Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Depressing movies you've seen?

I absolutely agree with you. I laughed the whole way through, then, when it was over, I had a rather depressing realization that, all things going how they are, the future depicted isn't exactly too far-fetched! Great film though. "It's got what plants crave!"

That is exactly how I felt at the end. I remember the Education secretary and look at my local public school and think......:eusa_doh:
Then again, it is sort of why many of us are here in the long run. Vintage gives us a history, a past that we can understand---a cohesive culture so to speak---and move forward with. It is those of the disposable generation that we cannot understand---not to mention the Clevons of society that we see all too often. :eusa_doh::rolleyes:

TM

A-List Customer
"On The Beach" - late 1950's end of the world by nuclear war, set in Australia.

on-the-beach-1959-movie-title-small.jpg

Tony

scooter

Practically Family
Oh yeah, I agree with "About Schmidt", man, what a bummer that was. I know it's a touch off target, but the book "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" will darn near bring tears to your eyes. Magnificent story with terrific writing, but wowza, what a drag!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Eraserhead must be at the top of my list.

Eraserhead is my favourite film. i see it more as nightmarish than depressing.

My vote is up for Kids. Went to see it with a couple of friends. Some of them left in the middle of the film.

i don't think i could sit through Kids either. i can only remember bits of the beginning. i either switched it off, or have blanked the rest out as it was so bleak.

my vote is for Stroszek by Werner Herzog as most depressing.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Gallipoli, specifically the ending.

I'm not sure it's depressing, but it certainly depicts the Australian experience of WW1. I think Gallipoli is Peter Weir's best movie.

Lee, I'm not sure if you're aware of Ataturk's quote about the Australians and New Zealanders that fought at Gallipoli, it's incredibly moving.

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives....You are now living in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours…You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Atonement. Good grief. I was depresessed for days...

Cold Mountain. The ending...seriously? He goes through all of that and then...(spoiler alert) dies?

Although I love The Notebook, I can only watch it once every few years. Depressing at the end.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Little Shop of Horrors and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Both took beautiful source material and ruined it with a butchered Hollywood ending.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
"On The Beach" - late 1950's end of the world by nuclear war, set in Australia.

on-the-beach-1959-movie-title-small.jpg

Tony

That reminds me of a made-for-TV movie called The Day After which was about the aftermath of a nuclear attack on America. That movie had a profound effect on almost everyone I knew who saw it.

filfoster

One Too Many
Atonement. Good grief. I was depresessed for days...

Cold Mountain. The ending...seriously? He goes through all of that and then...(spoiler alert) dies?

Although I love The Notebook, I can only watch it once every few years. Depressing at the end.

Civil War buffs can enjoy the "Cold Mountain" Petersburg battlefield scenes, that are pretty well done. I agree the story is bleak enough to chill the fun out of any viewing occasion.

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Both already mentioned. Both excellent films but very, very somber.

Gallipoli: best film I've ever seen to illustrate the waste that is war.

Stalingrad: chilling, in more ways than one and another illustration of the waste of life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21