Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Sonero

Practically Family
Word of caution about ordering from OKW. Their sizing changes from jumper to jumper. It was 50/50 for me, either being too big or would have been too small. I think the saleslady was right when she sized me up. However now I am having to shrink them down. Better to shrink down though than be too short.

A grey peat color with tan harris tweed patch.

Stunning. I wish you could feel how thick this wool is.

Photo on 1-3-18 at 1.44 PM #2.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Word of caution about ordering from OKW. Their sizing changes from jumper to jumper. It was 50/50 for me, either being too big or would have been too small. I think the saleslady was right when she sized me up. However now I am having to shrink them down. Better to shrink down though than be too short.

A grey peat color with tan harris tweed patch.

Stunning. I wish you could feel how thick this wool is.

View attachment 100675

Again that looks a lovely sweater. :) It is odd about sizing though, it seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and not just for pullovers, it can be the same with shirts and trousers for example too.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I hardly have any hair - at least not on my head. And I have what's left of my hair cut short by the nice Iraqi chap at the barber's shop.

Sonero

Practically Family

I ruined my brown one with suede patches by putting it in the dryer. The body was way too long so it had to shrink in order to wear it. The upside is OKW gave me two free jumpers to make up for an error on my order.

That being said I don't think I would order one with suede patches again. Too much room for issues due to the suede.

mariner

New in Town
Acquired a nice vintage brown Woolyback jumper with suede patches recently for peanuts. It was unworn, but suede doesn't give me any issues, just needs to be hand washed in woolite, or similar handwashing silk / wool liquid.

Have just seen this nice looking WWII type seamans smock jumper on ebay. I'd snap it up, but have a Hall & Son version and a South African Navy issue already. These are essentially work / utility jumpers, tight fitting long in the body and short in the arms (to keep sleeves out of machinery) and are few and far between, for obvious reasons... I sold one awhile back for almost £100 so it represents a good deal for someone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guernsey...608909?hash=item2f127c73cd:g:IwsAAOSwv-ZaTk2S

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I ruined my brown one with suede patches by putting it in the dryer. The body was way too long so it had to shrink in order to wear it. The upside is OKW gave me two free jumpers to make up for an error on my order.

That being said I don't think I would order one with suede patches again. Too much room for issues due to the suede.

As I think I've mentioned before, the Peat Brown WP with suede patches is much longer in body length than the standard Woolly Pully jumper (aka commando sweater). The intention is, apparently, to offer greater protection to sportsmen engaged in shooting, etc. In practical terms it means that at full-length this WP can cover your whole butt at the back and at the front cover your flies and go to the upper part o0f your legs - useful when it's so called you feel your balls are going to freeze!

Sonero

Practically Family
As I think I've mentioned before, the Peat Brown WP with suede patches is much longer in body length than the standard Woolly Pully jumper (aka commando sweater).

I noticed the Derby Tweed color I have with the suede patches was a little shorter in length perhaps. It would have been nice to know that before purchasing. I won't complain though.

My Channel Jumpers package arrived today but I haven't opened it yet. Waiting for afternoon tea to arrive before I do so. :)

Sonero

Practically Family
Tea time has come and gone and my package from Channeljumpers.com has been opened.
Wow, this is quality merchandise. Yet another "positive purchase" from my friends in the UK. Between my Chapman Bags, Sweaters , Field Coats, and Flat Caps I am becoming an honorary brit . :) All that is missing are some corduroy pants to go with the rest. Unfortunately I cannot wear them in California. They are way too formal for my area.

I will feature a sweater or two within the next few days.

Thanks to this thread for turning me onto them.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Tea time has come and gone and my package from Channeljumpers.com has been opened.
Wow, this is quality merchandise. Yet another "positive purchase" from my friends in the UK. Between my Chapman Bags, Sweaters , Field Coats, and Flat Caps I am becoming an honorary brit . :) All that is missing are some corduroy pants to go with the rest. Unfortunately I cannot wear them in California. They are way too formal for my area.

I will feature a sweater or two within the next few days.

Thanks to this thread for turning me onto them.

Yes - I have everything on your list! It's a shame about the corduroy trousers ('pants' to you in the States) as they would nicely complement your outfit.

I'm wearing my RAF Woolly Pully today and will wear the Derby Tweed tomorrow - with corduroy trousers! My Derby Tweed is the straightforward military Woolly Pully, with epaulettes and pen holder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana