Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
UK Woolly Pully
8f613c4550a97668fec7f68cb52c48cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
UK Woolly Pully

I've had a few v-necks over the years and still have the Navy one (am thinking of getting the Army version) but my (vast) collection is almost entirely crew necks. The buttons on your epps suggest that the sweater is quite a few years old. Is it Navy or Air Force blue? It's quite hard to see from the light.

Also, I have to say I am curious about the ring, which I presume is Turquoise?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
UK Woolly Pully

Looking at it again I think it's Air Force blue: I have three WPs in that colour, one with epps and pen holder, one just standard with patches on the elbows and shoulders, one without patches (which I asked Outdoor Knitwear to make specially for me!).

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
Nice to know, as I bought the sweater second hand, so I don't about its origin. However, it appeared to be new and unworn, so I lucked out. They surely keep one toasty on cold days, huh? You guessed right, it's a silver/turquoise ring. It was handmade by Mr. Delbert Gordon, Navajo Silversmith. Here's another pic of the ring:
2999b8c10f5c2e6868077fe40daf0108.jpg

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Nice to know, as I bought the sweater second hand, so I don't about its origin. However, it appeared to be new and unworn, so I lucked out. They surely keep one toasty on cold days, huh? You guessed right, it's a silver/turquoise ring. It was handmade by Mr. Delbert Gordon, Navajo Silversmith. Here's another pic of the ring:
2999b8c10f5c2e6868077fe40daf0108.jpg

Delbert Gordon? That sounds so like a Caribbean name and yet he's a Navajo. I like the other ring very much as well. I'll look up Mr Delbert (great name for a Calypso singer).

Getting back to the Woolly Pully, what I really meant to ask is whether it is dark blue or light blue/blue grey?

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
Delbert Gordon? That sounds so like a Caribbean name and yet he's a Navajo. I like the other ring very much as well. I'll look up Mr Delbert (great name for a Calypso singer).

Getting back to the Woolly Pully, what I really meant to ask is whether it is dark blue or light blue/blue grey?
It's more of a blue-grey.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
It's more of a blue-grey.

Blue-grey is Air Force. You're making me tempted to get it in v-neck, which will mean I have 4 WPs in that colour!

Mr Delbert is famous! I've just joined his mailing list. He comes from Arizona but he's now based in New Mexico.

Re. the Caribbean link: I was probably thinking of Dexter Gordon, also known as Long Tall Dexter - although he was not Caribbean but born in LA. But Dexter, abbreviated to Dex, is a frequent name here in London among men of Afro-Caribbean heritage, as is Delroy, often shortened to Del.

But that's a digression from Woolly Pullies!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Wow! Pretty interesting. Delbert makes stunning pieces. Ya, I lucked out with this weighty all-wool woolly pully.

I warn you - they are addictive and I say this after decades of wearing them and having a ridiculous number, all of which I enjoy: they keep me warm, I like the military associations very much and I love the ribbed wool, patches and turn-back cuffs..

Last edited:
Recently, I picked up an unworn Shetland wool cable-knit sweater (handloomed in Scotland). It's thick as heck!

I'm confused, it's a Shetland, hmm, wool, I'm kinda getting it, cable-knit, those are the swirling design thingies, right? You know what would help - a picture. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk