Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Microcracks all over Steerhide Aero jacket?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Hi Monitor,

Yup, the holes/cracks just appeared over time I suppose. This is my first high-end leather jacket, and I just thought the holes were part of the break-in process and/or normal wear and tear. I definitely don't remember anything puncturing or piercing the hide, or scraping up against anything such that would cause the holes.

Now you guys have me worried that I should contact someone about this issue!

To have a hole appear just by itself doesn’t seem right at all. I second the better pictures because I thought the hole might be caused by damage from abrasion or impact from the ones you put up.

You might want to try something like "Hide Food". It's repaired tiny cracks in leather car interiors. I don't know how, but it's pretty amazing stuff.
Last resort of course.

Hondurasdave47, aye, try to post a high res photo of the thing. Also, is it a surface crack or has the leather been punctured all the way through?

I've seen this happen before, though rarely. It starts off as a substantially weakened and thin spot on the hide, usually where the deep scar used to have been on the animal, and being thin and brittle, with time the leather will simply crack there and give in.

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
I know it sounds crazy, but I promise I don't remember any abrasion or impact. Here's some better pictures (I hope). It's the best my iPhone can do, i'm afraid. The first two pictures are of the bigger hole, the third picture is of the second (and smaller) hole.

Thanks for the tip, handymike!

image2-3.JPG

image3-2.JPG

image4-2.JPG

Attachments

• image4-2.JPG
    image4-2.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 263
It's the exact same thing I've had on my jacket. I didn't like it. Can't give you any advice on how to remedy this but I think I can safely say that this shouldn't be happening on a new leather jacket. Not on it's own.

Edward

Bartender
Has that jacket been left lying on the floor at any time? It looks very much like a couple of divots that appeared in one of my leathers after I foolishly stored it on the floor, and a carpet beetle got to it.

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Hi Edward,

No, I haven't. I always hang the jacket on a wood hanger when I'm not wearing it.

Do you think wearing the jacket in the extreme cold would cause the leather to crack and eventually form a hole? Winters get pretty cold in Cleveland, and I tend to wear my jacket quite a bit in the winter. Just a thought ...

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Hi Edward,

No, I haven't. I always hang the jacket on a wood hanger when I'm not wearing it.

Do you think wearing the jacket in the extreme cold would cause the leather to crack and eventually form a hole? Winters get pretty cold in Cleveland, and I tend to wear my jacket quite a bit in the winter. Just a thought ...

Extreme conditions might do that I suppose. CXL gets very stiff in the cold when the oils solidify. Why don’t you send the pictures to Aero or Thurston and see what they think.

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Hi Capesofwrath,

Thanks for the tip. I just wrote Carrie at Thurston Bros. I'll let you all know what she has to say. Also, I'm so sorry, AeroFan. I didn't mean to hijack this thread!

Dave

my couch has a cushion where the same thing is happening, so I think it might be part of the nature of leather as it wears in.
wCWfWd0.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think one of the problems when you invest in a high end leather jacket is that you tend to molly-coddle the thing. I remember I did the same. It's easy to microscopically examine a newish jacket that you've paid a lot of money for and think, "ooh it's got a blemish here or a scratch here". But these signs of wear are a good thing. Also, leather (well good quality horse, steer, goat) is bloody sturdy stuff. It can take a lot of punishment. Good quality leather looks better the more it is used and the more beaten up it gets - well that's what I think.

Once I stopped worrying unduly about my jackets and just wore the %&/! out of them they just got better and better. Now I'm probably one of the most uncaring of my jackets. That's not to say that I don't like them, just that I'm not going to have a fit if they get a scratch, a funny crease, etc.

To the OP, you've got a really great super high quality jacket. Just stop worrying about it and wear it, and stop worrying about any tiny little wear and tear. I don't mean this nastily but from personal experience once you stop worrying about this little thing and that going on with a jacket, and just rather wear the jacket you'll have a lot more fun wearing it. Creases, grain, scuff marks, wear points and all that are good things. Just wear the heck out of it and stop thinking about every little new mark or imperfection wear inevitably produces.

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Hahaha very true, guys. I suppose I could always make something up ...

To bring some closure to the issue, I reached out to Carrie. She said that this isn't a big deal and only adds to the patina of the jacket, consistent with what Smithy and some other folks have articulated above. I think I just get nervous sometimes since, as we all know, these jackets are sizable investments.

I appreciate all of your feedback. I'm going to keep wearing the jacket hard and let it develop some character without freaking out over every little scratch and crack.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider