Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Microcracks all over Steerhide Aero jacket?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hello FL folks, as my name indicates I've really become a fan of Aero's over the last few years. So back in November of 2015 I purchased a new Aero 30's half belt in Steerhide. I love the jacket, it's breaking in well with great patina developing. However as the photos below show, I am also finding very small cracks all over the back panels of my new jacket. This is unusual for me, I am only used to seeing cracks in leather on old boots that I've worn hard for 5-10 years. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

Anyone else experanced this? Any product I should apply to help this condition? Aero's website says "no conditioner or oil till it's 20+ years old" (Paraphrase). Look closely at the photos, the "grain" is apparent however the fairly evenly spaced lines are actually cracks, they seem to have the shape of cells in your skin only larger.

Thanks in advance for your input....
DSC_0018.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG

AdeeC

Practically Family
I had a close look at your photos and I can't see any cracks or a problem there, just graining and wrinkles. If cracked there should be lifting edges and the base colour showing through. Any problem must be microscopic in size and near invisible to the naked eye.

Last edited:

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Hi AeroFan,

I'm actually having the same issue with my jacket, although I can't really see the cracks in your pictures. I have a 1.5 year old Aero 1930s halfbelt in Steerhide. There's about 3-4 very small cracks on the upper back panel of the jacket (raised edges and a bit of base color showing through). I don't think it's a really big deal as long as the cracks don't get bigger. To be honest, I actually thought it was kind of normal (part of the break in process with the heavy Steerhide), so I haven't even reached out to Aero or Thurston Bros. But I'm glad I'm not the only one it's happening to!

Dave

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Totally normal I think. That's just grain. I noticed some minute surface cracks in some Horween steerhide on one of my old jackets, but I think it's normal and not of any concern. One thing I've learned:there is a strong level of durability for leather, even when it appears the top coat is cracked. Unless it's a huge gash or the leather is old and rotting away you're fine!
Check this out on my Johnson flight jacket. A gash (or burn from cigarette ash) that took about half of the thickness of the leather off. I took it in for Alan to look at and I could tell he was chuckling to himself at my paranoia. And this goatskin in much thinner than your Aero steer.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Hi AeroFan,

I'm actually having the same issue with my jacket, although I can't really see the cracks in your pictures. I have a 1.5 year old Aero 1930s halfbelt in Steerhide. There's about 3-4 very small cracks on the upper back panel of the jacket (raised edges and a bit of base color showing through). I don't think it's a really big deal as long as the cracks don't get bigger. To be honest, I actually thought it was kind of normal (part of the break in process with the heavy Steerhide), so I haven't even reached out to Aero or Thurston Bros. But I'm glad I'm not the only one it's happening to!

Dave

The OPs looks normal to me and I have a three year old CXL steer which looks very similar in parts. If yours is cracking more than that it might need some conditioning. There are as many opinions as people when it come down to how often and what you should use to condition hide. But if yours is CXL it is worth remembering that Nick Horween has written that the best stuff to use is pure neatsfoot oil applied sparingly after a few years if the leather looks like it needs it. He says that is the closest to the oils they put into the leather.

Most people will tell you to avoid neatsfoot oil at all costs because it has a bad reputation and can rot the thread if used too often. But it takes a lot of it over a long time to do that and no one is suggesting that.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, don't see a problem either. That's just grain.

Even if you do get some small surface cracks, it's not really a problem, leather is basically a soft canvas that is painted, if the coat of paint has hard spots they might crack here and there.
This doesn't mean that the hide underneath it is cracking, it's just the top coat and is nothing to worry about.

Some of the nicer leathers I've seen from Aero. I really don't see any cracks at all, looks like a perfectly healthy leather.

If you're talking about the slight discoloration on the folded edges where the panels have been stitched, that's also perfectly normal & it's something that appears on every leather jacket, ever. And yes, what Carlos said, that's just the top coat 'cracking', not the leather itself. Leather will remain intact. Again, check out Dav's HWM.
Oh, and in my humble opinion, the leather lotion will not have any effect on the top coat. To get rid of the 'cracks', you'd have to get the top coat reapplied but really, it's not a problem at all.

This thread is a good example of the downside of forums such as this one. I don't mean that the OP did anything wrong, of course - it's great this issue has been settled for AeroFan, so he needn't worry anymore - but as informative and helpful as this place is, all those threads talking about leather and leather properties naturally get people to become overly concerned about their investments, while they should simply be enjoying these beautiful jackets.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I really appreciate the feedback! Looked at it in more detail again this morning and I'm not seeing base color coming through at all. You are all very right about the break-in, this half-belt has broken in very well and just getting better. I'll stop looking so closely at the grain and just wear it! I'll send some photos of the whole jacket at a later point. Thank you!

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Hi Capesofwrath,

Yes, there's a few small holes/cracks in the leather. I didn't say anything to Aero or Thurston because I thought it was normal, but then I saw the OP's thread.

I actually conditioned the jacket a few weeks ago with Pecards because I too was afraid that the leather was too dry. However these holes/cracks appeared about a year ago after only owning the jacket for a few months with minimal/normal wear and Aero said that new jackets shouldn't need any conditioner ...

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Hi Monitor,

Yup, the holes/cracks just appeared over time I suppose. This is my first high-end leather jacket, and I just thought the holes were part of the break-in process and/or normal wear and tear. I definitely don't remember anything puncturing or piercing the hide, or scraping up against anything such that would cause the holes.

Now you guys have me worried that I should contact someone about this issue!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi Monitor,

Yup, the holes/cracks just appeared over time I suppose. This is my first high-end leather jacket, and I just thought the holes were part of the break-in process and/or normal wear and tear. I definitely don't remember anything puncturing or piercing the hide, or scraping up against anything such that would cause the holes.

Now you guys have me worried that I should contact someone about this issue!

Do you have better pictures of that hole?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto