Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

woolding

New in Town
Thanks for both comments. The one Stevieboy1 refers to is what I am looking for. Far better fit than modern ones. I have already got a white sub sweater from Silverman'.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have already got a white sub sweater from Silverman'.

Obviously we share the same sensible taste in woollies. I have a white sub sweater from Silverman's that has lasted for years: I look forward to the change of seasons so I can wear it again! Do you have any of the woolly pullies that have been discussed widely in this thread?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Not sure if this is the one your after, royal navy sub sweater from silvermans in London.

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/collect...yal-navy-sub-sweater-white?variant=4198076483

That Silverman's Sub Mariner Sweater is very realistically priced too.

By the way, Mr Woolding, have a look at another website which has been recommended here, it is called "Sou'West Chunkies" based in Cornwall, they do all made to measure heavy chunky pullovers and also "Ganseys" which you may find of interest, they are not at all expensive and as these are all knitted per each order, they can make them longer for you and to your exact requirements, EG, making them with roll necks rather than round necks if you wish, I have one of their heavy ribbed round neck chunkies and another with aroll neck, I also have a Gansey they did for me with a roll neck too. The chap who runs it is very helpful and the garments are excellent.

woolding

New in Town
Thanks for information but I'll continue to look for a large WW2 jersey and let you know if I'm successful.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Do any of you gents by chance know of a supplier located in the U.S. for these?

I Don't know any by name, but I am sure that there are other members based in the U.S. who maybe able to help you, however I do recall, many years ago when taking a holiday for a fortnight in the USA, I was staying in Boston Mass., and was advised to take a day trip on the railway a few miles along the line to Salem which I did and when I was walking around, I saw and went into a surplus store and they did have a number of these sweaters for sale. I would imagine that many other towns and cities in the U.S. would also have similar surplus stores.

mariner

New in Town
Thanks for information but I'll continue to look for a large WW2 jersey and let you know if I'm successful.

Stevieboy1 is correct. They're a dark blue 'smock' style, long in the body, closed hem, a fine close knit, boat neck and have (mostly) short sleeves (keep out of machinery) and a 4in or so cuff. The 3 I have are keepers, one is an original South African Navy issue (like hen's teeth now as the Navy jumper has changed), a Turner and Jarvis and the more common post-war variant for Nato (not to be confused with the Nato ribbed version) and sized in centimeters - often in ca. 100cm sizing, but as they're form fitting like a breton are capable of fitting a large. It's the more common variant and I often see them on ebay uk, often for sale as a gansey or guernsey. There was one for sale as recently as last month, but I can't find it for you. HJope this helps.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Stevieboy1 is correct. They're a dark blue 'smock' style, long in the body, closed hem, a fine close knit, boat neck and have (mostly) short sleeves (keep out of machinery) and a 4in or so cuff. The 3 I have are keepers, one is an original South African Navy issue (like hen's teeth now as the Navy jumper has changed), a Turner and Jarvis and the more common post-war variant for Nato (not to be confused with the Nato ribbed version) and sized in centimeters - often in ca. 100cm sizing, but as they're form fitting like a breton are capable of fitting a large. It's the more common variant and I often see them on ebay uk, often for sale as a gansey or guernsey. There was one for sale as recently as last month, but I can't find it for you. HJope this helps.

How did your (very sensible) interest in military jumpers start? For me it began as a schoolboy interested in the Armed Forces. I got my first Army Woolly Pully aged 11 and my interest just grew from there.

mariner

New in Town
Not so sure about sensible. I have far to many now - not only military but the kind of vintage Nordic, UK and Hong Kong made (wool) jumpers everyone wore until lightweight fleeces pitched up... A friend came back from holiday here in his teens and had a blue Bridgedale woolly pully that was just about the warmest jumper I'd ever seen. Obviously he was reluctant to part with it, but lent it to me from time to time.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Not so sure about sensible. I have far to many now - not only military but the kind of vintage Nordic, UK and Hong Kong made (wool) jumpers everyone wore until lightweight fleeces pitched up... A friend came back from holiday here in his teens and had a blue Bridgedale woolly pully that was just about the warmest jumper I'd ever seen. Obviously he was reluctant to part with it, but lent it to me from time to time.
... And did that lead you to get one yourself?
I don't think you can have 'too many' jumpers of this type. I also have vintage Nordic jumpers as well as many Guernseys and submariners roll necks.
As far as woolly pullies are concerned, as I said my first one was aged 11 but I really got into them in my teenaged years and practically lived in them, alternating between Army, Navy and RAF. For example I used to don a WP after Rugger games at school for the match tea- there was little or no central heating. They kept me warm at university as well and I've been wearing them faithfully since. Other colours have come into my repertoire such as brown, grey and dark green.
At school I also had an Army WP for Corps with the school crest on it which I wore every Wednesday when we had CCF.
Although I had enough of my own WPs, I did sometimes as a teenager also borrow a Navy one from a friend's elder brother because I enjoyed the large fit and also to wind him up. ...

mariner

New in Town
First one I owned was a greenish-grey-orange marl Bridgedale WP I bought from a shooting shop in Putney, by that time they were deeply unfashionable in the age of the Berghaus fleece - not that I gave a hoot. Layered over a shetland polo neck in '70s, early 80s style. My school was of the 'cold showers and beatings will continue until morale improves' variety - even wearing the inadequate grey school V neck jumper was frowned upon by the masters, despite freezing nights and sometimes cold days. Some dormitory windows were open to the elements - never been so cold in my life. I did own two Devold Blaatroie polo necks in my late teens though - my mum gave most of my old jumpers and clothes away while I was travelling, including those, but have a few of them second hand since then.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
First one I owned was a greenish-grey-orange marl Bridgedale WP I bought from a shooting shop in Putney, by that time they were deeply unfashionable in the age of the Berghaus fleece - not that I gave a hoot. Layered over a shetland polo neck in '70s, early 80s style. My school was of the 'cold showers and beatings will continue until morale improves' variety - even wearing the inadequate grey school V neck jumper was frowned upon by the masters, despite freezing nights and sometimes cold days. Some dormitory windows were open to the elements - never been so cold in my life. I did own two Devold Blaatroie polo necks in my late teens though - my mum gave most of my old jumpers and clothes away while I was travelling, including those, but have a few of them second hand since then.

You sound like a late developer as far as the jumpers are concerned but happily you've made up for it and wool seems to be back in fashion anyway. We also had windows open in the dormitories (or windows that didn't close properly) but it wasn't as bad as your experience because we were able to wear woolly jumpers in bed (sounds like another era but it's only the 70s and early 80s). Also many of the masters wore woollies. Our school jumper was navy blue V-neck, quite thick wool. In the 6th form we could wear our own jumpers as long as they conformed to the school colours and so I often wore a Navy WP under a jacket. Or a Navy Guernsey when it was really cold. My 'addiction' to this type of jumper started then and so I blame my schooldays.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I was able to visit Silverman's a few years ago when we were in the UK and I actually talked to Mr. Silverman himself. His English is pretty good, too.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I embarrassed myself several times over by having to ask people to repeat themselves. But that wasn't necessary with him. But I'm not English, you see.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I embarrassed myself several times over by having to ask people to repeat themselves. But that wasn't necessary with him. But I'm not English, you see.

You certainly write excellent English.
In general, foreign-born residents of London - and indeed England as a whole - speak better and clearer English than the majority of English people: the current education system and political culture regard sloppy English as 'equal' and criticism of it as 'elitist'. This means that English people from disadvantaged backgrounds are increasingly trapped in ignorance because they are not given the linguistic or cultural tools to break free.

The Silvermans are an Orthodox Jewish family and that's why the business is open on Sunday but closed on Saturday. Mr Silverman is, I agree, an exceptionally nice man.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I did try on a "Jersey, heavy wool," but didn't buy one, although I did pick up a couple of other things. I have several other heavy sweaters that I make some use of during cold weather. There is a company called "Woolovers" that offer all kinds of sweaters and they have two or three models that are pretty close to an issue jersey. Some army regiments have "regimental" jerseys in other colors, probably only available from "regimental tailors."

Mr. Silverman and I talked about another dealer somewhere near Aldershot but I've forgotten the name.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I did try on a "Jersey, heavy wool," but didn't buy one, although I did pick up a couple of other things. I have several other heavy sweaters that I make some use of during cold weather. There is a company called "Woolovers" that offer all kinds of sweaters and they have two or three models that are pretty close to an issue jersey. Some army regiments have "regimental" jerseys in other colors, probably only available from "regimental tailors."

Mr. Silverman and I talked about another dealer somewhere near Aldershot but I've forgotten the name.
Aldershot would make sense because it's an Army town.
There's also Victoria Camping and Surplus - used to be near Victoria Station but now at The Cut, near Waterloo. Very nice chap there called Howard.
And of course Outdoor Knitwear (www.outdoorknitwear.com) which has been mentioned in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points