• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Most depressing song you know?

Discussion in 'Radio' started by Flicka, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Flicka

Flicka One Too Many

Since we have a 'depressing movie'-thread and I'm derailing that with talk of music, I thought we should have a thread for depressing songs as well. I'll go first.

The most depressing song I know is Simon & Garfunkel's A Most Peculiar Man. It's heart-stoppingly dreadful.

As a child, I thought Puff the Magic Dragon was really sad too and started crying when I heard it. My family thought this was highly amusing and used to sing it to me in order to make me cry. I wonder if I could sue them for cruelty or something?
  2. "Gloomy Sunday." An improbable 1936 hit otherwise known as the "Suicide Song." They don't come much more depressing than that.
  3. I strongly agree with LizzieMaine. "Gloomy Sunday" was the first song that I thought of, as well. It's popular nickname was "The Hungarian Suicide Song".
  4. The only way it could be more depressing is if "Strange Fruit" was on the other side of the record.
  5. And both performed by the same artist (which, I believe, they were: Billie Holiday).
  6. Kirk H.

Kirk H. Practically Family

If Sidewalks Talked by John Kilzer. It deals with the murder of John Lennon.
  7. This one...?

8. Bobby Goldsboro -- Honey
    My Dad had the record so I heard this song all the time in the house when I was growing up lol

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  9. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

10. And if only you could see the evil gleam as I post this one. This maudlin melody was very popular when I was in elementary school.

Terry Jacks -- Seasons In The Sun (1974)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  11. Flicka

Flicka One Too Many

Just to prove that I win:

I made the mistake of listening to it before posting and now I'm all depressed... :eeek:
  12. Kirk H.

Reminds me of work lol. I see he is not wearing the matching silver bracelets either.
  13. Kirk H.

You win...now please step away from the ledge. That is depressing....
  14. It has to be something by Lucinda Williams . . .
  15. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

I would have said just about anything by The Smiths.
  16. "Sympathy for the Devil" by The Rolling Stones. Come to think of it, most anything by them. :(
  17. Edward

Edward Bartender

Tammy Wynette - "Sometimes it's hard to be a woman". A domestic abuser's charter.
  18. This AND Cat's In the Cradle. Terry Jacks is a Canadian, and on behalf of all Canadians I'd like to apologise for this. And for Celine Dion. And Monty Hall. And for Nickleback. But NOT for William Shatner. He rocks....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  19. Of course Seasons In The Sun was an English adaptation of:

Jacques Brel -- Le Moribond (1961)

20. She would flip her lid if she heard you say that. That was more of a Men are Dogs song than a abuser's song. That was definitely not a page from her life. She was SUPER indepent. This was all hashed out in the public sphere when Hilary Clinton said she was no Tammy Wynette. Check it out online. Tammy hit the ceiling. :p