Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's File -A Modern Magazine Tracing the Roots of Style

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah cool. It's out now. Any cameos or articles from Fedora Loungers this time?
I have to see if I can get it in Düsseldorf. Otherwise I have to pay postage from the magazine man in the UK.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Two Types and i had been working on something for this issue; TT doing the text for a short article on Oxford bags (the original rowing versions), and photos of a pair i made.
Unfortunately the editor failed to inform us of the deadline until it was too late. not sure what will happen to the article now. if you've followed the Oxford bag thread you know the story already.

flat-top

My goodness The Magazine Man is fast! I ordered my issue on Friday and I already have it in my hands.
Seems like it's gonna be a good one too!!

Feraud

Bartender
Agreed. As a reader, online content and downloadable pdfs do little for me. There is no pleasure of holding and flipping through the pages of a quality magazine compared to a website. I'll always prefer my groaning bookshelves than any amount of gigabyte on a digital product.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Sad part is that the printed magazine is dead. As someone familiar with the business of the printed end. The economics is just not there anymore. Every year thousands on magazines go out of business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Flat Foot Floey

Back from the dead but with a hefty price increase. £ 30 shipped to europe and the US
I just saw it comes with an issue of "Clutch" but isn't this an japanese mag? I don't know how this "bundle" makes sense.
I rarely buy japanese mags and when I do they have a strong focus on 30s vintage clothes.

http://www.themagazineman.co.uk/

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Clutch appears to be a vintage motorbike magazine. the two magazines in one seems to be the only way they could continue economically or something.

same here FFF; i'm very unlikely to spend £20-£25 on a magazine unless it's packed with very specific-to-my-interests articles.

Flat Foot Floey

It's a pity since it was easily the best (english) magazine on the market. I didn't mind the articles that are not specific-to-my-interest (surfing, motorbikes) but with the price increase I would.
In germany there is a small mag that aims at the same market but the photography is less spectacular (basically street photography like the satorialist but with "rugged" guys) It is getting old rather fast. The photo shoots in mens file were very good.

The mens file guys started doing coffee table books as well. Maybe just wait until they publish the right one and then buy this instead of the mag.

Edward

Bartender
At that price, a coffee table book would be preferable - even it was a tenner more. The print magazine business sadly is getting more and more expensive - as much as anything, it seems to me, a result of a dwindling readership at the hands of web content. Why pay for printed matter - and wait in the month - when you can get it for free, online, instantly - being thed diminant motive. I think too - less cynically - to a great degree forums like this have simply replaced paid-for-print-matter for the sense of community that once you had to buy hobbyist magazines for, or buy into clubs and get newsletters by post. Websites have all but replaced the traditional music fanzine. Mind you, outside such niche hobbies as ours, prices are shooting up. I got out of buying regualr comic books and into collected volumes instead years ago, simply because of the cost.

Flat Foot Floey

1001598_608561472545346_810831194_n.png

I don't know if the picture link works (it's from facebook) but they explain that production and printing was going fine but shipping and distribution didn't work out.
Maybe they meant the shipping to asia though and therefore teamed up with the clutch mag. I am sure the sponsors would like to get to asia too...

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I think too - less cynically - to a great degree forums like this have simply replaced paid-for-print-matter for the sense of community that once you had to buy hobbyist magazines for, or buy into clubs and get newsletters by post.

yes, and pinterest, tumblr, various blogs etc... for anyone looking for men's vintage clothing images /reference the internet is the place to go.

on an optimistic note, the Vintage Showroom's coffee table book shows that there's still a market for a good book on menswear.

Flat Foot Floey

Two Types and i had been working on something for this issue; TT doing the text for a short article on Oxford bags (the original rowing versions), and photos of a pair i made.
Unfortunately the editor failed to inform us of the deadline until it was too late. not sure what will happen to the article now. if you've followed the Oxford bag thread you know the story already.

What about this? Do you stay in contact with the publisher? The Oxford bags thing was great research!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider