Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Milan {modern}

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It is nice to have a friend with blocks!

My milan ...before and after reblocking and a reflange.

reblock.jpg

and a shot of it on. My favorite summer fedora.

strawstrat.jpg

Love that hat BEFORE! Love it more AFTER!!!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I have the Panama Open Road that I reshaped from cattleman to c-crown. I believe it's essentially the same? Right Bob? If you like a black ribbon over the brown, Delmonico has their own version (the Stockman) with the black ribbon. So this can be reshaped to your liking.

304f6c2c4c0c9efcd18c511380806d9d.jpg

11092de84e79c62174a757c257a0cf91.jpg

Delmonico Stockman

09475f3e6c4085fbe94a8ef000a77fe3.jpg

Dont kno abt the Delmonico Stockman but I believe it's essentially the same hat as your Panama Open Road.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I can only find the one that is not crushable at one place online

I may order it right now... waiting on a review Bob :)

leather sweat ?
specs?
size true ?

Sent u a PM. Got mine in less than 2 weeks. Fit was true to size but I asked for a little big to allow for some shrinking...

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The Stetson 48? Is that what you found? Delmonico Hatters has both the 47 and the 48. They look to be the same style hat. The difference is that 47 is foldable and less expensive. I would imagine that the specs would be the same for both. The crown height is 4 1/4 and the brim is 2 1/2.

Mr "T" Lol! The o'riginal '47 is 4.5 at the low point front of crown. 5in at high point of crown side and 4 inch rear crown. My brim varies somewhere a little over 2.5 at sides to almost 2.75 front n rear.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
After seeing what Bob R and Nyah got from Peters Bros I'm more inclined on getting one custom made rather than buying a straw off the shelf. The prices at Peters Bros are affordable and you get the specs you want. Bob got an awesome looking Milan from them. Nyah got what looks to be a Strat straw clone that sports some vintage looking specs.

These are 2 very different hats TJ. Stetson is a Grade 8 Panama. Lighter, softer, smoother. Teardrop. Thin ribbon. Different flange and brim curl. You get what they give you... I've only seen it for abt $165. The PB Milan Hemp is heavier, coarser, stiffer but you get whatever you want.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
These are 2 very different hats TJ. Stetson is a Grade 8 Panama. Lighter, softer, smoother. Teardrop. Thin ribbon. Different flange and brim curl. You get what they give you... I've only seen it for abt $165. The PB Milan Hemp is heavier, coarser, stiffer but you get whatever you want.

To be honest, I would take your PB custom Milan over anything I've seen in this thread, (and that's not meant to offend anyone). That is one awesome looking hat. But yeah, with off the shelf Panamas you're limited to what they offer. With Panamas, there's no standardized method of grading them. Basically, panama grades are left to the whims of each manufacturer. What Stetson may call a Grade 8, Scala or Cappas may call it something else, i.e. Better Panamas have tighter and more weaves per square inch, among other factors. That's why I'm not too impressed with today's off the shelf stuff. Custom, IMO, is the way to go, even if it is Milan Hemp. At least you get a hat that's made to your specs.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Dont kno abt the Delmonico Stockman but I believe it's essentially the same hat as your Panama Open Road.

I have both, they are essentially the same. DelMonico's has black ribbon, the Stetson is little finer, softer. I'm inclined to want to reshape the crowns. I also have the 47 folder, I don't wear it, not what I expected, thankfully it was inexpensive.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
To be honest, I would take your PB custom Milan over anything I've seen in this thread, (and that's not meant to offend anyone). That is one awesome looking hat. But yeah, with off the shelf Panamas you're limited to what they offer. With Panamas, there's no standardized method of grading them. Basically, panama grades are left to the whims of each manufacturer. What Stetson may call a Grade 8, Scala or Cappas may call it something else, i.e. Better Panamas have tighter and more weaves per square inch, among other factors. That's why I'm not too impressed with today's off the shelf stuff. Custom, IMO, is the way to go, even if it is Milan Hemp. At least you get a hat that's made to your specs.

TY! TJ. It's even bigger then it looks! Lol.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
DF1E4E92-44F0-4E08-A046-3DC6407DD1E7.jpeg

Today I sent two of my Modern Milan Stratoliner’s back. I ordered a 7 5/8 because I’m at the upper measurement of a 7 1/2. When it arrived I was generally pleased but it just two big. So I ordered a 7 1/2 and when it arrived again I was generally pleased but it was also to big. I’m not sure, maybe it’s the crown height not letting it sit low enough on my head for a good fit. I wanted to keep it because I like Stetson and the general shape of the Milan Stratoliner but I just couldn’t do it. Besides the size issues for me was the brim. With it snapped down it had a wave on each side of the brim that I just didn’t like.

I’m still liking the look of the modern felt Stratoliners so that might be the route I’ll end up taking.

Steven

View attachment 110280
Today I sent two of my Modern Milan Stratoliner’s back. I ordered a 7 5/8 because I’m at the upper measurement of a 7 1/2. When it arrived I was generally pleased but it just two big. So I ordered a 7 1/2 and when it arrived again I was generally pleased but it was also to big. I’m not sure, maybe it’s the crown height not letting it sit low enough on my head for a good fit. I wanted to keep it because I like Stetson and the general shape of the Milan Stratoliner but I just couldn’t do it. Besides the size issues for me was the brim. With it snapped down it had a wave on each side of the brim that I just didn’t like.

I’m still liking the look of the modern felt Stratoliners so that might be the route I’ll end up taking.

Steven

Give Peters Brothers in Ft. Worth a call and talk hemp hats with them. Worth looking into.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I'd call if you are really interested.I have several of their hats including 2 hemps.Talk to Brad Peters because last we knew his really skilled hatter had moved.

Do you have any pictures of your two hemp Peters Brothers hats? What specs and colors do you have?

Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112