Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Underwear Basics: Underwear, Undershirts

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Usually I save my bluntness for the AAAC forum. However, I'll make an exception in this case.

Briefs are for girly men like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. I also put suspenders, bow-ties, cuffed trousers, and parting one's hair down the middle in the girly-man category.

M8

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Well hell, wearing briefs and suspenders, and, I'll be, hair parted down the middle... Guess being a logger from north Idaho probably doesn't do me any favors either?:rolleyes: Martinis? I'll buy you a man drink sometime.[huh] lol

fatwoul

Practically Family
Martinis at 8 said:
Briefs are for girly men like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. I also put suspenders, bow-ties, cuffed trousers, and parting one's hair down the middle in the girly-man category.

I'm not a briefs person either, but this comment seems unfair to me. I hardly think a man's choice of men's underwear dictates his masculinity.

As Dan G hints at, there are some occupations and lifestyles which would suit one type of underwear more than the other, and they have nothing to do with whether or not the wearer is "girly". :rolleyes:

number6

Familiar Face
parting

Martinis at 8 said:
Usually I save my bluntness for the AAAC forum. However, I'll make an exception in this case.

M8

I'm with you all the way except for the centre parting bit , mine's now 6 inches wide .:D

BrotherBob

Familiar Face
Neither

Here's me in the London Marathon:

_41591848_thong_getty220.jpg

You got a problem with that?

I don't do boxers well. Mr. Happy won't stay in one place and mind his manners. Briefs, but for the love of Jeebus, no white ones. They remind me too much of my Dad wandering around his house at night. And whiteys rob you of one more opportunity to coordinate colors.

Edward

Bartender
I grey up with big, 70s-style, white Y-fronts - think the young man on the right of this picture:

10-23-03-riff_janet_brad_elevator.jpg

It's what dad wore, so it's what was bought for us... At about 12, and following much mickey taking and one severe wedgie in the changing rooms at school, I moved into boxers and have stayed there ever since. About twelve years ago I developed a preference for snug-fitting jersey boxers, and I stick to those exclusively now (Rocky Horror costumes aside. :p ). Most of mine are CK, actually - for no better reason than I got a job lot for crazy cheap per pair on eBay. If I'd paid what they normally charge in a store, you better believe I'd be wearing them on the outside for all to see. lol

I think we guys get the easier end of the deal than the ladies by far: vintage men's styles will sit just fine whatever choice of (under)pants we make. Ladies got to wear the right period underwear to get things to look just right on the surface - whether or not that's to their comfort or taste.

vonwotan

Practically Family
My preference these days is for the hybrid "boxer-briefs" from a company called Staples in Canada. They make them from silk that stretches and they cover the elastic in the waist. I find them more comfortable and easier to wear under well tailored trousers. I used to wear boxers but, most now feel bulky and bunch. I do have a few pairs of boxers I like to wear around the house - they come when I order shirts from our tailor in NYC.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Definitely boxer briefs...I'm quite active and am also prone to random bouts of backflips and dancing...Thus, boxers are not the way to go. Plus, I like the way they look.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
OK, here's another gal checking in.

I grew up assuming adult men wore boxers because, everytime a comedian on TV did a pratfall, his trousers fell down revealing -- boxers with hearts or polka dots or, well, check out any old Bob Hope movie.

I do prefer boxers on men. I agree with a couple of you fellows who mentioned that briefs, especially white briefs, look like bandages. And white is sooo boring. I don't like white undies, not on anyone.

While it is true that briefs show off a man's, uh, assets, it is also true that boxers leave it to the imagination. And the imagination can be....

I am censoring the rest of this.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21