Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most versatile Aero jacket? What do you think?

GW KY

Practically Family
Highwayman, dark seal vicenza is ultimate leather jacket for me. Comfort, versatile, classic look
aero.jpg

Edward

Bartender
It you guys have pics or links of any of these jackets dresses up with slacks and nice collared shirts, please post em! : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachment is a Cordovan Aero Bootlegger, in Horween CXL FQHH. Modified to include two inner pockets (I'd probably only ask for one nowadays, as two s really overkill with the superbly useful chest pocket), G1 style throat latch (under collar), and 30s HB style cuffs. Otherwise standard.

Attachments

• 250721_10150831101222260_1352761461_n.jpg
    250721_10150831101222260_1352761461_n.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,899

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
Alright, now that I've got a few pages of others unsullied and raw opinions, I'll chime in with some thoughts and personal notes, which might alter or narrow your opinions.
Bold is just for ease of reading for those who are skimming; it isn't my "rude & yelling" font.

1. MUST HAVES: I think that MUST haves for me are HANDWARMER POCKETS, and a "REAL" COLLAR that is bigger than a cafe racer collar but smaller than say the Rockafella (I do like the Bootlegger and Moonshiner a lot, but just don't know if they'd work for me -- really wish there were more fit pics of the Moonshiner).

2. I'm a very SHORT person and somewhat stocky, only 5'4" with 23" jacket sleeves, (wear a 41 Short in a suit, 16 1/2" neck x 31/32" sleeve in a dress shirt) so that might also limit me in regard to certain styles (for instance it would probably be better to choose the Half Belt Deluxe over the Long Half Belt, right?) I think I would have a jacket with a 23" back length, also, which would hang down right between my belt and back pockets... So something like a pit to pit 21/22", shoulder width 18/19", 23" sleeves, 23" back length.

3. I'm 41, and mostly wear slacks/suit pants with either polos or button up shirts... BUSINESS CASUAL, I guess you'd say, but I also mix that with boots and broadbrim hats.

4. I live in the SOUTH, so it's a warmer/temperate climate most of the time, so I don't need a super warm jacket often. Currently in North Carolina where it is somewhat cool in the winter, but might be moving to Georgia in the not-too-distant future...

GW KY

Practically Family
Alright, now that I've got a few pages of others unsullied and raw opinions, I'll chime in with some thoughts and personal notes, which might alter or narrow your opinions.
Bold is just for ease of reading for those who are skimming; it isn't my "rude & yelling" font.

1. MUST HAVES: I think that MUST haves for me are HANDWARMER POCKETS, and a "REAL" COLLAR that is bigger than a cafe racer collar but smaller than say the Rockafella (I do like the Bootlegger and Moonshiner a lot, but just don't know if they'd work for me -- really wish there were more fit pics of the Moonshiner).

2. I'm a very SHORT person and somewhat stocky, only 5'4" with 23" jacket sleeves, (wear a 41 Short in a suit, 16 1/2" neck x 31/32" sleeve in a dress shirt) so that might also limit me in regard to certain styles (for instance it would probably be better to choose the Half Belt Deluxe over the Long Half Belt, right?) I think I would have a jacket with a 23" back length, also, which would hang down right between my belt and back pockets... So something like a pit to pit 21/22", shoulder width 18/19", 23" sleeves, 23" back length.

3. I'm 41, and mostly wear slacks/suit pants with either polos or button up shirts... BUSINESS CASUAL, I guess you'd say, but I also mix that with boots and broadbrim hats.

4. I live in the SOUTH, so it's a warmer/temperate climate most of the time, so I don't need a super warm jacket often. Currently in North Carolina where it is somewhat cool in the winter, but might be moving to Georgia in the not-too-distant future...
I stand by highwayman, vicenza, cotton lining, good for your build, dress code, and temp in south.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Yup, I stand by mine too, but realistically, the wait is not what most people will be able to tolerate. Hell, if I were to get a jacket today, it would likely be Thedi or Aero due to wait times...

I'd do the wait as I'm actually able to just forget about it until I get the email saying it's time. I've given thought to getting back in line, but I don't really see any other GW I really want/need. I have a GW Imperial, so another half belt makes no sense. I have a RM Buco J-100, so a GW California Racer makes no sense. Not an A-2 guy, so that kind of keeps me out of the queue. I do like the GW Arcadia quite a bit, but how many half-belts does a person need? I do like quite a few of the Thedi jackets. Great designs and great hides. He provides something different.

Sticking to my guns. LHB in brown FQHH.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
I'd do the wait as I'm actually able to just forget about it until I get the email saying it's time. I've given thought to getting back in line, but I don't really see any other GW I really want/need. I have a GW Imperial, so another half belt makes no sense. I have a RM Buco J-100, so a GW California Racer makes no sense. Not an A-2 guy, so that kind of keeps me out of the queue. I do like the GW Arcadia quite a bit, but how many half-belts does a person need? I do like quite a few of the Thedi jackets. Great designs and great hides. He provides something different.

Sticking to my guns. LHB in brown FQHH.

What's the advantage of the LHB over the HBD? They have different action backs, but other than that they seem nearly identical... And, say, do you use the cargo pockets much? I do like the combo pockets on these... sort of a mix of a half belt with an Indy jacket...

Harris HTM

One Too Many
What's the advantage of the LHB over the HBD? They have different action backs, but other than that they seem nearly identical... And, say, do you use the cargo pockets much? I do like the combo pockets on these... sort of a mix of a half belt with an Indy jacket...

I own a LHB (actually I've been wearing it today and just got it off) and I always use the cargo pockets - wallet and cell.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab

Can't say I know much about the HBD, but it does seem to be a bit shorter. I use the hand pockets in my LHB constantly, but have never used the cargo-type pockets. I have a G-1 style inner pocket that holds my phone and I don't carry much stuff on me. There are many who don't care for the combo-pockets at all. When I first found The Fedora Lounge and started researching Aero, I was instantly drawn to the LHB - not sure exactly why. I was lucky enough to find a barely used version on eBay.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I just posted my vintage LHB in the classifieds if anyone wants a great jacket. :cool:

Looks great! I've seen several of these the past few years and it is always tempting with the great patina- then I tell myself that I need to wear my own LHB and develop my own patina!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Given your dimensions, perhaps an A2 or Happy Days, in the bomber style, might be more fitting for you? Just my $.02?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

This may take a bit more consideration. If you're 5'4" I believe you need to pay particular attention to the cut of your jacket. A style emphasizing vertical lines is best. A longer cut jacket will look better as it draws the eye to the the vertical. A short, boxy Highwayman is likely to emphasize your height and build.
Given your climate perhaps go with a lighter horse or goatskin. Even then they are pretty thick. In this climate I won't wear any hide thicker than 2.5 oz and even that is too bulky much of the time.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After owning way too many Aeros’ the most versatile jacket I have owned is the Sheene.

Simple design with a shirt collar makes it look great with slacks and a shirt but somehow the moto base design allows you to also wear it with jeans and a t shirt. Simply put it can be dressed up or down better than any other jacket I’ve owned.

I’d go a brown for versatility, if you only want 1 jacket I think the dark seal is a fantastic colour that sits really well between brown and black, VERY versatile.

I’ll trawl through my photos and try and dig up a picture or two.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
After owning way too many Aeros’ the most versatile jacket I have owned is the Sheene.

Simple design with a shirt collar makes it look great with slacks and a shirt but somehow the moto base design allows you to also wear it with jeans and a t shirt. Simply put it can be dressed up or down better than any other jacket I’ve owned.

I’d go a brown for versatility, if you only want 1 jacket I think the dark seal is a fantastic colour that sits really well between brown and black, VERY versatile.

I’ll trawl through my photos and try and dig up a picture or two.

Yeah i want brown. I like the brown cxl horse, but also like the goat in seal, and you’re right i think it could work with brown or black... just gotta figure out the model I’ll end up liking best. I like the hbd and hwm and others like that, but think a seal goat moonshiner with belted cuffs would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So just a thought from experance I've had with *too many* jackets from the past. Goatskin as a hide is very supple, durable and really does not require a break-in period. It's very popular as a pilot's jacket (current and past) and for great reasons: Functional, durable and very well suited to frequent use.

That said, it's also a little lacking when it comes to "character" meaning that even with years of use, it will show a lot less "break-in" or grain/pattern development in the leather itself. Now, if you want a jacket to stay newer-looking, or just really do not care about that aspect, Goatskin may be an excellent choice. And it Does show patina/wear however it's not nearly as noticeable as say a CXL-FQHH which is tanned to show wear-in at nearly an accelerated rate.

I have a goatskin LL Bean A2 jacket from the early 90's that will be posted up for sale this weekend in the classifieds. As photos will show, there's very little leather grain, certainly very little bunching of the sleeves, etc with this material.

That said, it's also a little lacking when it comes to "character" meaning that even with years of use, it will show a lot less "break-in" or grain/pattern development in the leather itself. Now, if you want a jacket to stay newer-looking, or just really do not care about that aspect, Goatskin may be an excellent choice. And it Does show patina/wear however it's not nearly as noticeable as say a CXL-FQHH which is tanned to show wear-in at nearly an accelerated rate.
In other words, the love you take is equal to the love you make. Substitute thrashing for love and yes, HH and Steer are worth the effort in the end...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21