Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Underwear Basics: Underwear, Undershirts

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I use A-shirts myself. In this climate, wearing more than 2 layers of clothing gets hot. I pretty much use them as a mask for my white shirts, so it doesn't look as if I'm not wearing an undershirt. T-shirts under dress shirts in a temperate climate with a suit or sport jacket are overkill, especially if you're not in the habit of removing your jacket. You'll heat up and sweat more with a t-shirt.

When dressed well, I use sock garters. Nothing ruins the look of a good pair of socks like having them bunched up at the ankles.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
I found some household tips on farmersalmanac.com awhile back and thought I would share, especially the one for perspiration stains.

I don't know if these hints really work, but they don't seem like they would cause any harm either.

For smelly shoes use crumpled up newspaper to absorb the smell and keep the shape of the shoe.

For perspiration stains on our favorite white shirts it calls for 4 tablespoons of salt per pint of water and dab til it disappers.

Some tricks my sister (miss suzy homemaker, herself) taught me was peroxide removes blood and aresol hairspray removes ink. These 2 tips I have used, and they DO work.

As for the mens undershirts...I buy them a few sizes to big and wear them as pajamas. I'm all about the comfy cotton.
: )

Edward

Bartender
Sir RBH said:
On the subject of underwear and trad items.. what about sock suspenders?? How many of you have ever worn them? or possibly wear them on a regular basis? I could not possibly conceive leaving the house without my socks properly supported by my sock suspender.. unless of course I am sporting plus fours!
RBH

I'd like to get some myself - not for regular wear, but for when I really want to look my best and not have my socks roll up on a night out (especially black or white tie gatherings). They're on my list to acquire....

I've never bothered with period style underwear when it comes to wearing vintage style clothes - early 20th Century man-clothes, I don't think it has any bearing on how the garment hangs, so I prefer the comfort of my stretchy-jersey CK shorts. :) I'm intrigued by the notion that an undershirt - a vest, as we call them over here - would help keep me cool. I'd be tempted to try that sometime.... normally in the winter I'll wear a T shirt under a shirt when going casual, but even then rarely with a suit (unless I'm gonig to spend a large amount of time outside). Wore one as a kid for keeping the heat in in the Winter.... I might experiment and see if they help keep me cool. It seems counter-intuitive somehow - especially if I'd be wearing a three-piece?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
T-shirts have the enormous advantage that they cover the armpits, and if you choose the right material, they shouldn't be too warm, anyways not much warmer than A-shirts from the same material.

The sock thing can really be annoying - either they strangle your calf or they drop. I don't see myself trying suspenders, though. Rather over-the-calf socks/stockings. That would be warmer, of course, but I spose suspender bands aren't too airy either.

Bebop

Practically Family
Wow! I thought that if there was something I was good at, it would have been knowing how to wear my underwear. Thanks for the tips. Live and learn. [huh]

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Here in Louisville Penny's carries T-Shirts in two different weights. Normal and Heavy weight. So I am able to wear a lighter T-shirt in the summer.

Cobden

Practically Family
I must say, in the UK, I think it's very rare for people to wear vests/undershirts. I don't wear them myself except when I need to wear shirtsleeves in the depth of winter, and no-one I know wears them over here.

Interesting cultural difference, really [huh]

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Delicated question but...how long until you toss out your underwear and buy new ones?

Some guys hang on to it until all that is left is the elastic band.

I heard of one guy who won a lottery jackpot and bought 365 pairs of underwear. He wore a pair a day and then threw them away - never washing them for reuse.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brian Sheridan said:
how long until you toss out your underwear and buy new ones?
I tend to pitch my undershirts when they lose their whiteness and acquire that washed-out grey look or if any holes or stains appear. I don't wear white undershorts so greying isn't as much an issue as stains, holes and played out elastic.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bleach my t-shirts every single wash. Thus their color never changes. I used to wear wife-beaters but ONLY because many many girls complimented me when I wore them. Not because they served much of a function.

I cannot wear any t-shirt of any kind under a dress shirt, esp if I have a tie and jacket. I cannot bear the suffocating feeling. Yes, I have to wash my dress shirts after each use; but so what? And as far as undershirts protecting the dress shirt from sweat: I never understood that one. If it's the MARKS of sweat you are worried about, wear a jacket over the dress shirt, and since you don't have a t-shirt on in additon, you won't be too hot. If it's sweat DAMAGING your dress shirt, wash it after use ...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doran said:
I bleach my t-shirts every single wash. Thus their color never changes
I can not stand the smell of bleach. But I've recently begun using Oxyclean with the whites, we'll see how well it works at preventing greying.

Doran said:
And as far as undershirts protecting the dress shirt from sweat: I never understood that one.
They protect suit/sportcoats from sweat stains. I never wore undershirts until, as an adult, I moved to Houston. One of my partners, a native Houstonian, clued me in to wearing undershirts to stay cooler in the brutal heat and humidity. I tried it even though it sounded incongruous to add another layer of clothing to beat the heat. He was right.[huh]

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Brian Sheridan said:
Delicated question but...how long until you toss out your underwear and buy new ones?

Oh, I wash them.

Seriously, has the problem been mentioned that some antiperspirants leave nasty yellow stains? Something about the aluminium, IIRC, and a friend with a PhD in chemistry once told me a simple solution, which I instantly forgot. Have to ask him again.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think soaking in an aspirin solution is supposed to work with those stains.

Layers of loose cotton or linen are cooler than just one layer of dress shirt stuck to your back.

Travis

Suspended
I wear an a-shirt every single day. I also wear white boxers. I toss them out and replace them when the material starts to show a lot of wear or they get holes in them, other than that, they're still in good condition, why get rid of them?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
I can not stand the smell of bleach. But I've recently begun using Oxyclean with the whites, we'll see how well it works at preventing greying.
They protect suit/sportcoats from sweat stains. I never wore undershirts until, as an adult, I moved to Houston. One of my partners, a native Houstonian, clued me in to wearing undershirts to stay cooler in the brutal heat and humidity. I tried it even though it sounded incongruous to add another layer of clothing to beat the heat. He was right.[huh]

Bleach is a repellent smell, I agree.
I have never gotten sweat stains on any suit or sportcoat I'm aware of.

Maybe it isn't so hot where I live.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bump.

Note that this was a previously closed thread that contained a lot of insulting comments, mainly from a member who has since been banned. That's why you may see references to the thread being abrasive. The garbage has been removed.

I'm sure we can talk about underwear without being unpleasant, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points