Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Quantrill and his men spent a lot of time in and around here in Sherman especially during winter. There should be some sites around here if you haven't visited yet.
Yes, a lot of his men would winter over in Texas. Frank & Jesse's sister Susan married former Quantrill & gang member Allen Parmer. They settled around Wichita Falls so Frank & Jesse would frequent that area too. But I know of no Quantrill battlesite there.

basbol13

A-List Customer
I think I'd have to go with Michael Keaton as the best Batman, too. I didn't care much for Bale's version. Although, Ben Afleck actually surprised me. I liked him as Batman.
I agree, I've always felt Michael Keaton was underrated. One of my favorite movies is Pacific Heights. He was good in Mr Mom, but Pacific Heights really made me sit up and acknowledge his acting ability. Which reminds me of Fred McMurray (Mr. Flubber and My Three Sons) when he acted in Double Indemnity and The Caine Mutiny. I consider Tom Hanks the Michael Keaton of the present century.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Confederate officer, author & newspaper man John Newman Edwards was like a one-man PR agent. In the beginning it was all about fighting reconstruction. Jesse Woodson James named his own son Jesse Edwards James & the middle name was to honor John Newman Edwards. He was not named Jesse James Jr like most people think.

db9a54d99f.jpg
I've always considered Jesse James as the John Dillinger of the 19th century.

I've always considered Jesse James as the John Dillinger of the 19th century.
It's much, much deeper than all that. For example, when Jesse was just 15 yrs old Federal troops came to the family farm looking for his brother Frank because Frank had already left the regular Confederacy & was riding with Quantrill. They beat Jesse severely trying to get someone in the family to tell them where Frank (& Quantrill) were. When that didn't work they hung Jesse's step-father, Dr. Rubin Samuel, by the neck until he was rendered with brain damage due to lack of oxygen. Dr. Samuel was never right again & he died in the asylum for the mentally ill in St. Joseph, MO.

The next morning at first light Jesse rode to enlist with Quantrill & served under William Anderson.

It's much, much deeper than all that. For example, when Jesse was just 15 yrs old Federal troops came to the family farm looking for his brother Frank because Frank had already left the regular Confederacy & was riding with Quantrill. They beat Jesse severely trying to get someone in the family to tell them where Frank (& Quantrill) were. When that didn't work they hung Jesse's step-father, Dr. Rubin Samuel, by the neck until he was rendered with brain damage due to lack of oxygen. Dr. Samuel was never right again & he died in the asylum for the mentally ill in St. Joseph, MO.

The next morning at first light Jesse rode to enlist with Quantrill & served under William Anderson.
Essentially, Missouri went through its own Civil War during those times.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Yes, a lot of his men would winter over in Texas. Frank & Jesse's sister Susan married former Quantrill & gang member Allen Parmer. They settled around Wichita Falls so Frank & Jesse would frequent that area too. But I know of no Quantrill battlesite there.

I came across a short article on the Texas Historical site about some of Quantrill's "doings" in Texas and along the border.
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fqu03

Essentially, Missouri went through its own Civil War during those times.
The stage was set with the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854. The so-called Border Wars (Kansas-Missouri) started soon after.

Several teenage sisters of some of Quantrill's men were killed when the Union jail collapsed on them (which you never hear about), for which retaliation was the raid on Lawrence, KS just days later:

http://civilwar150.kansascity.com/articles/darryls-jail-story-612/

The raid on Lawrence precipitated the Federal army's General Order #11 just 4 days later. Farms & homes of Confederate sympathizers had to be vacated, they were usually set afire, crops & animals were destroyed:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Order_No._11_(1863)

Bet you were taught in school about the raid on Lawrence but knew nothing of the other events.

OT for the thread so I'm going to leave it alone at this point.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
History classes in the Pacific NW (Washington/Oregon) where I grew up and live only had tv-like coverage. The only thing I can recall hearing about Jesse James is that he was an outlaw. Although I can remember a 10th grade U.S. history class where we discussed the burning of homes and crops in order to leave nothing for the Confederate troops to use.

It wasn't until much later that I read accounts of the heavy-handed Union troops including murder (hangings, shootings, burning people while they were in their homes), rape, etc, etc, etc.

I had family on both sides during the civil war. Mom's family was from the south, Missouri mostly. Dad's family was in Michigan at that time. My maternal great great grandfather was named Powell Jefferson Davis Stratton. Dad's family comes from the Berry and Hasty families in Indiana, and the Hasty side are cousins of ol' Abraham Lincoln. According to a geneaology book of the Berry/Hasty families, we are 2nd cousins of Abe, albeit several generations removed.

I love movies with hats. Sometimes I watch movies on Netflix just to see the hats, and you guys have posted some great hats here!

On a side note I grew up in one of 5 counties known as Lil' Dixie because of the fertile soil & the crops they can produce. There are 2 more counties known as Outer Dixie. In school the athletic conference we played in was known as the Lil' Dixie Conference until ~2005 when someone from New England raised a stink. After that for a couple of yrs they just called it the LDC Conference but the name finally had to be changed to satisfy the stink.

Lee's Summit, MO had a fall street festival for yrs known as Cole Younger Days until someone moved in from the north & complained about it being named after an "outlaw". Now it's just called Fall Fest.

When the University of Missouri played Kansas University in basketball it was known as the Border Wars for yrs. But just a couple of yrs before MU moved to the SEC (& the 150th anniversary of the Civil War) they started calling it the Border Showdown.

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service just recently changed the name of the Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge to the Loess Bluffs National Wildlife Refuge. No word yet if they are also going to change the name of the Creek that supplies water to the natural wetlands.

The Times They Are a-Changin'

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Somebody posted this earlier, and I thought because of the B & W that Eastwood is wearing a black fedora:

385596_large.jpg

However, I've now watched a chunk of the film (White Hunter, Black Heart). The fedora is clearly shown as a very dark brown when sunlight hits it.

Still a cool-looking lid, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm