Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

niv

Familiar Face

Attachments

• Jim Younger.jpg
    Jim Younger.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Cole Younger.JPG
    Cole Younger.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 127
  • Bob Younger.JPG
    Bob Younger.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 138
"The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford"
This is one of the most wonderfully filmed movies I've ever seen; even "simple" scenes like a conversation between two characters in an old weather-beaten shack is perfectly lit and looks beautiful in all it's squalor thanks to Cinematographer Roger Deakins. I don't know how factual it is (I imagine much of it is pure fiction), but it's worth seeing at least once if you don't mind long movies with a slow, deliberate pace, and the hats and wardrobe look authentic enough to a layman like me.

This is one of the most wonderfully filmed movies I've ever seen; even "simple" scenes like a conversation between two characters in an old weather-beaten shack is perfectly lit and looks beautiful in all it's squalor thanks to Cinematographer Roger Deakins. I don't know how factual it is (I imagine much of it is pure fiction), but it's worth seeing at least once if you don't mind long movies with a slow, deliberate pace, and the hats and wardrobe look authentic enough to a layman like me.
Al, it is pretty factual as far as it goes. But lots of little nuances are given that a person would not know & therefore pick up unless you had studied that period in history & his part in it. Where the movie fails I think is in making the viewer understand that Jesse had to be killed & it had to be done ASAP. It wasn't about reward money, the Ford brothers were paid very little for killing him. Their sister, Martha Bolton & her young daughter virtually disappear in history.

It came out in 2007, the same yr as "No Country for Old Men" & another movie which escapes me now. I've always heard that "The Assassination..." only made back about half it's budget according to the bean counters, so it's considered a failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana