Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
The only other place that I have been where I felt anything similar in my chest was on the battlefield at Shiloh.

Shiloh isn't far from me , out from Savannah TN , its a sad place , to me there's a heaviness over the ground . Fort Pillow down on the river is too , and others . I've been to Gettysburg as a kid .
As far as the western campaign and the Indian Wars , I read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee , and used to have the book , somewhere . Many of the conflicts were unavoidable , and the things done to the Men , Women , and Children unconscionable . The many paid for the actions of a few . I could relate to Crazy Horse , Sitting Bull and others trying to protect their people , food supply , and their land . Massacres on both sides , broken treaties , Pox infected blankets , killing off the buffalo in mass , starvation , killing their horses and breeding many with draft horses , taking children from their families , I can see both sides , but to me RR expansion and Big Business pulled some strings , more than the rescue of poor pilgrims and settlers . Men from the Creation of the world will be judged by the RIGHTEOUS JUDGE in that Day .

Sorry for getting off the Thread Topic .

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite movie western hats was Robert Mitchum's, "Blood On The Moon" hat.

blood_on_the_moon_9.jpg

IMG_5010.jpg

I was wanting to find a Resistol HI 75 in Silverbelly to see if I could emulate his hat. Looks to be proportional to it.

Lacks some in accuracy. What makes it interesting is all the sets of brothers. The real gang was always made up of sets of brothers & cousins.
As in most "historical" movies, fact and fiction get mixed. I am just now reading a book on Jesse and his rise from bushwacker to celebrated outlaw. Seems he helped manufacture his own publicity.

There were some great lines in that movie, though.

Confederate officer, author & newspaper man John Newman Edwards was like a one-man PR agent. In the beginning it was all about fighting reconstruction. Jesse Woodson James named his own son Jesse Edwards James & the middle name was to honor John Newman Edwards. He was not named Jesse James Jr like most people think.

db9a54d99f.jpg
Yes, Edwards played a big part in the myth-making.

Yes, Edwards played a big part in the myth-making.
The Robin Hood part is the only myth making. Edwards was the one who brokered Frank's surrender to the governor of Missouri after the assassination of his brother. Frank stood trial 3 times & came away with 3 acquittals.

If you can find a copy of Newman's "Border Ruffians" written in 1877 it is a good read.

RJR

The Robin Hood part is the only myth making. Edwards was the one who brokered Frank's surrender to the governor of Missouri after the assassination of his brother. Frank stood trial 3 times & came away with 3 acquittals.

If you can find a copy of Newman's "Border Ruffians" written in 1877 it is a good read.
Interesting,I'll have to look for the book.

RJR

Jack,is the actual title,"Noted Guerillas"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112