Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

frussell

One Too Many
If I remember, Little Bill was reading some of those old West dime novels, making fun of English Bob, and pronounced the title "Duke of Death" as the "Duck of Death." I was never sure if he was trying to be funny, or if he wasn't much of a reader.

If I remember, Little Bill was reading some of those old West dime novels, making fun of English Bob, and pronounced the title "Duke of Death" as the "Duck of Death." I was never sure if he was trying to be funny, or if he wasn't much of a reader.
I think this interaction between Daggett and Beauchamp...

Little Bill Daggett: "Like the Duck himself, I guess."
W.W. Beauchamp: "The 'Duke'."
Little Bill Daggett: "Duck, I says."

...implies it was indeed an intentional dig at English Bob.

Bryan Cranston in HBO's "All The Way"

bryan-cranston-all-the-way-lbj-dog.jpg

LBJ in his own version.

rzotkejvewkc9vzehshb.jpg

Bryan Cranston in HBO's "All The Way"

bryan-cranston-all-the-way-lbj-dog.jpg

LBJ in his own version.

rzotkejvewkc9vzehshb.jpg

Bob, g.durand and I discussed this awhile back when the flick first aired. Cranston did a fair job playing a 6'4" man at only around 5'11". Though it's widely noted that LBJ wore a Resistol OR clone, I'm struck by the brim width of the hat in the LBJ photo. It appears to be much closer to the 2 1/4" brim of my Churchill Longview than the 2 1/2" - 2 5/8" brim of my two Resistol beaver 25's. Could just be the photo angle. BTW, I want the boots.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday TCM was running Dick Powell and Myrna Loy. I started with The Great Zigfield and ended with their 3 Thin Man movies. (Yes, I did something else besides watch TCM) Plenty o' hats in all of them.
Actually, that would have been William Powell in the Thin Man movies with Myrna Loy. I always like watching those.

william_powell.jpg

Dick Powell was a crooner in the musicals of the 1930s and came out of that type cast role to star in one of film noir's greatest Private Detectives. 1944, "Murder My Sweet". He played the role of Private Detective, Philip Marlowe, a role that Humphrey Bogart also played two years later in, "The Big Sleep" 1946, followed by Robert Montgomery in "The Lady In The Lake" 1947....as well as a few others who played that role afterwards.

Dick_Powell.jpg

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Actually, that would have been William Powell in the Thin Man movies with Myrna Loy. I always like watching those.

william_powell.jpg

Dick Powell was a crooner in the musicals of the 1930s and came out of that type cast role to star in one of film noir's greatest Private Detectives. 1944, "Murder My Sweet". He played the role of Private Detective, Philip Marlowe, a role that Humphrey Bogart also played two years later in, "The Big Sleep" 1946, followed by Robert Montgomery in "The Lady In The Lake" 1947....as well as a few others who played that role afterwards.

Dick_Powell.jpg
You are absolutely correct. My bad, but I've said worse.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Gotta love Powell's hats in those.
Good thought. I'll try to keep "William Powell, Thin Man" in mind as I run though all of the bespokers I can find. Hmmm...where's Myrna Loy? :)

....added...
Mebbe I should add Cary Grant's Topper lid, as long as I can get a 2017 version of Constance Bennett, too, eh?
upload_2016-12-24_18-11-42.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points