Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military style cap?

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
I like the looks of the peaked cap that militaries around the world use, and was wondering if there is some sort of civilian cap thats similar to one? particularly to the crush cap. Or perhaps a crush cap with the badge taken off could be worn if these are difficult to find? I have searched google and not been able to dig up anything.

Thanks, Wolfe

Lonny

One of the Regulars
I've seen some Greek fisher caps which bear a close but civilian resemblance to peaked caps.
I was a part of a reenacting group for a bit and I found a great German crusher cap which was the most comfortable thing I've ever worn, I always thought about just pulling off the insignia and wearing it like that, but then I thought it might be too visibly military and could be mistaken as a fetish thing. lol

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Brixton again...

Brixton is a funky little skate brand that does some very nice military style caps in the vein of those worn in the 60s and 70s.

The "Fiddler" is close to what you describe and comes in all sorts of colours...

brixton-fiddler-hat.jpg

m_brixton_f09_bricafidbrtwbl_cap_fiddler_brown_black.jpg

They also do one called the "busker" which is closer to a kepi...

311Emif3QFL.jpg

They're not too expensive either and appear to be quite well made for a "fashion hat"

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Lonny said:
I've seen some Greek fisher caps which bear a close but civilian resemblance to peaked caps.
I was a part of a reenacting group for a bit and I found a great German crusher cap which was the most comfortable thing I've ever worn, I always thought about just pulling off the insignia and wearing it like that, but then I thought it might be too visibly military and could be mistaken as a fetish thing. lol
http://greekfishermancaps.com/
Not too much more than the Brixton ones, and guaranteed for life.

Edward

Bartender
Those 'Greek fisherman' style caps* are great. The first hat I wore on a daily basis was a corduroy cap in that style, by Kangol. I am now on black number 3, with a brown cord one, and also a wool version in navy. Great hats, work well with an A2 or similar, or in any condition where a newsboy might be considered. FWIW, I tend to feel they also work better with a long overcoat and a suit than a newsboy, just a touch more formal (perhaps a distant echo of the military style?).

Interesting you should mention a de-badged crusher. I've considered that myself, though I have largely decided to go the route of a Brando-style, eight panel, peaked motorcycle cap in order to give it a bit more of a civilian look, especially when worn with an A2.

* They're also commonly referred to as yachting caps. I once got told, back in Uni days, that mine was reminiscent of "a gay Spanish train driver", while somebody around the same time shouted "Captain Scarlet!" at me, from moving traffic....lol

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
I was thinking of getting a black or an olive one ( maybe even both ) any thoughts or suggestions otherwise?

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
Wolf, I often remove the eagle from my WWII Army service cap.....
Its a common mistake, but please try to remember its Wolfe, and its not some sort of nickname.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
elvisroe said:
Brixton is a funky little skate brand that does some very nice military style caps in the vein of those worn in the 60s and 70s.

The "Fiddler" is close to what you describe and comes in all sorts of colours...

brixton-fiddler-hat.jpg

m_brixton_f09_bricafidbrtwbl_cap_fiddler_brown_black.jpg

They also do one called the "busker" which is closer to a kepi...

311Emif3QFL.jpg

They're not too expensive either and appear to be quite well made for a "fashion hat"
I was looking at these and thinking i would buy one, then this! As far as i can tell, this is on the back of all the hats.
bxfihtbtw2.jpg

I guess i'll go with the greekfishermancaps.com hat.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This type of seaman's cap has a military feel. It is reminiscent of WWI type of Naval caps. This one is German
DSCN3917.jpg

Sorry for the image but could not find one with the cap only.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
WolfeMan, the military caps have been popping up on ebay quite a bit these days. Obviously, the smaller your size better luck you'll have. The olive greenish wool versions are more common than the tan ones, so that might be a real option for you. For more information on them, as well as replicas, search out the merged Crusher Cap Thread (concentrate on the last 5 pages or so).

For something less militry, how about these?
http://www.hatpeople.com/sportshop/catalogue/cat.html

I think the old caps like Brando wore were gas station attendant caps.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
WolfeMan said:
I was looking at these and thinking i would buy one, then this! As far as i can tell, this is on the back of all the hats.
bxfihtbtw2.jpg

I guess i'll go with the greekfishermancaps.com hat.

Yeah, bummer about that! I guess it is a skate brand after all [huh]

Nice find with the greek fishing caps - I've got a black on that's too big for me but had never seen them in another colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points