Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Milan {modern}

DougC

Practically Family
Let's hope so! I almost got a look at the Milan Strat yesterday at Paris Hatters--lots of boxes came in, but not the Milan Strat--very disappointing!

Landman

One Too Many
I know this is off topic but Stetson has a panama open road but I can't find anyone selling it online.
products861_big1.jpg

I recently purchased one of these from Meyer The Hatter and received it yesterday. It is a very nice hat and of much better quality than the Shantung Open Road. The brim snapped down and stayed in place without any steaming needed. My Shantung Open Road required steaming and doesn't look near as good. The Shantung has too much shellac or whatever they use to stiffen it. The Panama Open Road is softer and more natural feeling.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I recently purchased one of these from Meyer The Hatter and received it yesterday. It is a very nice hat and of much better quality than the Shantung Open Road. The brim snapped down and stayed in place without any steaming needed. My Shantung Open Road required steaming and doesn't look near as good. The Shantung has too much shellac or whatever they use to stiffen it. The Panama Open Road is softer and more natural feeling.

Thats my impression. I like the looks with the brim snapped down.

Landman

One Too Many
So yours has a light brown ribbon? Those on the Meyer's site look black to me.

Yes, it is brown and looks just like the one in the picture except it also had a little brown cloth tag that had Stetson on it just below the bow. I didn't like it so I just removed it. It was lightly glued on. Sorry I don't have a camera handy or I would take some pictures.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Not the "Strat"Stetson Milan, but a Stetson Milan just the same, I am about willing to bet the "Strat" hat is exactly the same hat, same material, with a thin ribbon, edge bound. Not to say it is not a nice hat, I am very happy with this Milan, I am sure for this upcoming summer, it will be used much!

jbucklin

Practically Family
A friend/student of mine whose house I go to a couple of days a week just got his Milan Strat a couple of days ago. I showed it to him at Menshats.com. last week and he ordered one immediately. I ordered one from Men's Hats yesterday. I just arrived at his house and have seen the hat in person now. I do not regret buying one!

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
Okay Ed. First, here are some pics of my friend who I call Wah-Wah with the Milan Strat on his noggin:
downsized_0315021251.jpg

downsized_0315021252.jpg

downsized_0315021256.jpg

And now for a mini-review. Feels and looks very much like my Stetson Whitehall I bought from the Hatco Outlet about a year ago (which is Shantung with several coats of shellac) making it a bit heavier than it looks like it might be from looking at the photo at Menshats.com. So even though it does have a somewhat heavy, plasticky feel, it is quite comfortable (Wah-Wah and I have the same hat-size). But probably not a suitable lid for extremely hot summer days. It looks great in person and my cellphone pics don't really do it justice at all.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Just catching up on this thread. The Milan Strat looks pretty good, as I favor a 2-1/4" brim. I'm not really wrapped up in the historical accuracy imperative, however. The gray is quite reminiscent of my Akubra Capricorn. I called Bencraft and they're not sure whether they will stock it. I asked how it compares to the Whitehall, and he said they're pretty different. He did say that Stetson Milan straw is synthetic, but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, as I like my poly straw Capricorn, its cool and bulletproof.

So, JBucklin, do you think your Whitehall is actually synthetic? Did the Strat seem like synthetic Milan?

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Got mine today.

Inside:

milanstrat1.jpg

Outside:

milanstrat2.jpg

You might be able to tell by the tag that it's a 2-1/2" brim. Nice sweatband, softish, thickish. Crown 4" front and back, a bit higher on the sides. Ribbon placement could have been better but not a dealbreaker and not worth sending out to be moved.

I looked at the braid through a loupe and there's no way this is anything but a synthetic material, which means "you can get rained on" in my book.

Overall a decent deal for $85 plus shipping.

Tom

carldelo

One Too Many
Woof - that looks nice, I think I'm sold even with a 2-1/2" brim. But where's the little airplane?
BTW, for those interested I found a coupon code for free US ground shipping from menshats.com - it's "AdRoll1".
(I hope that doesn't bug you too much Tom - I hate hearing about deals after the fact...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto