Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies That Kill Off the Main Character

DNO

One Too Many
Bridge on the River Kwai: probably the best way to resolve the Colonel Nicholson character.

Lawrence of Arabia: Heck, they kill him off in the opening scenes!

Khartoum: When they are dealing with a historical character like Gordon (or Lawrence, for that matter), they really have little choice.

A Simple Plan, Gran Torino too.

I love it when a studio has the nerve to stick with an ending that is fitting to the story, rather than butchering it for the same of some cheap and easy "happy" ending. For examples of the latter, see Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Little Shop of Horrors.

An example of the latter that I can think of is a movie adaptation of Emile Zola's Nana that I saw many years ago. Unfortunately I can't remember who was in it or when it was made but in the original story the title character dies of smallpox.

Last edited:

vintage68

Practically Family
Didn't read through the whole thread, but I've noticed Denzel Washington seems to die by the end of his films: Training Day, Book of Eli, Man on Fire, Safe House, etc etc. I almost expect it now with his movies.

JAVIER

Practically Family
images

Carlito Brigante (Al Pacino), a fictional Puerto Rican criminal vows to go straight and to retire in paradise. However, his past will not let him, and he unwittingly ends up being dragged into the same criminal activities that got him imprisoned in the first place. Film starts with a wounded Pacino tracing back his life as he is wheeled away on a gurney, Carlito stares at a billboard with a Caribbean beach (so kinda figured it may end with him going) but it still sucks because you find yourself rooting for him to escape his past life and move on to paradise.
carlitosway.jpg
carlitos-way-movie-image-1.jpg

Still one of my favorite films.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto