Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hey Jack, I was checking out the Woomera on http://everythingaustralian.com.au/woomera-hat.html and they list the crown height as 5.3". I don't think that's going to allow enough room for the Montana Peak. I see they have the Sombrero which is over 7" at the crown but it has a pencil curl brim and vents, so I don't think it would be a very good candidate either. I guess I'll keep my eye out for a tall crown wide-brimmed hat that would work. Any other thoughts?
You could also check eBay for a Resistol Stagecoach. They usually have about 6 1/2 inch crowns if that would fit what you're looking for. I have a couple nice tall crowned Resistols. I think the hat that Lee Marvin is wearing with the Montana Peak crease may actually be a fedora with the brim flattened out.

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
Doc, don't know if you did your own conversion from metric or not. If so you must have made an error. Here are the specs & the conversion from metric using an online calculator:

Brim: (102mm). 4.01"

Crown: (170mm). 6.7"

I have two Woomeras & measuring with a tape measure I call it 6.75".

PS: I think this was Michael's pic but this is how a Woomera comes:

IMG_6566.jpg
I found another dealer http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akubra-Woomera-Hat-Open-Crown-Sand-/161879333431?var=&hash=item6b4c9bf779 and this one lists it as 170cm which does equal the 6.7" you stated. I wonder if the Everything Australia site is in error or what? Anyway, I think I'm going to order from this eBay site since it agrees with your measurement. Thanks again, Jack!

I found another dealer http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akubra-Woomera-Hat-Open-Crown-Sand-/161879333431?var=&hash=item6b4c9bf779 and this one lists it as 170cm which does equal the 6.7" you stated. I wonder if the Everything Australia site is in error or what? Anyway, I'm going to order from this eBay site since it agrees with your measurement. Thanks again, Jack!
I didn't look at the link in your first post until after I posted. The difference in crown height is because the one you linked is factory creased & not open crown.

PS: Here are mine from when I first got them in:

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_8625.jpg

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
I didn't look at the link in your first post until after I posted. The difference in crown height is because the one you linked is factory creased & not open crown.

PS: Here are mine from when I first got them in:

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_8625.jpg
Ah, that would make sense. The description says open crown but shows it creased, which is probably what they're measuring.

Last edited:

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
You could also check eBay for a Resistol Stagecoach. They usually have about 6 1/2 inch crowns if that would fit what you're looking for. I have a couple nice tall crowned Resistols.
I appreciate the suggestion! Are these wool felt? For as much as I'm going to wear it, it won't suffer much abuse so it probably won't matter much. Though a fur felt Akubra sounds tempting.
I think the hat that Lee Marvin is wearing with the Montana Peak crease may actually be a fedora with the brim flattened out.
That's a thought. Do you run across many fedoras with that tall of a crown? My CD and OR are the tallest I own and think they're around 5 3/4" open crowns and wouldn't work with a MP crease for me.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I appreciate the suggestion! Are these wool felt? For as much as I'm going to wear it, it won't suffer much abuse so it probably won't matter much. Though a fur felt Akubra sounds tempting.That's a thought. Do you run across many fedoras with that tall of a crown? My CD and OR are the tallest I own and think they're around 5 3/4" open crowns and wouldn't work with a MP crease for me.
Resistol Stagecoaches are fur felt. Sometimes you can find them fairly cheap. Here's a couple that I reblocked and reshaped. The Silverbelly is a Gus Crease and the brown one is a Montana Pinch with a Mule Kick in the back. Both with 6.5 inches open crown and 4 inch brims.
My_3_X_Resistol.jpg

gus_pinch_2.jpg

gus_pinch_3.jpg

gus_pinch_1.jpg

fedora_resistol.jpg

Hat_on_radio_2.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

Mule_Kick_3.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

Open_Range_Crease_1.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
@DocCasualty , I think OR's open crown are 5" and CD's are taller . HJ is definitely right about the Woomera . Pretty sure Stagecoaches are fur felt . Another tall crown Hat are Resistol Hi-7's and Hi-7.5's . Resistol Las Vegas and Tall Pine are Hi-7's I think . Basically . What size are you ?
The Hi-7s are hard to come by anymore. Nice hats. I had my on one, but no dice. It got away from me.

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
The Hi-7s are hard to come by anymore. Nice hats. I had my on one, but no dice. It got away from me.
@DocCasualty , I think OR's open crown are 5" and CD's are taller . HJ is definitely right about the Woomera . Pretty sure Stagecoaches are fur felt . Another tall crown Hat are Resistol Hi-7's and Hi-7.5's . Resistol Las Vegas and Tall Pine are Hi-7's I think . Basically . What size are you ?

Resistol Stagecoaches are fur felt. Sometimes you can find them fairly cheap. Here's a couple that I reblocked and reshaped. The Silverbelly is a Gus Crease and the brown one is a Montana Pinch with a Mule Kick in the back. Both with 6.5 inches open crown and 4 inch brims.
My_3_X_Resistol.jpg

gus_pinch_2.jpg

gus_pinch_3.jpg

gus_pinch_1.jpg

fedora_resistol.jpg

Hat_on_radio_2.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

Mule_Kick_3.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

Open_Range_Crease_1.jpg

Great hats and great suggestions, thanks! I wear a size 7 3/8, an exact 59 cm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points