Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Another one who I thought looked good in a fedora was Gary Cooper, and he wore them in a laid back casual way. The Westerns looked good on him too...

Meet John Doe, 1941
Gary_Cooper.jpg

Gary_Cooper_2.jpg

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
He was drinking tequila Cuervo Blanco..straight... mmmm my role model too !!! [emoji23]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

When I met him he was wearing a Cowboy hat, had on a t-shirt and jeans, and was drinking Whiskey out of a glass the same size as the one in your photo. These were "Shot glasses" to him. A moment where I wished I had a cell phone camera (this was the early 1980's).

Hats Matter

One of the Regulars
This is a long thread and I confess to not having read every entry. The title being "Movie Hats that Inspired You", I would contribute the following as inspirational to me:

1. The hats worn by Johnny Depp and other in "Public Enemies" particularly the ox blood fedoras. I have 2 ox blood fedoras because I like the look.

2. Just about any hat worn by William Powell in the 1930s particularly "The Thin Man" series.

3. The fedoras worn by Jack Nicholson in "Chinatown".

4. The Panama Hat worn by Sidney Greenstreet in "Casablanca".

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
McMasters.jpg

As a Life SASS member (#4105), I'm a HUGE "Tombstone" fan. I've been blessed to be acquainted with Buck Taylor and Peter Sherayko. I've even got the opportunity to work for Peter on season one of the HBO series "Deadwood." Having seeing the Sherman McMasters character, wearing his awesome hat in the movie "Tombstone", I was inspired by the one he wore in the movie. I may go back and do the bound edge later, but for now, this is what I built.

This is a long thread and I confess to not having read every entry. The title being "Movie Hats that Inspired You", I would contribute the following as inspirational to me:
2. Just about any hat worn by William Powell in the 1930s particularly "The Thin Man" .

4. The Panama Hat worn by Sidney Greenstreet in "Casablanca".
PLUS 1......Heck yes!!
M

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
Old black and whites with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Spencer Tracy or Fred McMurry. Their characters always snagged ladies like Katherine and Audrey Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor.
Steve Martin in “L.A. Story” and “Roxanne”. Jack Nicholson in the Chinatown sequel, “The Two Jakes”. And of course, Indiana Jones.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Big Jurassic Park fan myself, so of course the movies have influenced the hats in my collection...

The Panama that Sam Neill wears in the first movie inspired my own panama:
m9Z6J2k.jpg

X2GzDA7.jpg

And the customized Willis and Geiger safari hat that Pete Postlethwaite wears in the sequel helped inspire my customized Akubra Leisure time:
tZFuNoe.jpg

rtViscq.jpg

One of the Regulars
b32d03c5b50320af1c40ca17d2e92cdd.jpg

Movie hats that inspired me to buy? First and foremost, Angel Eyes hat from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. First hat I ever bought was a black Stetson Gunfighter with a 3.25 in flat brim and a low telescope crown at Riley and McCormick's in Cowtown. They had a table full on sale for ten bucks a pop. Unfortunately I got one a size too small and didn't get much use out of it. Still have it though, and have had a new headband of the proper size put in.
After that, Indiana Jones and Crocodile Dundee.

Last edited:
And now for something completely different. When I saw Zombieland back in 2009, I immediately liked the hat worn by Woody Harrelson:

7Rm8h4K.jpg

Not so much the brim shape, but the hat itself. Apparently I wasn't the only one, because it was easy to find out the hat was made by a company called Real Deal Brazil and that sales had increased dramatically after the movie was released. Their hats (and subsequently other products) are made from recycled cotton canvas truck tarps discarded by Brazilian trucking companies, so their rough and weathered appearance is completely natural and makes each hat somewhat unique. I liked the concept as much as I liked the hat, so I ordered one.

aJZ3EG3.jpg

Wire in the brim, also recycled from old truck tires, helps to hold the brim shape (such as it is). I do wish the crown was a little taller (my head barely fits), but it's a very comfortable hat that doesn't get too warm during summer months and does an excellent job of keeping the rain off of my head during the autumn and winter months. I haven't worn it much since I started wearing fur felt hats, but dragging it out for these photos rekindled my affection for it so that will probably change as the days pass and summer approaches.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And now for something completely different. When I saw Zombieland back in 2009, I immediately liked the hat worn by Woody Harrelson:

7Rm8h4K.jpg

Not so much the brim shape, but the hat itself. Apparently I wasn't the only one, because it was easy to find out the hat was made by a company called Real Deal Brazil and that sales had increased dramatically after the movie was released. Their hats (and subsequently other products) are made from recycled cotton canvas truck tarps discarded by Brazilian trucking companies, so their rough and weathered appearance is completely natural and makes each hat somewhat unique. I liked the concept as much as I liked the hat, so I ordered one.

aJZ3EG3.jpg

Wire in the brim, also recycled from old truck tires, helps to hold the brim shape (such as it is). I do wish the crown was a little taller (my head barely fits), but it's a very comfortable hat that doesn't get too warm during summer months and does an excellent job of keeping the rain off of my head during the autumn and winter months. I haven't worn it much since I started wearing fur felt hats, but dragging it out for these photos rekindled my affection for it so that will probably change as the days pass and summer approaches.

I love this hat. I have wanted one for years but never pulled the trigger. I would wear it the same as I wear my Tilley hats. Sweating in the yard and hiking in the woods. Just need to find a reason to buy one.
Looking good with lots of character. Wear it in good health.
Johnny

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I love this hat. I have wanted one for years but never pulled the trigger. I would wear it the same as I wear my Tilley hats. Sweating in the yard and hiking in the woods. Just need to find a reason to buy one.
Looking good with lots of character. Wear it in good health.
Johnny

I went to the site when Al wrote about it, above. I think it looks cool, but I know me. If I don't jump right away then it's most often a no-go. Anyway, any hat that lays right on the top of my head boils my noggin in the hot sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider