Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael Jackson's Stuff

volatile

A-List Customer
Michael Jackson is having an auction of a huge amount of stuff in April.

The catalogues for the furniture and antiques sections of the sale are online and it turns out that Mr. Jackson has really, really good taste (if a little eccentric, obviously)! If the estimates are to be believed, you may be able to pick up some stunning vintage or vintage-looking furniture, homewear and decorative items for an absolute steal - check, for example, the parlour set (item 223) at $800.

If anyone has a bit of cash to splash and is in the market for some eccentric and quirky things to fill their homes with, this really might be worth a look. "Treasures" doesn't even go far enough.

volatile

A-List Customer
carouselvic said:
I believe if I can get me some of that there TARP money, I just might have to register for this auction.

If I didn't live in another country, I'd be all over this stuff. I just can't afford the shipping and import duties.

I reckon the really weird, iconic stuff will sell, but that a lot of the more mundane homewear and furniture will barely raise a titter. Let us know how you get on!

volatile

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
Many of the estimates seem very low.

That's what I thought. Often ludicrously so.

That's either to drum up business, or because a previous auction of his stuff didn't do so well at all. Probably the former.

There may be an interesting bit of psychology at play, too - in Quirkology, Richard Wiseman reports on a psych experiment that examined people's reactions to "contaminated" goods, and found that, given the hypothetical choice, would rather wear a cardigan covered in dog excrement than a freshly-laundered one that had belonged to Adolf Hitler! Now, Jacko's not quite in the same league as Hitler, of course -- but perhaps the idea of having Michael Jackon's ornaments of children in their home puts people off?

Me - I don't care. A gorgeous sofa is a gorgeous sofa.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed that the estimates on the sterling and parcel gilt sterling flatware and hollowware seems to have it priced at about 50% of current scrap value, which is just about right in the current market.

The Lladro figures are a modern synthetic collectable, and are not of much value. Most of the dinnerware is modern, or at least of recent (post 1960) vintage. broken sets of used dinnerware have never fetched top dollar. Much of the furniture is modern. The great preponderance of reproduction pieces will tend to depress the value of the general stuff. The textiles (rugs, mostly0 are also relatively modern. Most of the bronzes appear to be modern cchinese replicas of 19th century French pieces, and are not of great value. Neither are many of the marbles.

It appears that Mr. Jackson (or his interior decorators) purchased many, many pieces from the AA Importing catalogs, along and others form Premier, Stellar, and B&C. I'm suprised to see no "Ivory" miniatures in frames made of old piano keys, and no life-sized statues of Chinese gods inlaid with piano-key Ivory.

This is a typical estate auction, and the estimates are typical estate auction prices.

I wold expect that overall the total would be about 80% of the sum of the estimates, as the market is very poor just now.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
scotrace said:
Many of the estimates seem very low.
That's often the case, no need to scare anyone off. It's not unusual for the winning bid to treble the estimate, and more.

Foofoogal

Banned
Now, Jacko's not quite in the same league as Hitler, of course -- but perhaps the idea of having Michael Jackon's ornaments of children in their home puts people off?

Just looking at this stuff makes me want to go take a bath. Yuck...sicko wacko jacko. Dude should be in prison IMHO.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I´d love to have Hitler´s cardigan lol
As for the catalog - the furniture is mostly very nice, but the decorative items are often more than disgusting. All those statues and statuettes, especially the china ones... I think I need to clean my eyes, before looking at the other items. The paintings are mostly horrible as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21