Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Microcracks all over Steerhide Aero jacket?

chamboid

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't hang a jacket, especially a jacket as heavy as an Aero on hangar in the closet. The weight would gradually pull it down, and could cause surface cracks to appear. Though, this isn't really an issue, only the top coat cracking a little.

I'm sure you know, but a little bit of pecards will feed that area up.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I know it sounds crazy, but I promise I don't remember any abrasion or impact. Here's some better pictures (I hope). It's the best my iPhone can do, i'm afraid. The first two pictures are of the bigger hole, the third picture is of the second (and smaller) hole.

Thanks for the tip, handymike!

View attachment 44170

View attachment 44172

View attachment 44173

That kind of damage though minor would be hard to prove that it was a pre existing fault. Could be a variety of causes. I once tore a V shaped gash on the shoulder of an A2 jacket and never found out how it happened. By appearance it looked like I brushed against something hard and sharp but I have no recolection doing it. To me it does not look serious. In the long term would add character as long as they do not get bigger.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again, these jackets are just a little different that the "store bought" motorcycle leathers and "regular" grade jackets I have owned in the past. As for "mollycoddle" that's certainly not me, I wear a backpack with a sizeable laptop in it to work and this Half-Belt is my "daily driver", ins snow, rain, ice and even down to around 0 degrees F. Colder than that the Down filled coat or Wool coat comes out. I've had and worn leathers for many years and yes indeed there is nothing like a well broken in leather with good patina. And yes, as for smell, it can't be beat. I don't smoke, but that would add it's own form of character. Thanks again for all the thoughts....

devilish

A-List Customer
Unless it is going to cause catastrophic structural failure, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Aero leather is so thick and of such a quality that a few small imperfections here and there are of no matter.
If you saw this on a 40's or 50's Hercules or the like you would barely even acknowledge it. It would fade into the general 'vintage' look that is so sought after.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hahaha very true, guys. I suppose I could always make something up ...

To bring some closure to the issue, I reached out to Carrie. She said that this isn't a big deal and only adds to the patina of the jacket, consistent with what Smithy and some other folks have articulated above. I think I just get nervous sometimes since, as we all know, these jackets are sizable investments.

I appreciate all of your feedback. I'm going to keep wearing the jacket hard and let it develop some character without freaking out over every little scratch and crack.

Dave
I've had my LHB for four years now. For the first couple of years I laid the jacket out on my desk every evening under the lamplight to examine it for that day's wear. Now I only do it sometimes.

StrykerMontana

New in Town
OP, I'm new here and I'm no garment expert but I use and abuse leather in many ways. I also take good care of it and use many types. Cows have grain and vein the closer you get to the belly (edge). Good saddle makers and tailors will try to do a job with leather from one spot or match the grain. Your jacket looks awesome. Has nice grain that is distinctive to that Hyde and some vein. Its just contrasting with a different piece of leather from another animal. It appears to be in good order with an illusion of cracking. Its only going to get better with use. Live in it for a while! The other photos show some dried out and thirsty leathers your perspiration feeds the leather, the rain feeds the leather, even bugs and beer! If your jacket ever gets wet, don't ever get it near heat, just let it dry in a normal room out of the sun. The photo of a hole was the jacket doing its job and prevented you from getting a gash. You sometimes never even feel the object you snagged. The pull on the leather looks like what happens to my gloves on a barb snag while fencing. It was snagged,caught and pulled out. Been fishing? Anyway, you guys have some nice gear. I'm not a collector, just a heavy user that maintains my gear. From rifle slings, boots, holsters, jackets and car seats...Leather is alive and you need to feed it and use it or it will die and decompose.
There we go, off on a tangent! Peace.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Hello FL folks, as my name indicates I've really become a fan of Aero's over the last few years. So back in November of 2015 I purchased a new Aero 30's half belt in Steerhide. I love the jacket, it's breaking in well with great patina developing. However as the photos below show, I am also finding very small cracks all over the back panels of my new jacket. This is unusual for me, I am only used to seeing cracks in leather on old boots that I've worn hard for 5-10 years. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

Anyone else experanced this? Any product I should apply to help this condition? Aero's website says "no conditioner or oil till it's 20+ years old" (Paraphrase). Look closely at the photos, the "grain" is apparent however the fairly evenly spaced lines are actually cracks, they seem to have the shape of cells in your skin only larger.

Thanks in advance for your input....
View attachment 44143 View attachment 44144 View attachment 44144
I don't own an Aero jacket and I know they have a great reputation. But I don't like the looks of this period. These pics should have been posted without saying the brand name rite away to just get opinions of the leather itself. This looks dried out or something....too crinkly and raised IMO. These raised little parts are the ones that get caught on stuff and start to pull and peel.....like getting in and out of your car or rubbing or leaning against wood or something. Another has posted pics of his Aero steerhide but it does not appear to be as brittle as this. It seems flatter and does not have the pointy edges like the OP's does. If I was buying a leather jacket and had a few choices in front of me I would choose one that didn't have this patch of leather on it. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ