Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
I just saw Kenneth Branagh’s “Murder on the Orient Express,” which was a competent if flawed film but was absolutley beautifully shot, imo. One reason for this was the costuming - there a LOT of nice hats especially in the first half hour or so....

I always enjoyed the 1974 movie -- heck, I still do!-- so hadn't given much attention to this newer release. I hadn't considered the Hat angle! :D

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/murder-on-the-orient-express-costumes-kenneth-branagh

And of course the mandatory Johnny Depp in a fedora shot, which is about all I could get out of Google.

View attachment 109299

Interesting article-- thanks!

From which I viewed this:

Murder%20on%20the%20Orient%20Express%20costumes-04.jpg

Josh Gad's hat/presentation does nothing for me (is he supposed to look like a caricature?!), but I'm all about the brown number to the right (actor with his back to the camera). :cool:

The one to the left, near the train, looks good, too! :)

~ S.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
I always enjoyed the 1974 movie -- heck, I still do!-- so hadn't given much attention to this newer release. I hadn't considered the Hat angle! :D

Interesting article-- thanks!

From which I viewed this:

Murder%20on%20the%20Orient%20Express%20costumes-04.jpg

Josh Gad's hat/presentation does nothing for me (is he supposed to look like a caricature?!), but I'm all about the brown number to the right (actor with his back to the camera). :cool:

The one to the left, near the train, looks good, too! :)

~ S.

This photo is only a taste - there are tons of great hats in the film worn by extras and the male cast alike!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Last edited:
I read elsewhere that it was a snowy river, but i kinda wanted some other opinions.
The single vent grommet on the crown suggests to me that it's an Akubra "The Boss" that had been re-shaped a bit to get the look they wanted, and has certainly had the original leather band replaced with what appears to be a braided horsehair band. But I'm far from being an expert and I'm only making an observation, so don't take my word for it.

I posted this sometime back but it's worth a repost. "Fury" 1936 with Spencer Tracy and Walter Brennan. Check out all those hats.

Fury_02.jpg

Walter Brennan from the same movie
Fury_01.jpg

This made me think that maybe I could fit some of those cheap small vintage hats.
00c1571384b393b18039c69eff1277dd.jpg

Notice how high on his head this guy wears his hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana