Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's File -A Modern Magazine Tracing the Roots of Style

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Flo, i think Two Types is still considering options for the Oxford Bags research. it's out-grown its original two page article size, and really deserves to be a whole chapter in a book.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, maybe it is too detailed for a fashion magazine. There are new books on mens fashion but they often seem to be single author and more pictures than words.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've heard nothing back from them. They still have it. To be honest, the editor wasn't very good at responding to emails.

Edward

Bartender
Flo, i think Two Types is still considering options for the Oxford Bags research. it's out-grown its original two page article size, and really deserves to be a whole chapter in a book.

Yes, definitely. That book. You know - Phantoms of Style: The Top Ten Menswear Myths Exploded. Chapter one: The trousers that spoiled a good, good walk: The Oxford Bag....

Flat Foot Floey

Short heads up: Bought the men's file / clutch combo today for 23 € at a fair. Sodabooks also have it for far less than the magazine man (shipped to cont. Europe)
http://www.sodabooks.com/mens-file-....html?osCsid=eee936ae6c137203e87fbf411e73a5b3

I haven't read it yet but it is quite big. I still would prefer to not pay for the Japanese clutch part but I think the sodabooks price is a good value compared to the much thinner older issues.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Got it yesterday. Was sceptical before I saw it. As I was prepared to mourn MFs downfall I wanted to be pleased. For a twice a year spend £20 a pop is OK after all IMO. The MF component is as good , if not better, than before. The Clutch part is valuable. Good stuff on Japanese brands and stores. OK, my Japanese is , err, non-existent. But like all the other excellent Japanese mags is a treasure trove of pics/specs. As the alternative was the prospect of no MF at all, I'm fine with it.

Flat Foot Floey

what's the main content in the 'Clutch' half of the magazine ?

Not too much motorcycle or automobile stuff if this was your concern.
Apart from the stuff already mentioned there are a lot of leather jackets. Both classics (A2 and so on) and extraordinary (freewheelers)
A few blanket coats, some denim, almost no suits...about the same stuff you would expect in men's file too.
Sometimes the captions are in english but they seemed to have problems with the translation. Some captions start normal and end up in gibberish, half words, repeated fragments...looks quite bizarre. But their english is better than my Japanese so...

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
However I found something for y'all who missed the first issues. There is a best of book on amazon for a good price. Didn't buy it yet though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Best-Me...=1408983739&sr=8-1&keywords=best+of+mens+file

i haven't seen the book yet but apparently it contains articles from the first four issues.

there's a photo of me taken at Goodwood '13 in the new issue 11. also, smaller photos of Barmey and ex-lounger Salv on the opposite page.

the copy i have doesn't have the Clutch half so i still haven't seen the Men's File / Clutch double issue collaboration extravaganza.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk