Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Products with Vintage Style Packaging

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Cafe Du Monde's Chicory and Coffee blend
G2Cz.jpg

And any of the James & Fralinger's confections
139.jpg

50.jpg

Paper Mache barrel which doubles as a miniature bank
87.jpg

Their Peanut Butter chews are out of this world, for anyone who's interested.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
bonami.jpg

Saw this at Target the other week.
Seems like a lot of companies are 'vintaging' their products. I wonder what the surge in retro is about.

LD

Facepiehole

New in Town
I keep buying these candy cigarettes at Urban Outfitters and thrift shops. Tried to light them one time in a friends car, haha, they smell like doughnuts and they taste really good toasty. Appearently there's an old brand of cigs called Victory, but the packaging is all different. Still's cool tho:

Candy cigarette package:
victory_candy_sm.png

Victory cigarettes:
5272827652_149612e457.jpg

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Mrs Stewart's blueing has been a family laundry staple for a couple of generations

I wore white white dress shirts for 25 years and my father before me for 30 plus years and Mrs Stewart's blueing gave all those white shirts a clean renewed white color when needed. What a great product. It works as advertised and has been unchanged for years. (At least as far as I know.)

Schlitz is back, retro, and you'd better believe I'm drinking it. They've got a retro campaign and advertise using the '60's formula'

schlitz.jpg

Pabst Blue Ribbon went to the 'ribbon' label we're all familiar with in 1954 and added the red stripe in 1958 to commemorate their 100 millionth barrel brewed.
1954 vs. 1958
260749882536.jpg

Today's can.
PBR.jpg

I think with the tough times, people are looking back on the old days a bit more fondly.

bonami.jpg

Saw this at Target the other week.
Seems like a lot of companies are 'vintaging' their products. I wonder what the surge in retro is about.

LD

Last edited:

zombi

A-List Customer
The Boots "traditional skin care" stuff -- skin tonic, cold cream, vanishing cream, etc -- have retro packaging. I love the cold cream. It's quite expensive here in the States though!

We use and like the Mrs Meyer's stuff in my house, too. Have used that JR Watkins soap before as well.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
The Boots "traditional skin care" stuff -- skin tonic, cold cream, vanishing cream, etc -- have retro packaging. I love the cold cream. It's quite expensive here in the States though!

That just shows you - the Boots traditional range is as cheap-as-chips over here, although I haven't seen much of it around lately.

appy

Familiar Face
This thread has me thinking :)

I had to go to a 1st birthday party for a friend's little boy, and not being sure what baby's like, I did find something I figured he'd like and I knew his vintage loving parents would appreciate.

N6000_d_1.jpg

Of course, back 50 years ago you got WAY more pieces ;)

N6000_d_4.jpg

The Fisher-Price folks are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Little People line by re-issuing some sets of toys. We picked up the Farm set and it's adorable (and affordable!)

Just as an aside, he also got a pair of tiny little black and white Converse hi-tops to wear. Those were ADORABLE!

Aw, I had the older version! *has flashback* I think I might've inherited it from my mother...

hubbit

New in Town
The other side of the coin, which is a bit saddening, are the vintage brand names of yesteryear - perhaps still sold in nostalgic packaging - whose actual formulas and ingredients are nothing like what they were when they were advertised and sold decades ago.

Off the top of my head I can think of Ovaltine, as sold in the USA, which despite its retro-cool logo is nothing that Radio Orphan Annie would ever recognize. For that, you have to get the English version made in Switzerland, which while not identical is extremely close - right down to being unsweetened.

Various English brands of tea are sold, with slogans recalling how one grandparent or another always had a kettle of it going. Well, perhaps they did, but they were drinking the larger, fuller orthodox leaf tea - not todays crushed, torn, and curled pellets.

I actually called Procter & Gamble in the early 90s when they changed Ivory Snow from a powdered form of Ivory soap to a modern detergent. My complaints were no good against their market research, consumer acceptance, and Progress.

Last edited:
hubbit said:
Off the top of my head I can think of Ovaltine, as sold in the USA, which despite its retro-cool logo is nothing that Radio Orphan Annie would ever recognize. For that, you have to get the English version made in Switzerland, which while not identical is extremely close - right down to being unsweetened.

Maybe this is just me but I never liked Ovaltine. I thought it was simply awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points