wearing a simple boutonnière.

TussyMussy.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'd advise that you buy your son the item below. It's a lapel flower vase whose shaft is hidden behind the lapel. The little clip at the top goes through the boutonniere hole and grips the hole's front.

This system was far more commonly used by men than that of the exposed vase, which women preferred. (Incidentally, it's practical for flowers that easily dehydrate ... don't bother using it with the hardy, long-lasting carnation.)

They're almost impossible to find new, but antique versions turn up on British eBay: www.ebay.co.uk

Picture.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
An excellent addition to the discussion, Marc. Thank you. Do you know if the same terminology is/was used on that side of the pond? I shall keep an eye out for one such as this, although I have no compunction about wearing the type sported by our Belgian friend.

Also, do not forget that us desert dwellers who labor long hours under less than favorable weather conditions find even hardy blooms wilting quite early in the day. A perfect excuse, I have found, to favor a lady with an afternoon forget-me-not.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not just Poirot, but many gentlemen in the teens and previous wore them. They had sort of fallen from favor by the Deco era. But Poirot wears his because the lost love of his life gave it to him. It is in one of the recent episodes with David Suchet (the best Poirot ever!).
I have been looking for a deco-style one for Sr. 1929 forever... no luck yet.

Tiller

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
Not just Poirot, but many gentlemen in the teens and previous wore them. They had sort of fallen from favor by the Deco era. But Poirot wears his because the lost love of his life gave it to him. It is in one of the recent episodes with David Suchet (the best Poirot ever!).
I have been looking for a deco-style one for Sr. 1929 forever... no luck yet.

Yes, I saw it. The Chocolate Box. I really felt for the guy when he meets her again, he puts his hand on the vase lapel looks up at her and says something like, "I was just telling your husband he was always the luckiest of men."

And of course she named her second son after him. I loved the look on his face when he saw he named Hercule :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk