Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
Good catch, Doc. Lee Marvin was always a favorite of mine, & he never looked better. Here's my Stetson with a Montana Peak.

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg
Nice hat and boots, HJ! How tall is the crown on your Stetson to make that work nicely?

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Saw a film I had never heard of from 2015... I didn't pick it, I walked into a situation where this was the film du jour...The Dressmaker starring Kate Winslet....Turned out to be a great hat film and the women's fashions were fantastic...It's about a woman fashion designer in the fifties who moves back to her old rural hometown in Austrailia...And it's something of a revenge flik using her dressmaking fashion skills as a weapon. Very interesting for those interested in clothes and hats...I'm thinking most of the men's dress hats must have been Akubras...but I could be wrong, I need to get this film, so I can just check some of these hats out...Off the cuff I saw 4 or 5 I would love to have..Not your normal modern fedoras in a new movie..These hats had straight sides and almost all had very little taper...It is an Austrailia film but I do know as far as the ladies fashions, they said theY collected hundreds of vintage rare pieces...300 for just one of the characters...But they said nothing about the men's hats..So I don't think they were vintage...

If any of you have seen this....are these mostly Akubras?

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
From a 1948 oater called Relentless, with Robert Young and Marguerite Chapman:

RY_Relentless_01.jpg

Young's lid looks like an OR in a shade a little darker than their silverbelly, sweated a bit at the base of the crown, with a darker thin ribbon. In some scenes (I didn't watch the whole film) it seemed to have shallow pinches at the front of the crown, though not here. Very good-looking hat with a moderate brim. I wonder if a Campdraft could be customized to look like it?

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
Doc, I just measured mine & it is ~6-1/2" to 6-3/4" to the peak, best I can measure. The brim is 4", so a good candidate would be the Akubra Woomera at 6.7" open crown. Sorry I didn't get this done yesterday.

IMG_1671.jpg
No worries, mate! Thanks so much for the info and I'll definitely look into purchasing a Woomera.

I actually ordred a Gus from Wild West Mercantile made by Rodeo King several weeks ago and it's still on backorder. I might just cancel that and go this route.

From a 1948 oater called Relentless, with Robert Young and Marguerite Chapman...Young's lid looks like an OR in a shade a little darker than their silverbelly, sweated a bit at the base of the crown, with a darker thin ribbon. In some scenes (I didn't watch the whole film) it seemed to have shallow pinches at the front of the crown, though not here. Very good-looking hat with a moderate brim. I wonder if a Campdraft could be customized to look like it?
I haven't seen the movie, but found it on You Tube and watched a few clips. Akubra's Silverbelly is a bit lighter in color, but the dimensions look pretty close to my far-from-being-an-expert eye. You would have to flatten the Campdraft's brim to some degree, but I think it would be a decent "base" hat to get you something close to Mr. Young's hat.

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
Doc, I just measured mine & it is ~6-1/2" to 6-3/4" to the peak, best I can measure. The brim is 4", so a good candidate would be the Akubra Woomera at 6.7" open crown. Sorry I didn't get this done yesterday.

IMG_1671.jpg

Hey Jack, I was checking out the Woomera on http://everythingaustralian.com.au/woomera-hat.html and they list the crown height as 5.3". I don't think that's going to allow enough room for the Montana Peak. I see they have the Sombrero which is over 7" at the crown but it has a pencil curl brim and vents, so I don't think it would be a very good candidate either. I guess I'll keep my eye out for a tall crown wide-brimmed hat that would work. Any other thoughts?

Hey Jack, I was checking out the Woomera on http://everythingaustralian.com.au/woomera-hat.html and they list the crown height as 5.3". I don't think that's going to allow enough room for the Montana Peak. I see they have the Sombrero which is over 7" at the crown but it has a pencil curl brim and vents, so I don't think it would be a very good candidate either. I guess I'll keep my eye out for a tall crown wide-brimmed hat that would work. Any other thoughts?
Doc, don't know if you did your own conversion from metric or not. If so you must have made an error. Here are the specs & the conversion from metric using an online calculator:

Brim: (102mm). 4.01"

Crown: (170mm). 6.7"

I have two Woomeras & measuring with a tape measure I call it 6.75".

PS: I think this was Michael's pic but this is how a Woomera comes:

IMG_6566.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112