Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Having said that there was little chance of WPs until Fall, I have been able to wear a Navy Woolly Pully this morning because of a drop in temperature - still humid but no longer hot. July is the worst month here I think: either it's hot and sticky or its wet and sticky. Roll on crisp autumnal days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hal

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
http://www.outdoorknitwear.com/new-products

Outdoor Knitwear have launched two new products, essentially cardigan versions of the Woolly Pully design, with pockets but without the patches at the shoulders and elbows. They look interesting and I don't rule one out to add to my embarrassingly large number of WPs. However I still prefer the traditional military style.

mariner

New in Town
Agree with you about the traditional military style. To be frank, I doubt they'll sell well - look very fuddy-duddy to me and the pricing is too high for that market. The addition of Harris Tweed doesn't make them very desirable either.

mariner

New in Town
By fuddy duddy I mean boring and old fashioned - not hip or geeky. Having seen the Ghille version - it's not bad looking as the patches are functional.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
@mariner: I agree with your comments. For me these new products are a bit elderly-looking, twee (especially the touches of Celtic Kitsch) and not manly enough. The traditional military design is good enough for me and remains the bestseller.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
I like the standard issue U.S.A.F. OD Green wooly-pully best, (if it's still issued anymore). I remember mine as more of a dark brown. Wish I had it now even tho I'd never fit in it, lol.
I bought a civilian version at the local thrift the other day; has a more open weave to it if that makes sense. Sort of a style over function thing I guess. Until I get the "real deal" it'll have to do.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I like the standard issue U.S.A.F. OD Green wooly-pully best, (if it's still issued anymore). I remember mine as more of a dark brown. Wish I had it now even tho I'd never fit in it, lol.
I bought a civilian version at the local thrift the other day; has a more open weave to it if that makes sense. Sort of a style over function thing I guess. Until I get the "real deal" it'll have to do.

The 'real deal' has to be Outdoor Knitwear. www.outdoorknitwear.com

I speak as a very satisfied customer. They do, I know, ship their Woolly Pullies quickly to the US.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The Submariner looks great. Chicago is gently touched by Autumn these mornings. I can't wait to break out the sweater stock.
We've had a very mild summer this year. I don't know what that means for winter, but hey! Any time we can escape the heat and humidity is okay by me.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
We've had a very mild summer this year....

The Cubs are heating up.:D Bullpen locked and loaded, batting line fairly set. Schwabs is more poised at the plate. And all the good stuff outweighs the bad.:D
Saw the Bears game with the Cubs at the bar last nite. Trubis took a few snaps and handed off eight or nine times. I thought Fox wanted to see him play.o_O

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
We've had a very mild summer this year. I don't know what that means for winter, but hey! Any time we can escape the heat and humidity is okay by me.

I detest summer and all its works. ... When we get to September, I feel freer and lighter. I become outgoing again and more involved with friends, interests, hobbies. It is as if a weight has been lifted. I love the other three seasons of the year - it's just summer I can't 'get along with'.

And yes, as Harp has said, I can't wait to break out the sweater stock.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The radio weather report clinched my decision this morning to break out an Olive Drab wooly, worn beneath a trench coat.:)

Brilliant. I was able to wear a black WP yesterday evening and this morning - so autumn (or Fall as you call it) is coming. ...

Hal

Practically Family
The radio weather report clinched my decision this morning to break out an Olive Drab wooly, worn beneath a trench coat.:)
Trench coat over woolly pully - windproof/showerproof over insulating layer - glad it works for you as it is just the right combination for the current weather here. Any headgear?

niv

Familiar Face
I love them. I use them for hunting or just hiking in general. They're very comfortable and will keep you warm.
I've always thought of mine as a nicely fitted, very flexible coat. I've got four or five of 'em in different shades, from black, to navy, to olive, to sand, to "heather" (whatever that is!), and I cannot wait until fall/winter to break 'em out.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

... And it was my turn to break out an Olive drab Woolly Pully this morning, worn with a Barbour jacket and a tweed cap.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I've always thought of mine as a nicely fitted, very flexible coat. I've got four or five of 'em in different shades, from black, to navy, to olive, to sand, to "heather" (whatever that is!), and I cannot wait until fall/winter to break 'em out.

Welcome to this illustrious thread and it's good to meet an aficionado of the WP from the Lone Star State. I have all the colours on your list - and more besides.

Reactions: niv

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The recent grey, intermittently wet days with cool nights have been ideal for the Royal Navy Woolly Pully, which I have worn every day for the past 10 days or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points