Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies you wished you had never watched.

Oh, I remember having 'the talk' with my dad. Almost word for word.

"Uh, son, do I have to give you this talk or do you know what's going on?"
"I know, Dad, it's fine."
"Good, I don't wanna do this!"

We all remember when Mom and Dad had that little talk with us about the birds and bees -- Boy, did they learn a lot! :D

Heck, I went to Public School and graduated in '09. I ain't letting my kids go there! I am lucky I didn't turn out worse!

Oh, and careful with the homeschooling. Not that Catholic school's any better! lol (Heck I turned out just fine...just fine...)

Amazing to see who hates movies I liked/loved and vice-versa. Just goes to show ya! I think it's good though. Makes the world go 'round.
That's one of the reasons I enjoy discussing movies so much--hearing about what other people liked or disliked about a given movie. Occasionally the viewpoint of another person will convince me to reconsider my own opinion(s).

It is a shame that Lucas never made that prequel trilogy, it could have been really cool, although it is an even bigger shame that they never released the original trilogy on DVD, I wish I could watch it, but it simply isn't available.
That's not quite accurate. The first release of the not-so-Special-Editions on dvd offered two versions--one was a two-disc set, the second disc being the theatrical version of each movie. They were merely transferred from the laserdiscs and not given the full restoration/proper transfer treatment, but they're easily watchable.

Oh, I remember having 'the talk' with my dad. Almost word for word.

"Uh, son, do I have to give you this talk or do you know what's going on?"
"I know, Dad, it's fine."
"Good, I don't wanna do this!"
At least you got that much. When I was dating my first girlfriend in high school, my "talk" consisted of my mother turning to me one day and casually saying, "I don't want to be a grandmother yet." :D

Oh, Lord. The 'talk' from my mother was awful and something I won't put the Lounge though. It wasn't in depth, just contained context I wish I could clear my mind of ever having absorbed from my mother! Nobody likes to think their parents know anything of such acts.

At least you got that much. When I was dating my first girlfriend in high school, my "talk" consisted of my mother turning to me one day and casually saying, "I don't want to be a grandmother yet." :D

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
The one movie that comes to mind, that I wish that I had never seen,
is Natural Born Killers! While I suppose I understand the point the film was trying to make, it seems to me that the movie was just so exceedingly perverse and violent that it simply had no redeeming values to me whatsoever. I literally wish I could erase the memory of seeing that film from my head. :(

Edward

Bartender
That's not quite accurate. The first release of the not-so-Special-Editions on dvd offered two versions--one was a two-disc set, the second disc being the theatrical version of each movie. They were merely transferred from the laserdiscs and not given the full restoration/proper transfer treatment, but they're easily watchable.

It's hardly what fans wanted, though - it was a sop to those who felt he had destroyed the films they love, true, but only in a typically Lucas, money-grubbing way. Of course, throwing away the superior originals as a cheap extra designed to encourage the market to buy the same product all over again is very Lucas.

It appears I'm still a little bit bitter about it all, eh. ;)

The one movie that comes to mind, that I wish that I had never seen,
is Natural Born Killers! While I suppose I understand the point the film was trying to make, it seems to me that the movie was just so exceedingly perverse and violent that it simply had no redeeming values to me whatsoever. I literally wish I could erase the memory of seeing that film from my head. :(

I appreciate it greatly, but I do wish I could see a Tarantino cut. Quentin Tarantino wrote the original story treatment on which the film is based, but withdrew from the project after falling out with Oliver Stone. For Tarantino, Stone was simply far too blatant in hammering the viewer with the message, which QT had wanted to be more subtle about.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I appreciate it greatly, but I do wish I could see a Tarantino cut. Quentin Tarantino wrote the original story treatment on which the film is based, but withdrew from the project after falling out with Oliver Stone. For Tarantino, Stone was simply far too blatant in hammering the viewer with the message, which QT had wanted to be more subtle about.

I'd also like to see a Tarantino cut of True Romance. Tony Scott's film was fine, but why did he have to cut and paste the script into a linear narrative?

Edward

Bartender
I'd also like to see a Tarantino cut of True Romance. Tony Scott's film was fine, but why did he have to cut and paste the script into a linear narrative?

Oh, I didn't realise he'd done that... I remember reading QT had sold the rights to True Romance to finance making Reservoir Dogs, but I did't know it had been intended to run in a non-linear fashion a la Pulp Fiction. Interesting....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have often wished I never saw the '80s remake of "The Fly." I didn't intend to watch it, but my brother had it going on the TV and I got transfixed and sat thru most of it. Not that it isn't a good picture -- it is -- but it's truly nauseating to look at, and my stomach is easily turned.

I hear they've made an opera out of it. I can't wait till its Met premiere, with Renee Fleming sliding and slipping around the stage in pools of fly vomit.

Seven... Looking For Mr. Goodbar... The Exorcist.... All way too disturbing. Good films but they're all a little like watching a train wreck.

I 'd like to suggest that people read the book -the Excorsist sometime. It gives a lot of insights you did not get outside of the lastest Directors cut with some of the scenes put in.

The Father Merrin conversation on the stairway is really good.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I never had that conversation at all. When I was ten, I read the book my mother had hidden under the dishtowels and learned everything I needed to know. And that was enough to keep me chaste all thru high school.
I suspect now that my mother left a copy of "The Home and Family Medical Encyclopedia" where I'd find it. Clever, these nurses (which was my mom's profession).

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The 1996 remake of Diabolique with Sharon Stone. Dead boring.
The English Patient. Well put together period piece, just what felt like a lifetime wasted.
Seven. We were all disturbed walking out of the theater that night. Wished that we saw A Walk in the Clouds instead.
Battlefield Earth. An abomination and two hours wasted.
Sideways. Total waste of time. I lived in the area they filmed in and the locals hated the aftermath. Great actors, just a poor film that thought it was artful.
I actually liked the first Hitchcock rendition of The Man Who Knew too Much better than his remake. Love James Stewart but it wasn't enough to sell it for me.
Anything with Tom Green in it.

For now that is what I came up with, but I'm sure there is more if I ponder on it long enough.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112